"Nextgen" GPUs

Well, if the 15 frames / probably a little tweak in the options is worth the money for you then go ahead, but in your case I wouldn't upgrade.
Your CPU won't hold back the system though as it's still more or less the fastest on the market for games.

Well, if the 15 frames / probably a little tweak in the options is worth the money for you then go ahead, but in your case I wouldn't upgrade.
Your CPU won't hold back the system though as it's still more or less the fastest on the market for games.

I'm hoping for a lot more than 15 frames with a 1080 gtx. I'm even hoping on rendering at 4k, and according to what they trumpet, the 1080 should handle that. I'm certainly not going to upgrade just for the extra 15 fps.

Ah, yeah, sure, if you got the monitor for that.
It just sounded like you were sad about the missing 15 fps. ^^
I mean more than 60 fps is a nice to have, but doesn't bring tons of value. But if you want to upgrade to 4k thats another story.

Ah, yeah, sure, if you got the monitor for that.
It just sounded like you were sad about the missing 15 fps. ^^
I mean more than 60 fps is a nice to have, but doesn't bring tons of value. But if you want to upgrade to 4k thats another story.

I don't have a 4k monitor yet, just a 2k, Dell U2715H. But I plan on rendering at 4k and scaling down. Maybe in the future I'll get a 4k one.

I want to see Witcher 3 running buttersmooth at 2k. I also wonder how well my current system will do with the 1080. Anyway, we'll see.

Well, for The Witcher 3 they got official numbers on their website (see attached image) so about +60% or 70% faster than a GTX 980.
Since it is official numbers, we have to take it with truck loads of salt, of course (could be max OC'ed GTX 1080 vs. stock 980).

I'm in the same boat as you with a GTX 980 (MSI) and I'll probably buy a GTX 1080 but not right away. I will wait for AMD Polaris competition and for nice GTX 1080 OC custom models (MSI/Palit/Gainward/Gigabyte) which will probably be available much later than May/June.

My guess is that Polaris and nVidia custom models and availability and pricing will not fully settle in before late August or September (Polaris was rumored to be a back to school thing) so there is plenty of time to watch the early adopter circus and then strike when the time is right :) .

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 75
Was wondering about availability of the 3rd party retailer cards as well.
But when I checked for the Gainward Phantom 970 I was surprised to see that it was reviewed just a week after the general release of the GTX 970.
Now the Phantom 970 is only "medium" overclocked, but still. Hopes are high that I can get my hands on the Phantom 1070 in June/July. ^^

GTX 1070 availability should theoretically be much better from the start because it uses the good old regular GDDR5 as opposed to GDDR5X on the 1080, the latter of which may be in short supply as Micron is still in the process of ramping up mass production.
The only thing holding things back on the GTX 1070 front might be nVidia's founder's edition and contractual obligations for the board partners to not release custom designs before date x but without any such shenanigans there really is no reason indeed why GTX 1070 custom designs shouldn't be shipping straight away in June.

Dunno about others but I've said already I'm a graphics whore. :D
Not that I insist on visuals, the fact is I enjoy a good story much more, but when a game is eyecandy I can't pretend I don't like it - I hate when beside the graphics spectacle there is nothing else to enjoy.

But doesn't it feel good when a RPG gets used as benchmark?
Previously they'd use some Ubisoft's broken garbage that's not even close to RPG.

I will admit I don't stay up on all the new CPUs and GPUs, at least not like I did when I was younger.

I spent most of my bonus on a family trip in the winter, I just bought my wife a new car and redoing the part of my house.

So I felt it might be time to buy Celtic something new as this system is 5 years old.

This has confused me completely, there is no new game coming out in the next few months I have to have that would need a new system so am I better to hold off?

Sure. If you don't have the need to update, then don't do it.
I mean as mentioned before, I am still running a gtx 260. ^^
But now is the time for me to upgrade as I cannot even start games like Fallout 4 anymore and others are stuttering quite a bit.
But if I had a GTX 760 or 960 or something better, I wouldn't upgrade until I really need it for VR for example (I also use a normal 1080p screen and have no urge to go 4k).

My take is that even though NVIDIA appears to have achieved major technological improvements, the new capabilities available from the improved technology most likely can't or won't be used by most gamers in the near term.

In particular the new cards provide outstanding benefits for VR and 4K gaming, summed up by one review as follows:

The raw, pixel crunching potential of [NVIDIA'S 1079 AND 1080] cards is important for two reasons. The first is that VR demands 90fps gameplay at a resolution of 2K and the second is that 4K gaming will soon become more mainstream. Of the current generation graphics cards, only the GTX 980Ti and Titan X (and AMD equivalents of course) can hope to meet those requirements with aplomb.

Nevertheless adoption of VR and 4K gaming by gamers en masse doesn't appear particularly imminent.

On the other hand, the technology of the new NVIDIA and upcoming AMD cards will apparently offer substantial benefits in the way of lower power consumption and less heat generation. Less powerful and expensive offerings by both manufacturers should offer improved video capabilities over current mainstream cards while also lowering power and heat costs.

IMO its probably worth waiting a few months for most of us to see the capabilities and costs of mid range cards incorporating this new tech.

__

And here I thought we at RPGWatch were not graphics whores :p

I'm still playing on a GT765M :D

I'm not a graphics whore, but I do want to try VR, for that I need to upgrade my graphics card, so might as well go for the GTX 1070 :)

Seems like the cards were distributed now for the reviewers. Saw posts about it from gamestar.de and Jayztwocents. Waiting for some hard numbers!

Just a little update/ clarification:
Apparently the "founder edition" is just a fancy word for "reference card".

So no extra special anything cards. :)

Just a little update/ clarification:
Apparently the "founder edition" is just a fancy word for "reference card".

So no extra special anything cards. :)

Wait a minute!
Are you saying that Nvidia is charging extra for reference cooler?
What is it made of? Cryptonite?

A good reaon to wait a little. Custom designs will be better and slightly cheaper.

Exactly that. ^^
In the acticle (which is bugged and impossible to open atm) it is mentioned that its metal and not as cheap as the plastic other manufacturers use. But I don't know if this was just the writer of the article or nvidia who stated that.
Thing however is, that its just there reference model:

http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/gra...el/geforce_gtx_1080_gtx_1070,987,3272232.html
"»Founders Edition« = das neue Referenzmodell mit metallbedecktem Kühler und Standardtakt"
Even without understanding German you should understand that one :D

Back
Top Bottom