Fallout 4 - A Final Goodbye

Steamspy stats:
Fallout 1:
Owners: 755,971 ± 18,714
Players in the last 2 weeks: 13,415 ± 2,496 (1.77%)
Fallout 2:
Owners: 774,752 ± 18,945
Players in the last 2 weeks: 10,488 ± 2,207 (1.35%)

Now these are facts. So shut up with bullshit already.
(I don't think RPGWatch + RPGCodex have enough people to alone own and play these games so much)

Well, these are sad and nostalgia-driven days we are living now, so… Anyway, are those numbers so meaningful? I'm sure there are much more than 2500 video game geeks about my age who have no life, no other hobbies, no family, don't have to work too many hours, so they occupy the vacuum in their pathetic lives playing and replaying the same old, ugly, absurd (c'mon, MacGyver as a voice actor? Gimme' a break!), poorly written, strictly based on a conversion of pen & paper rules into computer game (thus, very mechanic, soulless and sterile).
And, as the same old (or not so old) geeks have always been very vocal on the Internet (vide any RPG forum, namely The RPGWatch) they convinced young nerdy hipsters who are always looking for trends from the past, that old games are the good games, and new games are rubbish (except if they were made to look like old games. In that case they are most probably good games too).
ALL THAT I STATED BEFORE IS MY OPINION, IT IS NOT BASED ON RELIABLE FACTS, ONLY MY OBSERVATION AND THE CONCLUSIONS THE OBSERVATION LED ME TO.

And now I'll shut up with my bullshit.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Bethesda included the classic Fallout games in a special edition, so that might have led to more people playing those artifacts in the last weeks.

Last edited:
There are plenty of very old cars in the world out there. Some of those cars are classic and amazing. You can find those in museums or private collections or even on sale. You can certainly drive some of these rare old classic cars, no problem.

With each passing year old classic RPG games are also falling into similar category of collectors oddities. You can still obtain it. They may even run on modern PC. Some people are happy to have it in their collections. Some people are still amazed looking at those rarities, but personally I don't belong to any oddity collector's group and I don't want to.

Actually the complete set of FALLOUT 1 and FALLOUT 2 SteamSpy statistics seem to pretty clearly show that the typical Steam player actually did consider FALLOUT 1 and 2 "unplayable" as a practical matter.

In particular, the complete SteamSpy statistics (shown below) for FALLOUT 1 show that over one-third of FALLOUT 1 owners have never even played the game; and the 65% of owners who actually did play the game only played for a total median playtime (each) of 00:58. Thus the typical Steam player quit FALLOUT 1 after about an hour of playtime.

The numbers are even worse for FALLOUT 2, showing that nearly 60% of FALLOUT 2 owners have never played the game; and the 41% of owners who actually did play the game only played for a total median playtime (each) of 00:55. Thus the typical Steam player quit the game, again, after about an hour of playtime.

By comparison the numbers for FALLOUT 4 show that only 1.5% of FALLOUT 4 owners have never played the game; and the 98.5% of owners who are playing FALLOUT 4 have played for a total median playtime (each) of 52:31; thus, the typical Steam player has played FALLOUT 4 for a time of over 52 hours.

Complete Owner, Player, and Playtime statistics for FALLOUT 1, 2 and 4

FALLOUT 4
Owners: 2,865,959 ± 36,291
Players in the last 2 weeks: 1,132,189 ± 22,886 (39.5%)
Players total: 2,822,667 ± 36,019 (98.49%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 52,618
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 15:47 (average) 06:09 (median)
Playtime total: 72:10 (average) 52:31 (median)

FALLOUT 1
Owners: 755,971 ± 18,714
Players in the last 2 weeks: 13,415 ± 2,496 (1.77%)
Players total: 484,631 ± 14,992 (64.11%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 141
Peak on Twitch yesterday: 3 viewers, 1 channels
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 03:07 (average) 00:29 (median)
Playtime total: 05:30 (average) 00:58 (median)

FALLOUT 2
Owners: 774,752 ± 18,945
Players in the last 2 weeks: 10,488 ± 2,207 (1.35%)
Players total: 318,413 ± 12,156 (41.1%)
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 140
Peak on Twitch yesterday: 8 viewers, 3 channels
Playtime in the last 2 weeks: 03:40 (average) 00:31 (median)
Playtime total: 09:37 (average) 00:55 (median)

Derived Statistics for FALLOUT 1, 2, and 4

FALLOUT 4
(Players total) / (Owners total) = 0.985
98.5 % of owners have played game for a median total playtime (each) of 52:31
1.5 % of owners have never played game

FALLOUT 1
(Players total) / (Owners total) = 0.641
64.1 % of owners have played game for a median total playtime of 00:58
35.9 % of owners have never played game

FALLOUT 2
(Players total) / (Owners total) = 0.411
41.1 % of owners have played game for a median total playtime of 00:55
58.9 % of owners have never played game

__

Last edited:
You missed the point. I never claimed that Fo1 is more popular than Fo4. Of course it is not (just like movies like Avatar are more popular than good movies :p). I just used facts to beat his foolish statement that nobody except people from places like RPGWatch would play Fo1 or Fo2.

