Brexit - Likely to Impact Gaming Industry

What I don't quite understand about the whole issue are the promises of the pro-Brexit camp to limit immigration from within the EU, to stop financial contributions to the EU, to not accept any more rules and regulations from Brussels, BUT at the same time to keep the common market and the free trade. That's a logical fallacy, because the EU will never agree to that (otherwise they might just as well dissolve the EU right away). Even the often cited Norway and Switzerland have to accept those strings which are attached to the common market.

Maybe one of the Brexit sympathizers could explain to me how all that is supposed to work out without inflicting a severe negative impact on the economy.

Maybe one of the Brexit sympathizers could explain to me how all that is supposed to work out without inflicting a severe negative impact on the economy.

You could just ignore it, so that it makes great slogans which seemed to be a big thing in the campaign.

During the Campaign:
rsz_cikhd7axaaiklxc.jpg

After the Campaign:

Well this working class network support technician, employed via an agency, can tell you that he got a 50% pay increase when the UK adopted the Agency Workers Directive and is terrified about what would happen once we withdraw. For 12 years I toiled in an impoverished part of the UK while year on year people in other areas employed directly by the parent corporation got more pay and pay increases for the same work.
I would also never have been one to vote on the same side as the racists. I'm intelligent enough not to see the EU referendum in terms of black and white, but they aren't.
They've sold out our youth, who the majority of which wanted to remain and left Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar in a political storm that won't blow over any time soon.

They can't. But we are talking about populists. They are the only ones who can promise that you can have your cake and eat it.

Last edited:
I won't pretend to understand this issue fully. I'm in the U.S., and TheMadGamer is right that our news media are a joke. Instinctually, Brexit strikes me as a reactionary response to scary, uncertain times. We got Donald Trump, and you all got Brexit.

I'm not exactly one of those "One World" folks, but the EU always struck me as a positive step forward for humanity in general, even for me all the way across the pond. I'm sure the EU has plenty of examples of frustrating bureaucracy, but Brexit strikes me a step backwards on our species' meandering path toward wherever it's headed.

But what do I know? Maybe I should stick to the things I truly do know:

Get some like Turkey in the club, negociate a leave at the expense of those who stay.

I know that a club simply must have turkey. Mmm, turkey club….
lrg_1372107494.jpg

I'm not exactly one of those "One World" folks, but the EU always struck me as a positive step forward for humanity in general, even for me all the way across the pond. I'm sure the EU has plenty of examples of frustrating bureaucracy, but Brexit strikes me a step backwards on our species' meandering path toward wherever it's headed.

I totally agree here! Somehow it looks like we are heading back to the times where we were before Second World War. Wasn't EU built to prevent any more wars in Europe? Seems like those goals are long forgotten.
Also not being part of EU do Norway have less immigration, I think no!

What I don't quite understand about the whole issue are the promises of the pro-Brexit camp to limit immigration from within the EU, to stop financial contributions to the EU, to not accept any more rules and regulations from Brussels, BUT at the same time to keep the common market and the free trade. That's a logical fallacy, because the EU will never agree to that (otherwise they might just as well dissolve the EU right away). Even the often cited Norway and Switzerland have to accept those strings which are attached to the common market.

How does UK now trades with US and rest of the world? I would guess same deal will apply with EU too.

How does UK now trades with US and rest of the world? I would guess same deal will apply with EU too.
When trading with most of the world you have to deal with tariffs, customs, differences in standard, limited access to markets, and other difficulties. Even when trading with places such as the US, businesses have to deal with all those hurdles, and that's why the EU and the US try to negotiate TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership).

By leaving the EU the British will slap all those restrictions back on roughly 50% of their trade, unless they remain in the common market. Not to mention the loss of investments from other countries and the potential departure of certain companies.

The proportion of total exports to the EU was 48 per cent in April 2016. Over the past 18 months, this has ranged from 38 per cent to 48 per cent. The proportion of total imports from the EU was 47 per cent in April 2016. Over the same period, this has ranged between 47 per cent and 55 per cent.
Source.

When trading with most of the world you have to deal with tariffs, customs, differences in standard, limited access to markets, and other difficulties. Even when trading with places such as the US, businesses have to deal with all those hurdles, and that's why the EU and the US try to negotiate TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership).

By leaving the EU the British will slap all those restrictions back on roughly 50% of their trade, unless they remain in the common market. Not to mention the loss of investments from other countries and the potential departure of certain companies.

The proportion of total exports to the EU was 48 per cent in April 2016. Over the past 18 months, this has ranged from 38 per cent to 48 per cent. The proportion of total imports from the EU was 47 per cent in April 2016. Over the same period, this has ranged between 47 per cent and 55 per cent.
Source.

Yes I agree its annoying but it can be made to work and still have control over the borders etc. In fact EU exports more to UK than US so EU and UK can come up with their own TTIP etc.

No explanation required because the demand for an explanation stems from a logical fallacies.

Over the last couple of centuries, it was shown that logical fallacies do not matter. You can as well declare that people have inalienable rights like freedom and keep some of them as slaves.

Using logical fallacies has been a trademark of these days.

Another example from late: in order to prevent people from being killed, you must kill yourself. A logical fallacy used in wars over the last five years or so.

You could just ignore it, so that it makes great slogans which seemed to be a big thing in the campaign.

During the Campaign:
rsz_cikhd7axaaiklxc.jpg

This car looks nice. It gave work to a few people.

