Lords of Shu...Xulima!

I played a barbarian for my second playthrough on the hardest setting, it's an odd class. He has no activated abilities at all, so he's just using his basic attack over and over. But he has two unique abilities. One is the crit% raising one, but it's expensive, I think each level is 3 points and only gives you 1% crit. Adds up if you get 30 ranks of it, but raising it every level is probably not realistic. The other more dramatic one is an ability that gives you resistance and eventually immunity to stuns. That's pretty huge in some fights.

I got to try the arcane soldier too, who was fine, but still felt weaker then the pure fighter/soldier class. I'm not sure that fire strike was worth all the points I invested in it, I usually just used bleeding strike instead, and other than that ability he was just a somewhat inferior warrior. But he was still a solid frontliner even if he wasn't optimal.

Dang. That does sound useful. Nobody in my party really Crits very often, but when it happens it is sweet. I especially love seeing all that bonus damage rack up like you just hit big on the slot machine. :D Although this happens on non-Crits, too.

I love my Arcane Warrior. I can't reveal my build yet since I'm not caught up with uploads yet, but she is a beast! I'll talk more about her later. :)

I could use a Barbarian. So far I'm using Gaulen as Tank Extraordinaire. My front line doesn't hit hard but we make up some ground in other ways...

Ep 14. More of Nabros Forest, specifically some new parts we haven't seen yet, as well as a bunch of other stuff including our first encounter with...wait for it......wait for it.........wasps! Yes, Satan's little helpers themselves. :)

Apologies for moving slow in these early episodes. It took me quite awhile to get a comfortable feel for the game as this is again a "Blind" LP. These early episodes reflect that bigly. :p

Hope you enjoy! :)

Oh snap!!! My earlier Lords of Xulima LP videos are *finally* showing in 2160p60 on YouTube! Yippee!!! :D

So, anyone with a 4K monitor and an internet connection capable of streaming 4K video, check 'em out! Even though the game isn't a graphical marvel of technology, it is rather detailed and looks sharp in 4K. :)

Yo. Episode 15 is up. We are making good progress being the Hardcore Ironmen (and women) that we are. We fight some Cursed Hounds, explore some unseen areas of Nabros Forest and finally get pretty close to storming Castle Nengorth. It won't be long now before we separate Prince Nengorth from his head and restore peace to the sleepy vales that he once terrorized :)

Enjoy!

Episode 16 is live. This is a good episode if you're into checking out the early exploration of the first castle in the game, Castle Nengorth. There are deadly traps, roaming bands of soldiers and some interesting surprises here and there (spider room?!). Fun stuff. :)

Side note - I recorded so many episodes of this LP so far it's ridiculous. 2017 will be the Year of Xulima in the General RPG section! :D

YO! Episode 17 is up. And it's a doozy! We continue exploring Castle Nengorth and have an "exclusive meeting" with the "castle proprietor" if you know what I mean. :) We also explore a new type of "dungeon" that we haven't seen yet in the LP, so this episode is packed full of goodness!

Enjoy! :)

Forgot to update the thread. Episodes 18 and 19 are up.

In this episode we cleanse a temple, fight a deadly Herald, throw something into a smoldering well with human souls leaking out of it, fight a tough Cursed Hounds encounter and start to explore Hadiros, the area west of Sorrentia. All in one episode!

In this episode we explore more of Hadiros, take on the Road Ogre and kill some random combatants in the Arena. Good times!

Interesting game and interesting let's play, I'm on episode 3 right now. It seems simple in the beginning but on hardcore difficulty, it turns out to be quite challenging. I like the UI, it seems like it could be played on PC, consoles, and touchscreen without major problems. Have you tried playing it on a tablet? I know Nvidia Shield has some kind of stream-from-your-PC feature, not sure about details. Or you could use some other app like Splashtop. I think any lag as a result of streaming would be inconsequential since this is a turn-based game.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering trying LoX after I'm done with Baldur's Gate.

Edit: I forgot to ask, has anyone played it on the easiest difficulty? I'd like to play something that's relatively easy yet has enough story and lore to last some time.

Last edited:
Interesting game and interesting let's play, I'm on episode 3 right now. It seems simple in the beginning but on hardcore difficulty, it turns out to be quite challenging. I like the UI, it seems like it could be played on PC, consoles, and touchscreen without major problems. Have you tried playing it on a tablet? I know Nvidia Shield has some kind of stream-from-your-PC feature, not sure about details. Or you could use some other app like Splashtop. I think any lag as a result of streaming would be inconsequential since this is a turn-based game.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering trying LoX after I'm done with Baldur's Gate.

Edit: I forgot to ask, has anyone played it on the easiest difficulty? I'd like to play something that's relatively easy yet has enough story and lore to last some time.

