Nintendo Switch some news

So it looks like the touch screen works. You were right Fluent.

None of that will matter without a decent Library. Hopefully the Switch will get much better support than the Wii U had.

I made a new Shield video showing it in Console Mode. Been using it a lot in that mode recently and it's really good. The Switch will be great but without Android support I probably won't use it like the Shield. Will emulators and stuff like that come out on the Switch? Probably not without Android support.

None of that will matter without a decent Library. Hopefully the Switch will get much better support than the Wii U had.

It looks like a better library to me than the Wii U and the games I want seemed to be locked as good games.

Dragon Quest XI, maybe DQX if it gets released here, Fire Emblem Switch, Skyrim(maybe i will complete it this time), Zelda, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2(which is promised to be like XC1 and be story driven). For me at least that is very good, I didnt like one single game on Wii U except the upcoming Zelda.

I made a new Shield video showing it in Console Mode. Been using it a lot in that mode recently and it's really good. The Switch will be great but without Android support I probably won't use it like the Shield. Will emulators and stuff like that come out on the Switch? Probably not without Android support.

Very unlikely, they are keeping it closed it seems, to avoid hacking etc. Might get some of those Steam games ported but thats about it. I would like to see if they can get path of exile on there since it is coming to the Xbox One.

Total speculation but there might also be a deal between them that lets Nvidia have Android support for the Shield 2.

Total speculation but there might also be a deal between them that lets Nvidia have Android support for the Shield 2.

I haven't been following this but why would Nintendo have any say in the shield 2. The switch is fully nintendos and nvidia just supplied them an SOC right??

I haven't been following this but why would Nintendo have any say in the shield 2. The switch is fully nintendos and nvidia just supplied them an SOC right??

The Switch uses Nvidia's latest greatest mobile GPU, which likely would have been used in the Shield 2. Nvidia chose not to make the Shield 2 right now, which presumably is because they do not want to directly compete with the Switch as the new console/tablet hybrid.

So perhaps there is mutual agreement that it's in the best interests for both parties to do it this way. Nvidia can still develop the Shield 2 down the line and have the Android market, while Nintendo will have the Switch that doesn't support Android. Therefore both companies have their unique niche rather than overlapping.

It makes sense in my crazy brain. :p

The Switch uses Nvidia's latest greatest mobile GPU, which likely would have been used in the Shield 2. Nvidia chose not to make the Shield 2 right now, which presumably is because they do not want to directly compete with the Switch as the new console/tablet hybrid.

So perhaps there is mutual agreement that it's in the best interests for both parties to do it this way. Nvidia can still develop the Shield 2 down the line and have the Android market, while Nintendo will have the Switch that doesn't support Android. Therefore both companies have their unique niche rather than overlapping.

It makes sense in my crazy brain. :p

I see, that would greatly disappoint me as I love my shield pro. I would much rather see nvidia continue on their own than have a closed Nintendo ecosystem switch.

Not sure if you understood me correctly, saki. I think Nvidia will continue with the Shield 2. Nvidia will cover the Android support, Gamestream, Geforce NOW, etc., with their Shield series. The Switch will continue as well, but I'm suggesting that Nintendo is holding out on supporting Android because that is Nvidia's thing. So likely the Switch will focus more on Nintendo's brand, Virtual Store for Nintendo games, etc..

And for the record I am greatly looking forward to the Shield 2 even more than the Switch, since it does more of what I'm into (emulation, game streaming, etc..)

Not sure if you understood me correctly, saki. I think Nvidia will continue with the Shield 2. Nvidia will cover the Android support, Gamestream, Geforce NOW, etc., with their Shield series. The Switch will continue as well, but I'm suggesting that Nintendo is holding out on supporting Android because that is Nvidia's thing. So likely the Switch will focus more on Nintendo's brand, Virtual Store for Nintendo games, etc..

And for the record I am greatly looking forward to the Shield 2 even more than the Switch, since it does more of what I'm into (emulation, game streaming, etc..)