Yes I agree its annoying but it can be made to work and still have control over the borders etc. In fact EU exports more to UK than US so EU and UK can come up with their own TTIP etc.
The TTIP negotiations took years and aren't even concluded yet. And the EU and the US were talking about a free trade agreement for decades prior to actually starting to negotiate. The years it would take Britain to make a deal could be intensely painful for its economy.

Also, Britain with its 64 or so million people (assuming Scotland doesn't declare its independence) doesn't have nearly the bargaining power of a European bloc or the US, and when it comes to trade, there are no "good friends". Then it's survival of the fittest.

The TTIP negotiations took years and aren't even concluded yet. And the EU and the US were talking about a free trade agreement for decades prior to actually starting to negotiate. The years it would take Britain to make a deal could be intensely painful for its economy.

Also, Britain with its 64 or so million people (assuming Scotland doesn't declare its independence) doesn't have nearly the bargaining power of a European bloc or the US, and when it comes to trade, there are no "good friends". Then it's survival of the fittest.

I am not disagreeing with you there, UK has to pay a price for taking back control. The question is how big this price is going to be and I think that's still up in the air.

My point was that, UK does trade with other countries without a common market and it can do the same thing with EU too. Its not like common market or nothing...

There you go lostforever: "Five models for post-Brexit UK trade"
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639261

Which one will "Leave" voters prefer you think? Turkish? Canadian? Try to be Europe's Singapore or Hong Kong? Go for WTO rules?
Notice that, except for Norway and Switzerland, all other agreements do NOT include services (services contribute around 79% of UK's GDP).
So maybe you will just try to become a laissez faire offshore tax haven?

Last edited:
There you go lostforever: "Five models for post-Brexit UK trade"
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639261

Which one will "Leave" voters prefer you think? Turkish? Canadian? Try to be Europe's Singapore or Hong Kong? Go for WTO rules?
Notice that, except for Norway and Switzerland, all other agreements do NOT include services (services contribute around 79% of UK's GDP).
So maybe you will just try to become a laissez faire offshore tax haven?

I have no idea what "leave" voters would prefer as I voted to stay in!

Anyway UK is non of those countries so maybe we can come up with something different? who knows...

I have no idea what "leave" voters would prefer as I voted to stay in!
I guessed as much. I've asked simply because you are one of our "inside men" :)
Anyway UK is non of those countries so maybe we can come up with something different? who knows…
Nobody has come up with something different yet. But who knows? When Boris and Nigel put their heads together they might come up with a plan?

Nigel: Gee, Boris, what do you want to do tonight?
Boris: The same thing we do every night, Nigel - try to take over the world!

Last edited:
I don't see any change for the near future, but I'm a cynic living in a country that has had two referendums about the EU which did not change anything significant, and it won't either. In both cases the politicians were shocked, expresssed words about change that was needed, about having to listen to the people, and then gave it time. Just time.

I see the same happening in the UK ATM. Do nothing, just give it time. Time to calm down. Time to cool off: 'they (the people) got it off their chest, they can't be boiling with such anger forever, soon we'll be able to be back in business as usual. Time to think of a way to get our way'.

Plus I don't see anyone taking the responsibility to actually cut the ties with the EU.
A member of a political party - anyone of the establishment won't be able to ignore/withstand the enormous pressure of that same establishment (ties with banks, companies, industries, EU).

Besides who's willing to go in knowing upfront it'll kill his/her political career? Knowing s/he'll be blamed for all mistakes and negative consequences after the cut?
It does not surprise me Boris Johnson is all smooth talk and in no rush now. It does not surprise me Corbyn is having trouble.

Take back control? Right. Not if you have to depend on those who are already in control.

One year from now things will be different…

It seems I'm in good company about UK's future: an authorative columnist of the Financial Times does not believe Brexit will happen.
Although I do not agree with everything he's written.

I also believe that whatever the outcome it won't help winning the disappointed part of Europe over to the EU. So the cancer will still be there to spread.
I don't think the EU tanker will be able to change its course soon enough, hard enough, to placate EU citizens who are feeling ignored.
Besides, one of the underlying causes has something to do with the euro - the ECB is independent and it won't listen to politicians.

I don't see any change for the near future, but I'm a cynic living in a country that has had two referendums about the EU which did not change anything significant, and it won't either. In both cases the politicians were shocked, expresssed words about change that was needed, about having to listen to the people, and then gave it time. Just time.

I see the same happening in the UK ATM. Do nothing, just give it time. Time to calm down. Time to cool off: 'they (the people) got it off their chest, they can't be boiling with such anger forever, soon we'll be able to be back in business as usual. Time to think of a way to get our way'.

Plus I don't see anyone taking the responsibility to actually cut the ties with the EU.
A member of a political party - anyone of the establishment won't be able to ignore/withstand the enormous pressure of that same establishment (ties with banks, companies, industries, EU).

Besides who's willing to go in knowing upfront it'll kill his/her political career? Knowing s/he'll be blamed for all mistakes and negative consequences after the cut?
It does not surprise me Boris Johnson is all smooth talk and in no rush now. It does not surprise me Corbyn is having trouble.

Take back control? Right. Not if you have to depend on those who are already in control.

One year from now things will be different…

There is a huge difference this time. People really cared about this vote, and so many actions and effects have already happen, look at the pound, look at the stock market, look at UK banks already firing people. This does not behave like a paper tiger, it is serious. I don't think the UK would stay in the way it looks now.

Back
Top Bottom