The TV Series discussion thread

*sigh*

Okay, how come noone warned me that also How to Get Away with Murder started airing season 2.
www.imdb.com/title/tt3205802/

Why, thanks everyone!
And I mean it. I don't want to wait week by week for another after another twist the story upside down episode, will wait for the complete season to eat in one marathon.

The latest episode (well, 2 episodes as it was a two-parter) of Dr. Who was really quite good and dealt with the classic paradox for the first time that I've seen, in that the Dr sees something from the future and amends his actions accordingly, creating that future event that couldn't have occurred had he not seen the future. As he simplifies the idea, going back in time to meet Beethoven and playing him something by him that he hasn't written yet, thereby giving him the idea to write it.

I didn't like last season of Doctor Who for several reasons, but I've loved this season so far.

I didn't like last season of Doctor Who for several reasons, but I've loved this season so far.

Yes, the last season was only good for showcasing the new Dr really. The whole school thing with the pretty lame romance sub-plot was exceedingly tiresome, especially as it was often tied to very earthbound and very low-key episodes.

What people often forget, or simply don't know, about Dr. Who is that it shouldn't be viewed in the same way as something like Breaking Bad or The Wire or even CSI as Dr. Who is commissioned as a teens show and will never have pretensions to the more dramatic and fulfilling post 9pm slots that more serious programmes benefit from.

The whole reason people such as Ripper and Joxer have a hard time with it is because it can never be as adult as they want it to be. It's on par with, and should be compared to, Star Trek and the A-Team rather than things like the X-Files or Twin Peaks. And just like Star-Trek and the A-Team it will always have that slight cheesiness that will forever make some episodes appear worse than they actually are to those that always expect something more adult.

So far this series, four episodes in, and we've barely set foot on earth, had some quite mature imagery and not seen any companion romance. Much better than expected if you ask me.

Dr. Who used to work quite happily with a more adult tone and decent writing. I just think the situation is much simpler - it used to be quite good, and now it's shite. I think they've just hired a really poor writing and production team, that makes a weak show. They've had some great actors and a decent budget to work with. With better talent behind the camera, it could be really good.

I can assure you it's always been like that. You likely think Tom Baker was good because you were the target age at that time and are now stuck with nostalgia goggles.

The whole reason people such as Ripper and Joxer have a hard time with it is because it can never be as adult as they want it to be. It's on par with, and should be compared to, Star Trek and the A-Team rather than things like the X-Files or Twin Peaks. And just like Star-Trek and the A-Team it will always have that slight cheesiness that will forever make some episodes appear worse than they actually are to those that always expect something more adult.

It's funny that you mention this, because I never saw any Doctor Who from the old series. When the new series started I didn't know what it was about, only that there was a lot of buzz in the Internet, so I got curious and got the first DVD of the first season (Netflix was only DVDs back then). It's like you say, I was expecting something more serious, (don't know why you put Star Trek in the 'light' side, to me that's what I was hoping for, something serious). Instead I got some silliness about mannequins coming to life with guns in their hands. I watched the first 4 episodes that were in the DVD and canceled the rest… totally not interested.
About 3 years later, now Netflix had the streaming thing, it was there so one day I decided to give it another chance. I watched the rest of the first season, then started 2nd season, got addicted, binge watched the following 3 seasons in like 2 weeks, got up to date. During the off-season I decided to look for the old series, so downloaded some huge torrent with all the old episodes (and those that were missing, had some image stills with the audio playing). Watched all the 25 or so seasons. So guess I'm a total whovian!

I can assure you it's always been like that. You likely think Tom Baker was good because you were the target age at that time and are now stuck with nostalgia goggles.

No, Tom Baker was before my time. But I watched a few of them over the years, and there was a markedly more serious style in the older ones, which I think is shown in the clip.But it's not a lighter style that bothers me, i just think they've got a very unfunny and smug way of doing it.

I've always thought that when you bring magic or fantasy science fiction into play, you have to be careful not to get so carried away with fantastic possibilities that the plot starts to break down and lose its drama. This is one of the chief sins of the reboot, and the plots are as about as coherent as The Dinosaur that Pooped the Past.

No, Tom Baker was before my time. But I watched a few of them over the years, and there was a markedly more serious style in the older ones, which I think is shown in the clip.But it's not a lighter style that bothers me, i just think they've got a very unfunny and smug way of doing it.

It's funny ... Tom Baker was "my Doctor", and I actually found the ones after him significantly lacking in many ways until it REALLY became craptastic before it shut down. By contrast I find the newer ones charming and funny and engaging. Guess it hits each of us in a different way, like many of these things.

I would certainly agree that the final days of the old series were the most craptastic of all. It might never have been cancelled if they hadn't sunk so low.