Haven't tried streaming it to my tablet yet, but it might play well if you tinker with the Nvidia gamepad mapping stuff. I might give that a try today and report back later.

I would skip this if you're looking for story. While it has really cool lore, it's not explored all that much compared to games like BG. I would suggest maybe jumping into a run of Pillars of Eternity if you're looking for something with lore and story that is similar to BG and still has interesting mechanics. Just my 2 cents.

And thanks for checking out the LP! :)

Ep 20, exploring Sorrentia (north of Velegarn). Watch as rock puzzles daze and confuse your humble narrator/Let's Player! :p

And in this video I take a peek at Celerity's "extra-hardcore" mod, Deepest Dark.

Enjoy! :)

I just finished this game today. I jumped right in on Ironman having read nothing but the manual. Just a truly terrific game. I love that the random monsters have a limit so that you can't grind infinitely and you get bonus XP. I don't love grinding normally, but this didn't bother me much. I can't tell how many hours it took me because I played through GOG - GOG galaxy says 128 hours but I think that's probably low. My final score was 21998, which it references as 99 out of 100. Finally, I don't care much about the story in games and yet this one was quite good in my opinion... Very glad to see they are making a sequel!

TL;DR: If you like turnbased RPGs, you really need to get this one.

I just finished this game today. I jumped right in on Ironman having read nothing but the manual. Just a truly terrific game. I love that the random monsters have a limit so that you can't grind infinitely and you get bonus XP. I don't love grinding normally, but this didn't bother me much. I can't tell how many hours it took me because I played through GOG - GOG galaxy says 128 hours but I think that's probably low. My final score was 21998, which it references as 99 out of 100. Finally, I don't care much about the story in games and yet this one was quite good in my opinion… Very glad to see they are making a sequel!

TL;DR: If you like turnbased RPGs, you really need to get this one.

Awesome! Did you play on Hardcore as well?

I agree that it's terrific. They really aren't a lot of modern RPGs like this one. I'm looking forward to finishing the first one and am very glad they are making a sequel. :)

So, since I'm 20 episodes in I thought I'd share some thoughts up until this point in the game since I feel it has been opening up more.

The Arcane Soldier is a beast. As you can see, I am now focusing on her Frost Strike more and it is very effective at freezing enemies in their tracks. Meanwhile, I'm also focusing on Xafira, the Herald of Talaet, for my Divine Summoner. Xafira is a bow user that has an innate freezing ability as well (her bow strikes are ice-based). Between these 2 characters I am able to better manipulate the battles and control the turn-order more by freezing enemies who are about to attack and further drop them down the turn order. I also use my Mage to occasionally hit with a Shocking Touch when necessary for a stun, but he focuses basically on either fire (Sparks spell) or physical damage (Stone Arrow spell).

What else? The Arcane Soldier also is fairly strong in melee for us. Gaulen is sort of a lackluster attack character thus far but handy on the support end as his turn is usually the best time to use a supplemental item or scroll. My Thief is mastering shurikens which are also very powerful. They have a great attack thus far and also cause considerable bleed damage. My Cleric has been a pleasant surprise (which seems to be a thing in RPGs where I use Clerics! My Cleric in Elminage Gothic surprises me time and time again...) in that she can hit for solid damage as well as a healthy stun. All in all this gives me quite a few options for manipulating turn order and making up for what we lack in raw damage output with status-altering effects.

In terms of non-combat skills, Gaulen is very interesting. I am giving him Mercantilism as the economy has been one of toughest foes thus far. I also have given him quite a few points in both Camouflage and Knowledge of Herbs. Herbs for the obvious reason of collecting more, but Camouflage is also very useful to help manage random encounters. I am going to keep giving him points in Energy so he can Camouflage many times without having to rest or use a potion, which is also a good luxury to have. Next, I have started focusing him on Knowledge of Terrains as well. Any movement bonus to help reduce food cost is very important right now and this goes hand in hand with Mercantilism to help save gold in the long run. More points in this skill will allow you to have a few more gold pieces for other essentials.

My Thief is mostly Perception, Trap Disarming and Lockpicking. Nothing too crazy there. I always try to get her at least a point of each in each level up as she is the best at spotting traps. A slightly underrated side effect of Perception is also the occasional random finds. She seems to find quite a few pouches full of gold and those are always most welcome. :) In combat terms I also focus on her Evasion and Speed a bit as I hope to make her a 4th front-line character who can make up for her lack of raw Defense with a good Evasion.

Any questions for me regarding this stuff? I have played further but I really only want to talk about what I've done up to this, Episode 20, so I won't go into details about later in the game. But you might be able to see a definite strategy developing at this point. :)

Awesome! Did you play on Hardcore as well?

