Witcher 3 - Play as Triss, Yennefer, or Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I came to believe that noone who states an opinion makes it sound like they know it's the only truth. Usually their opponents feel like that's what's happening from frustration of being presented with a different opinion, but that's their own problem :)

It would take us all too much time if we kept saying "in my opinion" or "I don't speak for everyone" at the start of each sentence. I think we all understand that what we're speaking is only our opinion ;)

So true. +1 +1 +1

You argue very emotionally and are subject to a lot of the same bias that you try and critique others with.
Arguing emotionally is not bad and doesn't make a person stupid or irrational or biased. I'm so tired of that old myth. Emotion is a part of life, without it you're nothing but vegetation. If you think that you post without being driven and motivated by emotion, that's a very big delusion. As someone familiar with heavily depressed individuals I can tell you what happens when a person is not in touch with emotion anymore: they do nothing.

And of course she is emotional after you say stuff like "What I detest is where gender issues are created where there need be none". Please try walking up to a gay person and say that by supporting LGBT marriage rights they merely were creating a fuss where they needed be none. You'll see how emotional he gets. Basically you're provoking people with such statements. It's clear as daylight they'd find them offensive.

Arguing emotionally is not bad and doesn't make a person stupid or irrational or biased. I'm so tired of that old myth. Emotion is a part of life, without it you're nothing but vegetation. If you think that you post without being driven and motivated by emotion, that's a very big delusion. As someone familiar with heavily depressed individuals I can tell you what happens when a person is not in touch with emotion anymore: they do nothing.

And of course she is emotional after you say stuff like "What I detest is where gender issues are created where there need be none". Please try walking up to a gay person and say that by supporting LGBT marriage rights they merely were creating a fuss where they needed be none. You'll see how emotional he gets. Basically you're provoking people with such statements. It's clear as daylight they'd find them offensive.

Your example is terrible. If your example gay person was attending a car convention protesting discrimination and oppression at the lack of hot pink cars as a stock option my answer would be the same as the original post here. Companies know that only X# of people are gonna buy a hot pink car so they are not gonna offer it as a choice unless it makes sense financially.
I agreed with a lot of what Aub says about choice etc. I disagree with demonizing any company that doesnt specifically and vocally announce they are catering to a minority. Turning a business decision into an anti-minority rant doesnt help anyone. It just makes people look like foolish antagonisers and often hurts their cause with the general bystanders rather than helps it.

I disagree with demonizing any company that doesnt specifically and vocally announce they are catering to a minority. Turning a business decision into an anti-minority rant doesnt help anyone.
How exactly do you know that we're talking about a minority here? I think Aubrielle tried quite hard to prove differently in the thread. But her proof was dismissed.

I remember reading a study that studied the popularity of genres like PC RPG, horror, shooters specifically, so you can't use the "cellphone games argument", and it found out pretty much the same.

If you want random proof, then take the modern King's Bounty series. The first game forced you to be a male, but was very popular, it gathered a large number of fans. The sequel, which forced you to play a female, Armoured Princess/Crossworlds, went on to become the favourite of the series, the BG2 of the series if you like.

I still think this is mostly a storm in a teacup as far as RPGs go as I don't see why anyone would play Gothic/Risen/Witcher in the first place if they have very specific views, heck I don't play them for other reasons, let alone niche-like politics. I mean, there's a whopping two development teams behind all 9 games and both of those are Central European rather than Atlantic or Pacific, so there's no issue of 'industry wide' here, and Witcher has the very valid excuse that they're just doing a book. So it's just a general complaint about Piranha Bytes really, and one they get every game regardless of sexism because RPG fans do prefer character creation choices. You don't even need to pressure the sexism angle to criticise those games, just the RPG angle is enough.

However, I do agree with Purpleblob that if people are determined to make single character story RPGs then it wouldn't hurt to try the King's Bounty method and alternate titles between male and female, seems pretty logical and fair to me.

I don't think neutral language is desirable. I like the differences between people of different gender/culture etc or just difference in general. Difference should be celebrated not avoided in language or otherwise for fear of upsetting people who are different in other ways. Bottom line, never apologise for who you are because if that offends someone then that is that persons problem.

Sorry, I deleted your Christmas analogy as I don't think it's in any way similar, the point stands on its own without it.

Having neutral language wouldn't render the separation null and void, having neutral language simply offers more options for people telling narratives. The Nameless One, for example, would have been much more interesting with an unknown gender, for example, but from a narrative perspective it would look really ugly having to refer to him (<-see) as "it" or "thing", words more commonly associated with horror movies.

