Nintendo Switch some news

Yes games are developed for handhelds (especially in Japan) because its less risk and cheap. The latest AAA titles for consoles are so costly that developers forced to i.e create more of remasters instead. This was actually a complaint about ps4-catalog.

Nintendo should sell the Switch without the dock as "gametablet" for 199€. That might make it a real seller. Might eat away 3ds sales though.
http://www.eggplante.com/2017/01/15/nintendo-could-release-switch-for-199-right-now/

I'm actually fine with it being $299. The original Shield tablet is $299 and that is a bargain (IMO) for the power of that tablet, and while the Switch is not 1080p or 8" like the Shield, it has the Nintendo licenses and will have much larger game dev support (outside of the obvious Android support that the Shield has, but "serious" Android gaming is still not quite there yet).

The key here is that you get a pretty nice portable console + a home console and also a cool controller that can be used in either mode. Also, the portable will use cartridges and have neat features like that. That is a pretty good value, IMO.

Essentially if they get a bunch of the portable developers + some of the console developers as well, they are set. The Shield which the design of the Switch is somewhat based on is/was ahead of its time, and it didn't have the Nintendo brand or exclusives. So if the Switch has essentially "the best of both worlds", being a lot of good portable-style games + typical Nintendo console games, it's going to be a hit, IMO. Smaller development teams could potentially create unique and smaller budget games while larger development teams can do the bigger games, and everything in between. Nowadays I appreciate the smaller RPGs a lot more than your typical AAA titles, so this would be great. I'm still working through NDS RPGs.

Oh, and if they just sold it as a gaming tablet, they would need Android support. If they went this route I would also recommend they offer an 8" version as well, perhaps 1080p like the Shield or even a 10" version. Since you'd have essentially all the Nintendo developed "tablet" games that they'd be making for it + Android support, you'd basically have the Nintendo Shield.

I'm actually fine with it being $299. The original Shield tablet is $299 and that is a bargain (IMO) for the power of that tablet, and while the Switch is not 1080p or 8" like the Shield, it has the Nintendo licenses and will have much larger game dev support (outside of the obvious Android support that the Shield has, but "serious" Android gaming is still not quite there yet).
Shield was more like 200e year ago before it was sold out. They could drop the price of Switch if they removed the dock with the cables.I was expecting 250€ for Switch but its 329€. I dont need the dock rightaway, I can buy it later.

Most of the gamers in the world are playing with phones, tablets and other handheld devices. Im sure that crowd would be more than willing to buy pure gaming tablet instead of paying 30% more to get a tv console also.

With wiiu Nintendo could not do it, they had to sell both the main unit and the pad. But with switch they can and should.

Gaming tablet dont need android any more than NES needed C64 operating system. For most tablet users netflix and browser fill most needs.

Last edited:
Shield was more like 200e year ago before it was sold out. They could drop the price of Switch if they removed the dock with the cables.I was expecting 250€ for Switch but its 329€. I dont need the dock rightaway, I can buy it later.

Most of the gamers in the world are playing with phones, tablets and other handheld devices. Im sure that crowd would be more than willing to buy pure gaming tablet instead of paying 30% more to get a tv console also.

With wiiu Nintendo could not do it, they had to sell both the main unit and the pad. But with switch they can and should.

The original Shield (aka the better version) was $299. It included a really nice stylus + built-in stylus port and a few other features I can't recall that were cut for the recent $199 version.

Nintendo is smart, because while many gamers do prefer phones and handhelds, they will still get console market support with the option to use it in that way. They can't lose by combining the 2 functions, really.

$299 is already very reasonable. When Xbox 360 came out I was up around $600 buying it new. You have to keep in mind that this is a hybrid console. Dropping the hybrid part is not a good idea, IMO, since that is what sets the device apart and adds functionality and options.

Best of both worlds.

