Escapist does it again - 100% to Overwatch

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
For those who don't remember what "again" I'm talking about, it was Escapist who praised Dragon Age 2 as the best game ever.

Well, they're back on track, and this time, it's the new Blizzard's MMO:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...watch-Review-Blizzard#&gid=gallery_6249&pid=1

I just can't believe it. That's a fullpriced MMO that sells skin DLC for $20.
How can such thing come even close to 10/10?
While MMO, the game has no PvE just PvP.
To make things worse, lootbox scam aka gambling already seen in PVE's Star Wars Online is inside Overwatch. At least STO is free2play which means pay2win.

Are those people at Escapist blind or are they usually buying glass paying the price of diamonds?
Is there a gaming site not blind lately?

I've given plenty of 10/10 perfect scores to games over the years. It's a subjective thing.

I stopped trying to chase "objectivity", which to me, is a completely meaningless term when it comes to evaluating art.

We all have our own ways of looking at things. There are key elements you can get from any person's review of a game that will help you decide if the game is for you. I suggest reading various reviews on Metacritic or Steam if you're interested in that sort of thing.

No.
The subjective thing is the last 1 or 2 you're prepared to add to a score after you've added all pros and subtracted all cons.

But reviews currently, probably deliberately or paid to do so, HIDE important stuff from players. They show only what would please the publisher. I mean did you see in any review even a mention of those damned microtransaction gambling boxes scandal?
For all I know reviews are ment to be for customers, not for publishers.

Not every review or reviewer is the same, though.

If people are getting paid to say good things and hide the negative, not disclose that information and then publish a review, then yes, that's a major problem to me. It's the old Payola trick, where record companies paid radio DJs major money to play their artist's songs more. Or the new trick of game developers and publishers paying money to YouTube gamers to gush about their games. It's not a fair system to me when money gets involved.

Overwatch is already incredibly hyped right now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more perfect scores coming out for that game. Whether they are already paid for or not is anybody's guess.

Well I can agree with Joxer this time as I'm tired of overhyped games receiving 9/10, or 10/10 every year. Example of said games are as follows every Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Halo, Titan Fall, and The Division. It just never ends its just endless bulls***t.

Reviews are always like that from big sources. Ever hear about the old hip-hop magazine, The Source? Infamous for paid "5 mic" reviews. It happens in every industry and sucks all the way around.

I give 10/10s because I truly feel the game was so fun to play and I loved it. Not because it's a perfect game. But that's just me.

It's a disgrace that there's so much money involved in what used to "journalism". Not only in video game journalism but mainstream media, too.

It's just another example of how money fucks everything up.

For those who don't remember what "again" I'm talking about, it was Escapist who praised Dragon Age 2 as the best game ever.

Well, they're back on track, and this time, it's the new Blizzard's MMO:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...watch-Review-Blizzard#&gid=gallery_6249&pid=1

I just can't believe it. That's a fullpriced MMO that sells skin DLC for $20.
How can such thing come even close to 10/10?
While MMO, the game has no PvE just PvP.
To make things worse, lootbox scam aka gambling already seen in PVE's Star Wars Online is inside Overwatch. At least STO is free2play which means pay2win.

Are those people at Escapist blind or are they usually buying glass paying the price of diamonds?
Is there a gaming site not blind lately?

Its not even an MMO, its a "team fortress" game where you pay $20 for skins.

I learned a long time ago never to trust what shills have to say about products, books, or games. I'll ask friends before I purchase items, or family members, as I learned not to trust public reviewers years ago. It works well for me, and when I am disappointed, I have someone that, not only I can blame but I can lay hands on!

I feel hopelessly lost. Isn't it just a team FPS type thing? I don't know what Overwatch is. My head hurts. I need soup.

(I get that it's Blizzard's new team-based FPS game but I didn't know it was a massive MMO or anything... oh reading more I see it's not a real MMO it's ... team battles stuff.)

Is it any fun? :D

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
As was pointed out overwatch is not an MMO but a teamshooter.
Also 100% is not the same as 10/10. But the escapist doesn't even give 10/10 but a 5/5. And to me a 5/5 doesnt need to be a perfect game. Just a game without any major problems.

Regarding the payments:
No, there isn't purchases as "20$ for a skin". You can buy loot boxes, yes. And they have a chance of giving you a skin. They have no use besides of looking cool. And you can earn them in game without paying a dime. You can even focus buy whatever you want for ingame money without having the luck factor.

So what do you prefer? Get all maps and skins without additional charge and any having the option to buy skins? Or do you prefer if they did it like most others: Charge for the game, charge for additional heroes and charge for additional maps. Sell a separate season pass.

I played 4 or 5 rounds of the beta before I uninstalled it. Thought it was really boring and unbalanced and there's no way people would pay full price for a game that's worse than Dirty Bomb.

Meanwhile, Planetside2 recently added construction making it by far the most impressive FPS game around.

I wonder if its the super low system requirements that's made so many sales? That's classic blizzard. I mean, the steam survey would suggest that hardly anyone has a good GPU, anyway

As was pointed out overwatch is not an MMO but a teamshooter.
Also 100% is not the same as 10/10. But the escapist doesn't even give 10/10 but a 5/5. And to me a 5/5 doesnt need to be a perfect game. Just a game without any major problems.

I agree. I don't think a five star review is meant to indicate utter perfection (whatever that would mean) - it's simply to indicate an outstanding success.

This sort of game is of no interest to me, but for all I know, perhaps it is outstanding at what it does.

I don't think a five star review is meant to indicate utter perfection (whatever that would mean) - it's simply to indicate an outstanding success.
By that logic movie critics would shower Transformers with 5/5 or 10/10 or 100%.
Billions watched it. Must be worth the global praise then? And must be mustwatch!
Or, hey, isn't Candy Crush Saga 100% game? Billions are playing it, ain't that an outstanding success? Let's praise it so more billions install it on their phone. Quick, put 5 stars on it in iPhone reviews!

Again.
A professional review IMO is ment to be written for customers. Not for the publisher.
Customers need detailed info what are they getting into by buying a product. Hiding information from reviews, and I suspect it being deliberate, only marks those reviewers as - scammers.

By that logic movie critics would shower Transformers with 5/5 or 10/10 or 100%.
Billions watched it. Must be worth the global praise then? And must be mustwatch!
Or, hey, isn't Candy Crush Saga 100% game? Billions are playing it, ain't that an outstanding success? Let's praise it so more billions install it on their phone. Quick, put 5 stars on it in iPhone reviews!

No, I don't mean a financial success - I'm talking about a game that succeeds on its own terms. I'm not a connoisseur of online teamshooters, but if I were, and the one I was given to review impressed me as being one of the best examples of its kind, I might give it 5 stars.

Back
Top Bottom