Yep, totally misunderstood.:D

Yeah, like I said I love my shield pro. Streaming from my pc to upstairs is great. I have a steam link but it won't do 4K like the shield will. Also shield seems to support my PS4 controller better as well.

Sounds great, saki. Interesting that the Steam Link doesn't do 4K. I think the Shield overall is really flexible. Even gamestream on the tablet does 1080p60 quite easily. Haven't tried 4K as my second TV is just 1080p.

I really want to get a Dualshock 4 and the tablet clip for it. Do you know of any way to adjust analog stick sensitivity with a bluetooth controller on the Shield?

Yeah i dont thing the lack of Android support was part of any deal. Rather I think it was a deliberate choice by Nintendo to keep their system secure.

In any case, the Shield 2 will be dope. My #1 hope is that it has enough computing power to run PS2 emulation well. Maybe Windows emulation, too, since Exagear is working on that now.

I really want to get a Dualshock 4 and the tablet clip for it. Do you know of any way to adjust analog stick sensitivity with a bluetooth controller on the Shield?

Sorry, no. I have the shield pro console so I just do it wired.

Possible benchmarks of the Nintendo Switch dev kit:

375 GFLOPS when in handheld mode single precision
875 GFLOPS when in docked mode single precision

Should put it on par with the Xbox One when docked.

Eurogamer confirms that it is an X1 chip inside the switch. My previous post is wrong.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-boosts-handheld-switch-clocks-by-25-per-cent

– Digital Foundry says Switch’s “build quality and design is excellent”
– 4310mAh, 16Whr battery takes up a good portion of the internal space
– Apparently “third party replacements by the end-user shouldn’t be too difficult”
– Switch is held together by screws
– Detachable microSD card reader
– This seems to sit on top of the heat-shield when the unit is first opened
– 32GB of eMMC NAND storage also seems to occupy its own mini-daughterboard, as opposed to being soldered directly onto the mainboard
– This offers Nintendo the chance to more easily produce premium SKUs with more generous storage capacity, while retaining the same mainboard
– Heat pipe siphons heat away from the Nvidia Tegra processor
– Active cooling is available to stop the processor overheating, ensuring consistent performance
– Seems to be a more lightly modified X1, still on the 20nm process
– Nintendo has added to the available performance modes available to developers in a recent update
– This bumps the mobile GPU power
– A new ‘NX add-on’ note introduces an expanded table of operating modes

Available CPU SpeedsAvailable GPU SpeedsAvailable Memory Controller Speeds
Undocked1020MHz307.2MHz/384MHz1331.2MHz
Docked1020MHz307.2MHz/384MHz/768MHz1331.2MHz/1600MHz
– Developers can opt for a 384MHz GPU clock – a straight 25 per cent uplift in compute power compared to the default 307.2MHz option
– Both frequencies are available to developers in what it calls ‘normal mode’ operation
– Users can’t choose between them
– Adjustments have been made to available memory bandwidth
– 1600MHz option is now only available in ‘boost mode’ (when Switch is docked)
– 1600MHz support in mobile mode is deprecated
– Devs can opt to run handheld modes while in the dock too
– Documentation has no new modes for docked performance
– Not all games will use the 384MHz GPU mobile mode
– 307.2MHz remains the default option
– The expanded table above still shows memory frequencies in line with Tegra X1’s capabilities and a look at the Chinese Switch teardown shows two Samsung LPDDR4 modules in parallel, in exactly the same configuration used in Shield Android TV
– The only difference seems to come from the capacity of the RAM chips
– Shield uses two 1.5GB modules
– Switch ups that to a 2x 2GB configuration for 4GB of total system memory
– Configuration suggests a 64-bit memory bus
– Switch has a processor that looks like a Tegra X1, with specs from Nintendo in line with X1, and power consumption that fits the characteristics of the chip’s 20nm fabrication process
– Digital Foundry says Switch is “by far and away the most powerful handheld console ever made, backed by a dedicated API designed to extract maximum performance from the hardware”
– Gulf in performance between mobile and docked configurations is considerable

Back
Top Bottom