The original Shield (aka the better version) was $299. It included a really nice stylus + built-in stylus port and a few other features I can't recall that were cut for the recent $199 version.
Original shield hardware was cutting edge, but Switch hardware is not (its old) so I dont see the need for cutting edge price also.
Nintendo is smart, because while many gamers do prefer phones and handhelds, they will still get console market support with the option to use it in that way. They can't lose by combining the 2 functions, really.
Its all about offering options and cheapest possible entry price. Tablets are sold without 100€ dock so why force that for gaming tablet.

Im not saying that 329€ is a bad deal for all, its just so for some. There is a margin of buyers Nintendo is going to loose with that price.

Last edited:
Original shield hardware was cutting edge, but Switch hardware is not (its old) so I dont see the need for cutting edge price also.

Its all about offering options and cheapest possible entry price. Tablets are sold without 100€ dock so why force that for gaming tablet.

Im not saying that 329€ is a bad deal for all, its just so for some. There is a margin of buyers Nintendo is going to loose with that price.

I respectfully disagree. Even though the device has portable function, it is not really a portable console nor a gaming tablet and you seem to be considering it one. It is a home console and will have large titles made for it like any home console. It just happens to have portable functionality as well. Also, the portable version will be 40% of the total capability of the system. When you dock the system it's computing power will rise 60%. So $299 is a decent price when you look at it that way.

From what I understand the Switch is also using Nvidia's latest tablet GPU. The Shield was cutting edge and is still the most powerful gaming tablet on the market, equivalent to an Xbox 360/PS3 in power. The Switch is using the newest chip which is even more powerful. So it actually will be cutting edge in that regard. That is also likely why Nvidia is not going to compete with the Switch since they'd rather give Nintendo the technology and make their money that way.

Its a tablet made for gaming. Hopefully many 3ds, vita and mobile developers will migrate to Switch. It could use a lower price.

Hopefully every phonegames developer will migrate from phones… Sadly those got spoiled with microtransactions scam so they won't. This scam got blessed by both Apple and Google allowing advertising something not free as free (stores), and it's there to stay till someone outlaws it already.

The thread is "news" so here's another:
http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/zel...t-you-can-expand-up-to-2tb-with-memory-cards/
As previously reported, according to Nintendo of Japan, you’ll need 13.4GB on your Switch to install the game – just slightly more than the 13GB needed for the Wii U.

That’s a negligible amount when compared to blockbusters on other consoles, which regularly come in around 40GB, but since the Switch only has 32GB of internal storage, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild alone will take up 40% of what’s available right out the box.
Cartridge is the solution to this? Bleh.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Even though the device has portable function, it is not really a portable console nor a gaming tablet and you seem to be considering it one. It is a home console and will have large titles made for it like any home console. It just happens to have portable functionality as well. Also, the portable version will be 40% of the total capability of the system. When you dock the system it's computing power will rise 60%. So $299 is a decent price when you look at it that way.

From what I understand the Switch is also using Nvidia's latest tablet GPU. The Shield was cutting edge and is still the most powerful gaming tablet on the market, equivalent to an Xbox 360/PS3 in power. The Switch is using the newest chip which is even more powerful. So it actually will be cutting edge in that regard. That is also likely why Nvidia is not going to compete with the Switch since they'd rather give Nintendo the technology and make their money that way.
Its ok to disagree. Switch is a tablet made for gaming. It is a tablet with tablet hardware. The main better controls for gaming. The device is even dubbed as successor/competitor for nvidia shield which was also a gaming tablet.Trying to make it something else is just going to confuse buyers. Switch dock does not change it, all tablets have similar features related to tv out and still they are just tablets.

Switch is not based on the latest pascal technology from Nvidia but the older and more cheaper one. Nvidia itself has used the same X1 chip in two generations of its tv console allready. Its good but not expensive or cutting edge.

Last edited:
It's not just a gaming tablet. You're forgetting that it's a home console, too. How many other handhelds or tablets do this sort of thing other than the Shield? It's not confusing anybody, it's the first (or second if you count the Shield) of its kind, i.e. a portable/home console hybrid.