I agree that it's terrific. They really aren't a lot of modern RPGs like this one. I'm looking forward to finishing the first one and am very glad they are making a sequel. :)

Yes I did indeed. My party was Barbarian, Rogue, Paladin in front row, with Gaulen as archer, Wizard and Cleric in the back row. As a result I didn't get to try any summoning strategies, but they actually might have interfered with some late game strategies I employed...

One thing I didn't mention before - the game is rock solid in terms of no crashes whatsoever. Seems like a rarity these days. It of course has to be rock solid in order to implement the ironman mode. Good luck on the rest of your playthrough!

Yes I did indeed. My party was Barbarian, Rogue, Paladin in front row, with Gaulen as archer, Wizard and Cleric in the back row. As a result I didn't get to try any summoning strategies, but they actually might have interfered with some late game strategies I employed…

One thing I didn't mention before - the game is rock solid in terms of no crashes whatsoever. Seems like a rarity these days. It of course has to be rock solid in order to implement the ironman mode. Good luck on the rest of your playthrough!

Thanks! And yeah, it is very solid in that regard. Haven't had a single issue that I can think of. Good stuff! :)

Yes I did indeed. My party was Barbarian, Rogue, Paladin in front row, with Gaulen as archer, Wizard and Cleric in the back row. As a result I didn't get to try any summoning strategies, but they actually might have interfered with some late game strategies I employed…

Sounds *very* similar to my Deepest Dark party, minus the Wizard (I went with a Bard since I use a Wizard in my Hardcore Ironman LP). Very cool. Gaulen as an archer seemed like a clever move to me as well, especially if the Thief is good with Daggers and has good Evasion. Good stuff! :)

My main issue with the arcane soldier was just that I played a previous game with a regular soldier, and the regular soldier could do everything the arcane soldier could, and could do it better. It wasn't that the arcane soldier wasn't still a powerful and effective class, he just didn't seem to get much to make up for what he lost compared to the soldier.

But....I was using flame strike instead of frost strike. It's possible that my opinion would have been different if I had been using frost strike. The problem with flame strike was that it required a huge skill point investment and that most of the time bleeding strike was much better. The only time I was happy to have flaming strike was against plants, or sometimes against undead. But it was so expensive in power points that you couldn't use it too often even when it was good.

My main issue with the arcane soldier was just that I played a previous game with a regular soldier, and the regular soldier could do everything the arcane soldier could, and could do it better. It wasn't that the arcane soldier wasn't still a powerful and effective class, he just didn't seem to get much to make up for what he lost compared to the soldier.

But….I was using flame strike instead of frost strike. It's possible that my opinion would have been different if I had been using frost strike. The problem with flame strike was that it required a huge skill point investment and that most of the time bleeding strike was much better. The only time I was happy to have flaming strike was against plants, or sometimes against undead. But it was so expensive in power points that you couldn't use it too often even when it was good.

I believe Flamestrike is balanced that way because at higher levels it can really rack up the Burning damage over time, so against Vegetal enemies or other enemies that are susceptible to Burning, it can be quite effective.

Frost Strike is really good for us. It is one of the most effective attacks we have. While it doesn't do a ton of raw damage, the Freeze status effect is priceless when an enemy is able to be frozen! Stay tuned for future episodes that showcase this much more. :)

The Bloody Strike is interesting, too, but I'll talk more about this in future posts when my Let's Play reaches that level. I would say it's worth a peek, for sure. :)

Soldier seems fine as well. However, they can't do quite the amount of things an AS can do, as they sacrifice a lot of versatility for potential melee damage. The AS has the elemental attacks and magic usage as well, but the Soldier does have access to the same status-ailment melee attacks, which is nice. While it is more expensive to train spells for an AS than it is for a Wizard, having another party member that can cast spells is a very nice thing to have. If you want maximum versatility, have extra gold to spend on training and give her the skill point herbs, it can be very nice, indeed. :)

I have much more to say about the Arcane Soldier and other aspects of the classes but my LP has not caught up to my actual game-time yet. Let's just say that when the AS starts equipping some devastating weapons and has some of her elemental attacks further developed, it gets very interesting. :)

Also, for the Deepest Dark run, I use a Barbarian/Paladin/Thief front line. I was going to go with a Soldier but I used the random character generator and it came up a Paladin, which sounded interesting so I went with it. Speaking of which, the random character generator is pretty freaking cool. It obviously randomizes the characters but it also has a sort of "balancing" factor built into it, in that it tries to mix up the amount of melee and magic users in a "balanced" way. Play with it a bit and you'll see what I mean. It also adds the factor of having to adapt to somewhat randomized starting conditions and possibly exploring different synergies and builds that you might have not created yourself. Pretty neat. :)

Back
Top Bottom