You missed the point. I never claimed that Fo1 is more popular than Fo4. Of course it is not (just like movies like Avatar are more popular than good movies :p). I just used facts to beat his foolish statement that nobody except people from places like RPGWatch would play Fo1 or Fo2.

Although you apparently believed that my post was directed only at you (it wasn't) you apparently missed the original discussion regarding "playability" of the FALLOUT 1 and 2 (the issue to which my comments were directed).

I simply found the complete FALLOUT 1 and 2 statistics to be pretty interesting for the reasons discussed.

__

Why are people still playing FO1 on Steam since DRMfree versions are dirtcheap?
Or maybe better to ask...
Since when steamspy statistic is relevant for games that are not DRMed by steamworks?

I can't imagine a young person spending any more that 10 hours playing any game. Less if it wasn't total voice, less again if half of it wasn't cut scenes and not all a lot if you had to think and solve something like a puzzle.

Come on, Celtic. My 18 year old son has played every ultima start to finish, all the IE games, wizardry, even Zork and too many others to list. He's now playing underrail while fallout 4 that he got for Christmas remains untouched.

My 13 yo. Son has beaten gothic 2&3 and has several games with hundreds of hours spent.

Maybe your just out of touch with the younger crowd or your lumping a whole segment of people together based on your experience with a very small portion of this segment.

Anyway I have no problem with people hating on FO4. I can understand some point for and against it. I think it's an ok game overall but have lost interest after 40 hours and have moved on to dragons dogma. I'll probably go back after more mods are released.

I do have a problem though with the insinuation that people that like the game are fanboi's, have low standards or are somehow less of a gamer because of it. That's total BS.

I guess I'm a fanboi with low standards when playing FO4 and an enlightened gamer of the highest regard when playing underrail.:lol:

Or maybe, just maybe I and many others have the uncanny ability to enjoy games of all types.

Fact: Fallout 4 is a bad port
Fact 2: Fallout 4 has many bugs
Fact 3: Fallout 4 is a 1inch deep ocean

I'm glad we finally agree

Are you the Messiah?

My cult isn't taking hipsters as members at the moment, but ill dispatch a servant to timely notify you if youre interested

Well, these are sad and nostalgia-driven days we are living now, so…

In the last year or so , I played for the first time ever

Wizardry 8
Might and Magic 7 Blood and Honor
Star Control 2 the Ur Quan Masters
Return from Krondor
Wizards and Warriors

I loved them all. In fact I enjoyed them more consistently than new titles overall. So, my nostalgia is very young.

But this concept that you cannot enjoy classic games/books/movies and must go straight for the modern titles is amusing rubbish, please go on
filing_kitty.gif

Last edited:
I guess I'm a fanboi with low standards when playing FO4 and an enlightened gamer of the highest regard when playing underrail.:lol:

You can play it ,I played it, we all played it, but when you start defending rubbish you look like a fanboy or just are ill-informed which is usual the case

And yeah, that game underrail (made by 1 student from a country people didn't know existed) is 10000x more fallouty than FO3 or FO4 (multi-million dollar projects).
Amazing isn't it :)

Or maybe, just maybe I and many others have the uncanny ability to enjoy games of all types.

I enjoyed FO4 . I enjoyed it as a repetitive hack&slash game. So not very much. Miniscule short-term fun or having a ride for 2 afternoons is not enough for a multi-million dollar corporation + cult IP… But keep reducing the standard, eventually you'll be *delighted* with having only 1 dialogue option in Fallout 5, and will joyously jump on Todd's dick regardless

Last edited:
You can play it ,I played it, we all played it, but when you start defending rubbish you look like a fanboy or just are ill-informed which is usual the case

And yeah, that game underrail (made by 1 student from a country people didn't know existed) is 10000x more fallouty than FO3 or FO4 (multi-million dollar projects). Amazing

I enjoyed FO4 . I enjoyed it as a repetitive hack&hack and slash game. So not very much.

It's hard to tell anything when you're game is 50% complete, so lets wait a couple of years for modders to first finish the product shall we

I like underrail better than fo4 as well but they are 2 different games aimed at 2 very different demographics. I won't call FO4 rubbish though. I'll just say it's ok and leave it at that. I think just like skyrim it will mod up to be a good to very good experience but in its current state it's just ok.