It's not just a gaming tablet. You're forgetting that it's a home console, too. How many other handhelds or tablets do this sort of thing other than the Shield? It's not confusing anybody, it's the first (or second if you count the Shield) of its kind, i.e. a portable/home console hybrid.
Does ipad or phone turn into a home console if you plug it to tv with tvout cable? Adding a tvout does not turn tablet into console imho.

Consoles have much more than that like bigger power consumption, physical hard drives, etc. Tablets can never compete with them so they should not be called the same.

Same as why consoles should not be called pcs.

Does ipad or phone turn into a home console if you plug it to tv with tvout cable? Adding a tvout does not turn tablet into console imho.

Again, the console section of the game is not just an HDMI output. Integrated controller that can be used in both portable and home mode, 60% more computing power when docked (ie. more graphical capabilities when using it as a console vs. portable), etc.

Even if you take the Shield as an example, you have to buy the $60 Shield controller separate and if you want to use the Shield as a portable device with controller you have to buy a special clip or bracket to mount the tablet to play it that way. With the Switch you can easily just pop the controller in and out as needed.

And iPad and phones are not playing Nintendo exclusives or AAA games. The Switch is not going to be full of microtransaction phone games. There are some cool things on Android and Apple Store, no doubt, but the Nintendo is a "real" console designed for traditional games, not phone games.

Again, the console section of the game is not just an HDMI output. Integrated controller that can be used in both portable and home mode, 60% more computing power when docked (ie. more graphical capabilities when using it as a console vs. portable), etc.

Even if you take the Shield as an example, you have to buy the $60 Shield controller separate and if you want to use the Shield as a portable device with controller you have to buy a special clip or bracket to mount the tablet to play it that way. With the Switch you can easily just pop the controller in and out as needed.

And iPad and phones are not playing Nintendo exclusives or AAA games. The Switch is not going to be full of microtransaction phone games. There are some cool things on Android and Apple Store, no doubt, but the Nintendo is a "real" console designed for traditional games, not phone games.
Any tablet or phone can run faster with bigger power consumtion. Its nothing special. Switch dock is nothing more than glorified tv out. Just a hidden usb cable.

You could say its like "looks like console" when docked but at heart its nothing more than tablet with tablet hardware, tablet screen, tablet storage, tablet ports, etc.

Its as much console as console is pc when you ad keyboard and mouse. Wiiu was not tablet either even though it might look like one due to gamepad.

As for games I play PC games with shield tablet but still its just a tablet (with gamepad).

But you can call it gaming console if you like, I will still call it gaming tablet. :)

Any tablet or phone can run faster with bigger power consumtion. Its nothing special. Switch dock is nothing more than glorified tv out. Just a hidden usb cable.

You could say its like "looks like console" when docked but at heart its nothing more than tablet with tablet hardware, tablet screen, tablet storage, tablet ports, etc.

Everything but tablet games, huh?

You're simplifying it but it's an incorrect simplification, IMO. The Switch does a lot of cool things. It's well worth $299.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-switch-first-impressions/

I'd like to know on what tablet you're playing games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild on, or Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :) As much as I like my Shield those types of games simply don't exist native on tablet unless you're streaming them from PC.

Everything but tablet games, huh?

You're simplifying it but it's an incorrect simplification. The Switch does a lot of cool things. It's well worth $299.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-switch-first-impressions/

I'd like to know on what tablet you're playing games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild on, or Xenoblade Chronicles 2. :) As much as I like my Shield those types of games simply don't exist native on tablet unless you're streaming them from PC.
I can play pc and tablet games with Nvidia shield but still its just a tablet. But anyways its ok to disagree. For you its a console and for me a tablet.

I think Nintendo is on the right track by going straight with memory cards. You can get really big ones relatively cheap now. I paid around 60-80€ for Vita/3DS/Shield 64GB cards. Wiiu 2Tb hard drive cost 100€. With 120€ I can have 256Gb SDXD card for Switch. For 200€ I can buy 512Gb thats plenty of storage for games meant for tablet. Especially if they are packaged good.