Likewise with series like the Bond franchise, we've seen so much Him, His, Machismo, Misogynist etc etc etc that it's now embedded him (<-see) into a very tight spot where it's becoming harder each year to relate to the character. If the series had started with neutral language then Bond could be interchanged with any gendre without a second glance, we would know we're just watching neutral cold assassins, not potential husbands/wives.

In order to have a romance movie though you'd still be fully required to use gender specific terminology, because the characters will be defined by their sexual or emotional attraction. Many products could be converted to neutral language without much issue though.

That would be an example of subjective opinion, not random proof.

Well, first off, Princess does have better Metacritic scores, both reviewer and public. While Metacritic is not solid evidence, it is still evidence for consideration, particularly as 1C Company are neither loathed by trolls nor on the prettyboy AAA list of 10/10 GOTY type reviews, so the score is factually more meaningful for this series.

Secondly, Armored Princess is still the only game in the series to get an official proper expansion, which has to mean something factual, again, maybe not to conclusivity, but it's evidence for consideration.

Actual sales figures for the series are very hard to come by as are polls for people's favourites, but as a follower of the series that was definitely the impression I got from day to day, and while my observations might not be conclusivity, they are certainly evidence worth considering.

Anyway… on topic… I checked out the mod and it works perfectly!

Rejoice, whoever wanted to play a different male character, as well: various male characters from the game are in the plans!

The only minor hiccup awaits those who want to proceed their game instead of playing a new one: it would seem that you need to start a fresh game for everything to be displayed correctly.

P.S. Geralt is ugly in my opinion, no codpiece could ever fix that :) But of course tastes differ.
He's not ugly.
It's just he's not cute. Because of the media and Hollywood where only cutes are being pushed onto the audience, both males and females, Geralt's looks is totally refreshing.

IMO, ofc

He's not ugly.

It's just he's not cute. Because of the media and Hollywood where only cutes are being pushed onto the audience, both males and females, Geralt's looks is totally refreshing.

IMO, ofc

Agreed. Ugly or not I think that's the whole point of his look - he's too focused on his job & survival to really care about grooming himself.

I also like the fact that women are attracted to him despite his raw look. It reflects a more practical time where manly qualities were valued more than superficial ones.

Eh, I must be going crazy, but for once I agree with HHR

If I were a chick I'd rather go with this

hugh-jackman-wolverine.jpg

over this

justin-bieber-canada.jpg

Not enough Hugh Jackman/Wolverine threads here.

That's why I love women. So I don't have to pick between nasty sweaty meatcake (example a) or……Bieber-creature (example b). *shudder*

Oh, and…for what it's worth, a lot of the straight chicks I know think Bieber is a little b*tch. Just sayin. :) They'd probably take Wolverine.

Last edited:
He's not ugly.

IMO, ofc
"Cute" men are usually not my thing, either. I like really feminine men, preferably with long hair, those who can cook and are sensitive and emotional and kind. They're amazing.

Manly men or smart men just put me off… As well as "cute" men, who aren't cute in my opinion, b/c they're almost the same as a "manly man" in character and have all those features I dislike. Basically I like those men who don't comform to the norm in appearance and\or character.

So… not much luck for me to find a gaming male avatar whom I'd be attracted to! Geralt is pretty average looking, but he's more than "manly", and that's why I called him "ugly". Appearance and character combined makes him ugly for me. There's more luck with JRPGs, but alas their characters are mostly kids. Kids!

All that said, just today we've got a massive update to the mod which noone discusses in this thread :rolleyes: Now you can choose to play not only as abovementioned four ladies, but many more ladies and gentlemen, as well! :)

I thought the stories about women only playing phone like games, were already debunked quite some time ago and that a large amount of women are actual serious gamers. I find it strange that there are still plenty of men thinking women are not serious gamers. Ignorance must be a bliss I suppose. It still is stupid though.
Women are part of a large group of players and this thread shows how many men feel uncomfortable with it that these women also have an opinion.

On a side note I also cook ;)

Women are part of a large group of players and this thread shows how many men feel uncomfortable with it that these women also have an opinion.

I've read this thread several times to see where Aubrielle got the "women have opinions therefore people riot" from. I still don't get it. If someone could point out where anyone even inferred that they were uncomfortable about opinions etc that would be great.

Maybe my english isn't as great as I thought it was because I sure can't find it. The gender issue still seems to come from nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom