Brexit - Likely to Impact Gaming Industry

There is a huge difference this time. People really cared about this vote, and so many actions and effects have already happen, look at the pound, look at the stock market, look at UK banks already firing people. This does not behave like a paper tiger, it is serious. I don't think the UK would stay in the way it looks now.

FTSE100 is back to pre vote levels now and pound is also gaining....

There is a huge difference this time. People really cared about this vote, and so many actions and effects have already happen, look at the pound, look at the stock market, look at UK banks already firing people. This does not behave like a paper tiger, it is serious. I don't think the UK would stay in the way it looks now.
First, nothing happened yet. Apart from some initial financial panicking, political chaos and open racism being trendy.

Second, not even a week has passed since the referendum. Things will settle down. Other things will be the headline news, but even if the headlines stay the same: people will lose interest, also because they lack the political opportunity to make a statement, a difference again, for quite some time to come now (elections or another referendum).

Third. It seems to me that the more (negative) effects, the more people want to see things stay the same. So quite the opposite of what you're saying. Warnings and forecasts are one, reality though…

And last. There have been several referendums in Europe. I mentioned two. The article in the FT mentiones a few. I would not say they were not serious. The Dutch, and the French btw, had one about the constitution of the EU for instance. Guess what the outcome was…
The French have never forgotten the way the outcome was treated, nor the Dutch. And within a year (or two) many Brexiteers will share those feelings, I think.

I'm not buying the racism argument. Too often it's used whenever somebody doesn't get their way and it's lost the effect it should have even when the accusation's true.

From everything I've read (which could all be worthless considering most sources I've read come from my derelict USA media) it seems the people in the UK who voted for the exit have substantive reasons for the way they feel.

All of it's debatable. But to just run around screaming racism and xenophobia... that's just the typical 'shut down your opponent without a real conversation' tactic. Still reading. Still learning.

I'm not buying the racism argument. Too often it's used whenever somebody doesn't get their way and it's lost the effect it should have even when the accusation's true.

From everything I've read (which could all be worthless considering most sources I've read come from my derelict USA media) it seems the people in the UK who voted for the exit have substantive reasons for the way they feel.

All of it's debatable. But to just run around screaming racism and xenophobia… that's just the typical 'shut down your opponent without a real conversation' tactic. Still reading. Still learning.
This is not about the racism argument, it's about the fact that since the referendum there has been apparently more (explicit) racism in the UK., there have been more reports. I'm sure lostforever can give you some links of newspapers reporting about it. The spike in racism was even mentioned in the political debate yesterday.

===========
Edit:
Here is for instance The Guardian reporting about it

Last edited:
This is not about the racism argument, it's about the fact that since the referendum there has been apparently more (explicit) racism in the UK., there have been more reports. I'm sure lostforever can give you some links of newspapers reporting about it. The spike in racism was even mentioned in the political debate yesterday.

===========
Edit:
Here is for instance The Guardian reporting about it

What Eye said. I don't have any news paper links but TV is full of reports of increased racist attacks etc.

Its still remain to be seen if this is permanent (i highly doubt) increase or not but the short term racism has definitely gone up. Some extreme far right elements have taken this as open seasons.

Some extreme far right elements have taken this as open seasons.

Exactly. And Cameron and Mayor of London (among others) promised a clamp down so things will quiet down. It's not like more Brist decided that it's fun to be a racist. Just those who always were racist decided that they were given open licence and become louder and bolder.

I agree, but I'm afraid the cat's out of the bag, the genie's out of the bottle. We have those same loonies, they are convinced Wilders supports them as they support Wilders. :(

I am not too worried about this yet. They will be under control soon.

You haven't been able to control your football supporters yet. ;)

They are under control in UK. However we recognises that they do need to blow off some steam once in while so we send them off to other countries to do just that!

Well, wish me luck. Assuming the process goes smoothly, I'll soon be an Irish citizen.

BTW, if anyone feels like kidnapping that grinning phallus Nigel Farage, and chaining him to a radiator until the negotiations are complete, that would be ideal.

I would hold off on making any rash decisions until this has settled out.

Don't worry, I'm not that crazy. I'm entitled to Irish citizenship by blood, so it was just a question of trawling through the paperwork, and I'll have UK and EU citizenship. Then I can take my time, and see just how silly the silliness gets before making a leap. I'm still royally pissed off, though.

This is what happens when people are not held accountable for what is said during political campaigns. This needs to stop everywhere. The liars need to be locked up.

Racism is a substantive reason.

Following the US American model, racism is now institutionalized. What keeps losing its effect is that racism can be de-institutionalized. As people keep showing their inability to achieve that, the dressing indeed keeps going away.

Once again, racism must be an excluded conclusion not because it can not be a valid conclusion but because it cant be an accepted conclusion.

Not buying a conclusion when you cant pay for it is the normal outcome.

Anytime people cant pay for a conclusion, they tend not to buy the conclusion. Simple. Denial and denegation are great values these days.

Don't worry, I'm not that crazy. I'm entitled to Irish citizenship by blood, so it was just a question of trawling through the paperwork, and I'll have UK and EU citizenship. Then I can take my time, and see just how silly the silliness gets before making a leap. I'm still royally pissed off, though.
Changing countries won't give you a better chance in winning the European football cup :)

Changing countries won't give you a better chance in winning the European football cup :)

Well, Ireland is (OK... *was*) at least participating contrary to some other country that shall not be named :biggrin: .

"Ooooohne Holland fahr'n wir zur EM"

Und ohne Holland fahrt ihr wieder zuruck :)

Und ohne Holland fahrt ihr wieder zuruck :)

Haha I would actually be happy if/when that happens :) . Finally no more drunk people (OK, less), no car parades, no insane honking but a return to peace, harmony and order...

Viva Italia! Forza azzuri! :celebrate::dance:

Back
Top Bottom