What games are you playing now?

Dear god, the amount of cringe in this one. Everyone…from artists to writers must have been stoned during the development.
And the typical japanese "storytelling", leave most of critical narrative points out, and then drop it all at the same time in a few brief dialogues. And there's this thing whatever it is, obliterating everything in the world, but it's just as important to u win some kind of weeboo basketball game.
But for some reason, I'm enjoying it? What kind of nonsense awaits around the corner?
Maybe that's why people love Final Fantasy.

How's that any different from any other RPG? Game starts with some big thing happening and then you just go and run around the map to find some hidden caves with treasure.
If I remember correctly, you only really have to play one game of blitzball (or whatever the name is) and ignore the whole thing, you don't even have to win it I don't think.

That first blitzball game is easy and IIRC even if you lose you'll progress the story.
Unlike damned Mafia or Mafia 2 where you can't move forward unless you win the stupid formula race, because, hey, mobs were formula pros historically.

I'm closing in on my 2000th hour of Skyrim. This combines 300-ish hours in the GFWL version (Vanilla!), 1250 hours of Skyrim on Steam, and another 200 hours on SSE. The rest is things like Enderal, which I played for around 300 hours IIRC. I've donated over $500 to various mod authors and the Nexus site whose work I've enjoyed over the last 5+ years. I've probably bought 10-15 copies of this game for friends/family too. This is my 3rd pc in a row to have Skyrim installed on it.

Thanks Bethesda!

How's that any different from any other RPG? Game starts with some big thing happening and then you just go and run around the map to find some hidden caves with treasure.

I'm assuming you meant "JRPG" right? Because I know you're not actually saying that every RPG is like Final Fantasy. ;)

I've been playing Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm running out of steam with it. On the positive side, the graphics are good and the maps are big with plenty to find. I like that most of the convos you get into whilst wandering around don't automatically take you into a cinematic view as they did in previous installments. And some of the characters seem engaging enough - I just recruited Iron Bull, who looked like he might be a laugh. But I don't like the combat much. I just seem to hold down the mouse button, stuff explodes, and then I watch the e nemy health bars slowly deplete. I don't have the urge to increase the difficulty above normal, because there's so much combat and it takes so much time - I imagine increasing the difficulty just prolongs this? Also, some of the quests are interesting but too much fluff. Anyway, I'm twenty hours in, I guess I've enjoyed it to some extent, but I think I'm probably going to put it down and move onto something else. Maybe I'll come back to it after a break.

I'm assuming you meant "JRPG" right? Because I know you're not actually saying that every RPG is like Final Fantasy. ;)

No, I mean RPGs, like Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallouts, etc. They present some big thing that you have to do, but then you can ignore it forever and just go around smelling flowers.

If I remember correctly, you only really have to play one game of blitzball (or whatever the name is) and ignore the whole thing, you don't even have to win it I don't think.

Blitzball can actually be fun and somewhat challenging if you get into it. I remember as a kid thinking it was pretty cool, since pretty much all sports games are 100% real-time, and Blitzball is a sort of RTwP sports game. You can recruit players to your team in FFX, some of them are "rare and powerful", or somewhat hidden, etc.. There was a league where you played different teams, including the top team which was stacked with the best rated players in the game. I think you could develop your Blitzball characters in different ways, although I don't remember specifics (or if it was just Tidus that could be customized). It was cool. I do remember it being a bit challenging here and there but you could also get really good at it. I don't remember having that much trouble with the best team when I played them as I had a pretty dope team by then of recruits and what not. I won the Blitzball championship in dominating fashion.

Good times. :cool:

Playing Fallout: New Vegas at the moment. Never played it before, so I figured it was about time :)

Just don't forget to add norespawn mod (can't remember if it exists for that one or impossible to get rid of trashmobs weren't as annoying there as in other Gamebryo games).

No, I mean RPGs, like Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallouts, etc. They present some big thing that you have to do, but then you can ignore it forever and just go around smelling flowers.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure those don't have the Japanese style of storytelling that he referenced.

My spokesman JDR-what's-his-number speaks true. It's weird here in how it makes a big deal of it. But then, so is everything else about it.
Feels odd how many cutscenes they've put into it, walk, cutscene, walk cutscene, walk, fight, and so on.
Especially since most simply involve basic dialogue and the game would be better off, if it was done through gameplay.