I enjoyed FO4 . I enjoyed it as a repetitive hack&slash game. So not very much. Miniscule short-term fun or having a ride for 2 afternoons is not enough for a multi-million dollar corporation + cult IP… But keep reducing the standard, eventually you'll be *delighted* with having only 1 dialogue option in Fallout 5, and will joyously jump on Todd's dick regardless
That is how I played it as well and pretended it wasn't called Fallout.
But long term Grim Dawn is a better H&S game.

I like underrail better than fo4 as well but they are 2 different games aimed at 2 very different demographics.

Very true… one game is part of the incline, the other is part of the decline

I think just like skyrim it will mod up to be a good to very good experience

Ofcourse, no doubt about that. Bethtodd intended that from the start.

Why spend money on overworked personnel, good programmers, or whatever, when you can divert resources into marketing (skyrim), and let the fans finish the game ??

Then they come back, and take all the undeserved credit from expanded functionality, everyone hops on their dick for it, promising to buy anything with a Fallout logo on it

Brilliant. They also replaced human writers with automated radiant garbage so they can spend more $$$ elsewhere.

but in its current state it's just ok.

Its current state is pathetic. Any Bethesda game without mods is very weak. The way they always operated is good toolset + bad port

Last edited:
But this concept that you cannot enjoy classic games/books/movies and must go straight for the modern titles is amusing rubbish, please go on
filing_kitty.gif

Games are not comparable to literature and cinema (comparable to movies, not cinema). Literature and cinema and arts, video games are entertainment. When video games step into the art territory they loose playability, and, supposedly, you are all for games that are about gaming, not watching cut scenes, right?

Games are not comparable to literature and cinema

Literature and cinema and arts, video games are entertainment.

That's a BIG question

Cinema isn't entertainment? Adventure novels aren't? ahahahhahahaha

I do have a problem though with the insinuation that people that like the game are fanboi's, have low standards or are somehow less of a gamer because of it. That's total BS.

I do think that is the main problem in all this threads about Fallout 4 (and not only Fallout 4). Theres a number of RPGWatch member that can't quit using the expression "fanboy" applied to anyone who dares to claim they like Fallout 4, or even worse, that it might be a good game, or total chaos, a good RPG!
Accusing people of being dumb, imbecile and having low standards has already become a norm around here, and that's applied to a lot of tastes that go way beyond Bethesda Studios products.

That's a BIG question

Cinema isn't entertainment? Books aren't? ahahahhahahaha

You are so full of it, that you can't understand how childish and silly you can get. Entertainment can't be art, even if art can be entertaining. Now go play with your Lego.

Literature and cinema and arts, video games are entertainment.
No.
Anything can be entertaining or entertainment. Even watching a sky.

But not everything can be arts.
Games can. In fact we do have pieces of art out there and enormous amount of junkware. Then again, we have that also in literature and in cinema. And in painting and in comics and in photography and in music and etc.

There are nostalgic nerds in other foruns/ sites as well. No Mutants Allowed, for example. Sum them all up, all around the world and you'll find that there are many. My claim was not that only a very little niche of people play games like Fallout 1 and 2. Sadly, it's the opposite, probably there are much more people playing them now than 5 years ago, before the nostalgia driven crowdfunding of retro games began. There are a lot of people playing old stuff, but they are still (and I hope it will keep like that) a minority.

No.
Anything can be entertaining or entertainment. Even watching a sky.

But not everything can be arts.
Games can. In fact we do have pieces of art out there and enormous amount of junkware. Then again, we have that also in literature and in cinema. And in painting and in comics and in photography and in music and etc.

You are using entertaining and entertainment as synonyms, I wasn'. By entertainment I was only including products, be it books, movies, games, whatever that were not meant to be artistic (or failed), but only meant to amuse, to distract. Of course everything can amuse or distract one who is interested in it, even a Bergman film.

I do think that is the main problem in all this threads about Fallout 4 (and not only Fallout 4). Theres a number of RPGWatch member that can't quit using the expression "fanboy" applied to anyone who dares to claim they like Fallout 4, or even worse, that it might be a good game, or total chaos, a good RPG!
Accusing people of being dumb, imbecile and having low standards has already become a norm around here, and that's applied to a lot of tastes that go way beyond Bethesda Studios products.

Thank you, was beginning to feel alone in saying that....any thread of a game these guys dub as not their cup of tea gets filled with posts about the game get indirectly called stupid or imbeciles because instead of calling the member that they put it in their blast of bile stating anyone who likes this is blah blah blah...An easy way to attack then whine when someone calls them out that they made it "personal".

Back
Top Bottom