The whole reason people such as Ripper and Joxer have a hard time with it is because it can never be as adult as they want it to be.
'xcuse me, but I'm not sure what are you talking about.

I saw a trailer for a new series, "Supergirl." God, does it look awful. Hollywood, music, & television are all in the shitter nowadays. Truly terrible crap coming from all 3.

I saw a trailer for a new series, "Supergirl." God, does it look awful. Hollywood, music, & television are all in the shitter nowadays. Truly terrible crap coming from all 3.

They're not going to stop until every semi-popular comic book hero has a movie or series about them.

Everything old is good, everything new is bad. Never understood this thinking.

There's been good and bad stuff from all mediums throughout history. That hasn't changed. What probably has changed is you.

I'm glad I have the ability to appreciate the old and new.

New shows I'm enjoying.

Quantico, limitless, minority report and of course the new season of walking dead.

Will walking dead ever actually conclude ..I mean is it just about the characters

What I've noticed is that most of the shows that the wife and I like are not network tv shows. The Leftovers, Fargo, Narcos, House of Cards, I don't think these would ever make it on network tv these days. It is almost like the vast majority of channels are trying to cater to everyone, and that is just going to lead to a lot of bland tv.

The niche shows, now that's where I find my entertainment. There are some network shows we watch, but not many. Even shows like 'Thrones and Walking Dead pale in comparison to their own roots in print form.

Quantico, limitless, minority report and of course the new season of walking dead.

We are continuing to enjoy Quantico ... it has remained engaging each week. Neither Limitless nor Minority Report hooked my wife (I might have given them more time), so we'll see how everything else goes.

Like Madame Secretary, but it is on late and not on Hulu so it is hard to keep up to date.

Everything old is good, everything new is bad. Never understood this thinking.

There's been good and bad stuff from all mediums throughout history. That hasn't changed. What probably has changed is you.

I'm glad I have the ability to appreciate the old and new.

New shows I'm enjoying.

I didnt say "everything" old is good & everything new is bad in any way, shape or form. Yes, there are some good shows. Criminal Minds, HTGAWM, Blacklist, Blue Bloods,Chicago Fire, Chicago PD,etc. I appreciate & love those shows. Most of Hollywood is just remake after remake after remake, sequels and "re-imaginings.". A few good movies, sure. Most music is these god-awful, auto-tuned to the hilt, manufactured pop "stars." They just find someone with the look they want, and enhance their voice with auto-tune & other electronics to make them sound good. Of course, they can't actually sing, so they lip-sync during concerts. And these stupid singing shows are just pure shit, and most of these so-called winners are dropped by the record companies within a few months. They have given us nobody worthwhile. Carrie Underwood, whose voice makes my ears bleed, & Kelly Clarkson, who had to cancel TWO tours, because she couldnt even fill a 5,000 seat venue. Mean while, many of the bands I listened to during the 70's are STILL going strong, 40 years later. Stones, Aerosmith, Eagles, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, ZZ Top, etc. Are you honestly going to tell me that One Direction is going to be going strong in 2055?? Britney Spears? Miley Cyrus? Or ANY rap or hip-hop artist? PUH-leeze

There was crap when I was young. of course there was (disco). But the 70's was an amazing decade of music. in my opinion the best ever and won't be topped. There IS some good stuff nowadys. But the vast majority of whats coming from all 3 is pure garbage.

I laugh when somethings funny. I cry when somethings sad. I watch when something is interesting. I listen when something is good. I haven't changed, nor have my tastes.

And I do like Quantico, Limitless, and a few other new shows. I havent seen Minority Report and I will never see walking dead. I just can't stand zombies. Overdone to the hilt.

Last edited:
After two superb seasons, aussie sci fi lighthearted comedy series targetted to whole family, gets a movie:
http://www.matchboxpictures.com/whats-happening/nowhere-boys-the-movie/
Nowhere Boys: The Book of Shadows

Multi award-winning ABC3 series starts production on a feature-length movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OAcxe8cOZQ

Corwin will watch it 01.01.2016. according to imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4836736/

The rest of us will wait for a while just as with series, but nevertheless, I just can't wait!

Thanks for the Doctor Who heads up guys. My DVR completely disregarded the series 9 and now I'm 4 episodes behind. Fortunately a repeat episode is coming up tomorrow and I will only be 3 behind. The only available repeats I could find are on Amazon video - Hulu only goes up to series 8.

As far as the rebooted series itself. In my book the show still presents interesting and compelling Sci Fi stories and ideas that are worthy of attention, albeit wrapped in a fairly juvenile package. And occasionally like the episode Blink, they come out with an out and out classic.

I'm glad the series is still on and now have a mini Doctor Who marathon to look forward to . . .

Back
Top Bottom