I started a new game of Might and Magic: World of Xeen. This time, I did something slightly different and asked a friend, who is not a gamer at all and had no clue what I was rambling about, which classes to pick.

So far, it's the second-hardest run I've ever had, second only to the two-man party I did one time.

I started a new game of Might and Magic: World of Xeen. This time, I did something slightly different and asked a friend, who is not a gamer at all and had no clue what I was rambling about, which classes to pick.

So far, it's the second-hardest run I've ever had, second only to the two-man party I did one time.

Very cool. :)

I mentioned this in my Lords of Xulima thread, but that game has a pretty neat random character generator function. The character creation is really very simple in Xulima, so the few things that are randomized, such as the class, the "patron Lord" (or whatever that is called, it gives different bonuses based which of the 9 Lords is chosen), etc., lead to some interesting elements. It sort of forces you in a way to adapt to the starting characteristics of your party, perhaps giving you some new characters to play with that you might have not made otherwise. Pretty neat.

Your technique sounds interesting as well. Have fun with the playthrough. :)

I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and finished the early access for Torment. I am impressed and this is the RPG I have been waiting for. You can play the 1st chapter and if the later ones are equally good, I will be satisified. All of the combat encounters were connected to the plot and none of this wolves in the wilderness nonsense.

I stupidly thought that the early access is the beta for the whole game, so I was severely disappointed when I wanted to check out the next "level" over the weekend. I'm basically reduced to counting the days until the release. I decided to try out D:OS Enhanced Edition in the meantime, but it's just no substitute.

Very cool. :)

I mentioned this in my Lords of Xulima thread, but that game has a pretty neat random character generator function. The character creation is really very simple in Xulima, so the few things that are randomized, such as the class, the "patron Lord" (or whatever that is called, it gives different bonuses based which of the 9 Lords is chosen), etc., lead to some interesting elements. It sort of forces you in a way to adapt to the starting characteristics of your party, perhaps giving you some new characters to play with that you might have not made otherwise. Pretty neat.

Your technique sounds interesting as well. Have fun with the playthrough. :)

Well, to be honest, since Xulima is in my backlog, I've avoided your thread. :p No offence meant, but I prefer to avoid threads on games unless i've played them extensively, or I'm on the fence about purchasing them.

I got really lucky and pulled items that cast Day of Sorcery and Day of Protection, which help offset my lack of regular casters. This is balanced by the lack of decent weapons and armor I've gotten. I'm still using stuff at L18-19 that I found in Vertigo and the Red Dwarf Mines. Most of my major upgrades come out of the Gemstone Mines in the Darkside.

I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and finished the early access for Torment. I am impressed and this is the RPG I have been waiting for. You can play the 1st chapter and if the later ones are equally good, I will be satisified. All of the combat encounters were connected to the plot and none of this wolves in the wilderness nonsense.

I stupidly thought that the early access is the beta for the whole game, so I was severely disappointed when I wanted to check out the next "level" over the weekend. I'm basically reduced to counting the days until the release. I decided to try out D:OS Enhanced Edition in the meantime, but it's just no substitute.

I am very pleased to hear this. I had the beta key for a while now and have resisted trying it, and I am now more looking forward to the final release this month (hoping to replace the steam key with a GoG key).

Well, to be honest, since Xulima is in my backlog, I've avoided your thread. :p No offence meant, but I prefer to avoid threads on games unless i've played them extensively, or I'm on the fence about purchasing them.

I got really lucky and pulled items that cast Day of Sorcery and Day of Protection, which help offset my lack of regular casters. This is balanced by the lack of decent weapons and armor I've gotten. I'm still using stuff at L18-19 that I found in Vertigo and the Red Dwarf Mines. Most of my major upgrades come out of the Gemstone Mines in the Darkside.

Sounds cool. :)

Funny, I'm the exact same way about RPGs I haven't played! I avoid any and all discussion about them if there is a chance I will play it in the future. :)

Lets see - got a few games going for a change right now (I say that as I tend to focus on one game at a time normally):

Pillars of Eternity
Skyrim
Fallout 4
Grim Dawn
Divine Divinity OS 2 (the pre version)
ESO

ESO, Injustice, MKXL and Summoners War.

Back
Top Bottom