Except they dont.
Phones constantly scale down to save battery. They hardly ever run on full capacity. All have power saving features that almost always are turned on. Also they usually run burning hot when run at full capacity, thats why I never do it with my S5 or Shield, it kills the battery and my fingers.

Saying Switch is somethign special because it can run faster by having limitless amount of power instead of battery is special not. Any mobile device can do that because then they can turn off all power saving features.

The Zelda game is 13gb as well. The largest game I think I've downloaded on my Shield is 2gb (Baldur's Gate: EE). My 128gb card is mostly full of emulated games. Tablet games are not 13gb in size.

Nintendo is on the right track with everything about this, IMO. Add a 128gb/256gb card and you'll be good.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. A Shield tablet (which again, I own) is a streaming device for PC games. It has access to Android which doesn't have games like the ones the Switch will have (see: AAA titles, large games, etc.). As much as I love Android it still is in its infancy in the "serious gaming" arena. So yes, the Shield can play PC games as a streaming device, plus a few cool games in the Geforce Now store (Risen 3, Witcher 3 and a few others).

The Switch is going to have a bunch of good to great games. "Real" games. Not microtransaction phone games or simplistic tablet games. There is a difference here.

Phones constantly scale down to save battery. They hardly ever run on full capacity. All have power saving features that almost always are turned on. Also they usually run burning hot when run at full capacity, thats why I never do it with my S5 or Shield, it kills the battery and my fingers.
Which does not happen with Switch.
Saying Switch is somethign special because it can run faster by having limitless amount of power instead of battery is special not. Any mobile device can do that because then they can turn off all power saving features.
[/quote]
No. Tablets are similar to PC in their power management.

Switch runs two versions of games: one for unplugged, the other when plugged.
Tablets are portable devices.

Think of this, who would buy Switch for 329€ if it would be a console truly? It would cost more than xbox one S with one game and two contollers (250€) while having inferioir cpu, gpu, inferioir memory, inferioir storage, less games, etc everything. Maybe some nintendo fans but othervice not.

The reason why Switch might sell for others than just fans is because its also a tablet. And in that regard price like 329€ is justifieable. It even has excellent hardware when compared to other tables.

Shield is a top class as a tablet but weak as a console. Thats why its more of tablet than console imho. Calling it console just makes it look weak.

Last edited:
They're calling it a console/handheld hybrid. That means it's part home console, part handheld console. I don't see what is hard to understand about this.

Shield is a great tablet but only basically has Android game support and is 90% focused as a tablet (10% console). The Switch has everything that a typical console has, from major developers to all engines supported, etc. and has equal parts console and handheld. Native game development specifically for the console, etc. So while the specs of the tablet part are better on Shield, it doesn't have all the perks of the Switch, either.

Think of it is a $150 handheld + $150 home console. You're getting both in the same package with a lot of neat and unique features. No one else right now has made anything like this.

Edit - And how do you know the Switch will have less games than Xbox One? If I were predicting I'd say it's going to have way more since it's likely less expensive to develop for. The rest of the technical specs don't mean anything as the Wii was hugely successful, so was the N64, etc. etc., which weren't cutting edge tech at the time. Nintendo works because they make fun games and don't rely on sheer technical power to make great games.

Personally, for that price I would prefer buying a PS4 Slim with 500gb of memory and a bundled game…and going so I would save $50 on the Switch price tag at the minimum (in Canada and minimum is because I haven't seen the Switch pre-order mention a game so that would mean another $79 on top of that $50 saved).

Going by how Nintendo announced that the Switch battery life was between 2.5 to 6 hours, I personally would use it like a console and not an handled (I had a similar experience with a gaming laptop, I ended up keeping it plugged all the time and used it has a desktop instead). The only advantage of the Switch is the Nintendo exclusives games, but I've been able to live without those since the Gamecube era so…

So no buy for me.

Back
Top Bottom