Your top underrated games

Kingdoms of Amalur

Hmmm, I've never played Hellgate London. I'll have to give this one a look; well if it has a mage-type roll.

My underrated game will be Balrum. It's really a decent game and not enough folks played it. Their loss.

As far as Amalur, I really enjoyed the House of Ballads quest line, but I thought the game basically fell apart after that. It became a grind-fest till I just gave up. I still probably got over 100 hours out of it though, so worth the price.

Might and Magic 2. Many people consider it the worst M&M but it was my favorite. Well other then M&M9 which I never played.

Eador Genesis which I consider the greatest 4x game ever. Have played it more then HoMM3 which I didn't think was possible.

Might and Magic X was a very fine game. If there was more exploring to it like the other M&M's it would be up there with the rest of the series.

Konung 2 comes to mind, although it's not really underrated, more like not rated at all. I don't think many people know about this long lost Infinity Engine RPG. I quite liked it, though.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a bit underrated. I really enjoyed it and got crazy play-time out of it in one run like a good TES game. The DLC was also phenomenal, IMO. Some of the best content 38 Studios did at the time.

Elminage Gothic as well. While it's a bit brutal in many ways I appreciate that they added some obscure hardcore features, like limited map usage, tight inventory restrictions and what not. I think it got worse reviews because of that, but for those who enjoy that sort of experience it's really good.

I need to play Balrum. That's been on my list for far too long.

I've never heard of Konung 2 before. A quick Google search later and yeah that looks like my kinda thing, I'll look into it. Good thread! :)

Realms of the Haunting.

The only game that has a score less than 5/10 but IMO deserved to get much more is IMO Raven's Cry:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ravens-cry
Questionable morality of the setting and main protagonist seemed too much for politically correct at all costs critics and mainstream audience who forgot it's a videogame. Usually compared with AC4, this game is IMO more fun than Ubisoft's boredom and unlike unoptimized AC4 it doesn't hammer your CPU. Raven's Cry belongs in specific subgenre RPG/shipbattles style with Sea Dogs games.

I was thinking about trying this game but the reviews seem very concerned about the bugs. I didn't notice anything about political correctness, I doubt that is the issue.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslaved:_Odyssey_to_the_West

I bought this because it was dirt cheap and i enjoy post apocalyptic settings but was very quickly drawn in to the story and gameplay. The camera is a bit wonky but once you get used to it you have a great game.

All of Ninja Theory's games are underrated...Heavenly Sword, in particular.
Binary Domain...easily equal or better than any Mass Effect.
Alpha Protocol...the same. Appreciate it more and more on each playthrough.
SC Blacklist...better than any in series, damn good as TPS as well, fun as hell side missions, simple but fitting main story , great locations( break out of Guantanamo, Iran's military headquarters, infiltrate Presidential bunker...). As a whole package, best action stealth game out there...like playing a season of 24 h.
Vanquish...short ride of pure adrenaline.

The only game that has a score less than 5/10 but IMO deserved to get much more is IMO Raven's Cry:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ravens-cry
Questionable morality of the setting and main protagonist seemed too much for politically correct at all costs critics and mainstream audience who forgot it's a videogame. Usually compared with AC4, this game is IMO more fun than Ubisoft's boredom and unlike unoptimized AC4 it doesn't hammer your CPU. Raven's Cry belongs in specific subgenre RPG/shipbattles style with Sea Dogs games.

I bet we'll see Alpha Protocol in this thread again, but 7/10 IMO means above average and not underrated (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alpha-protocol ). IMO nothing that got a score higher than 5/10 can be called underrated.

Ugh, I did not have a good time with Raven's Cry. Performance was crap - and it didn't look very good. Wasn't too interesting, either :)

I agree that Alpha Protocol is sure to get mentioned eventually :)

I happen to think it's overrated by a lot of people!

I also liked Lord of the Rings: War in the North. A fine set-piece-heavy action RPG. It was fun to co-op through and I will never forget the AI of the lady companion. She acted incredibly reasonably, throwing up that energy shield at the most important of times. :) Not even joking, her AI was solid. The game was a fun one.

I second Dink Smallwood - wacky but hilarious!

Stardew Valley - seriously, more Watchers need to play it ;) especially you are stressed individual like myself, its a good therapy :D

NWN 1 modules - yes, there are tons but worth trying Hall of Fame ones. Installation isnt as fiddley as many people think and most of these are miles better than OC or even first official expansion.

Diablo 3 - yes it lacks depth but so what? Its a good fun for half an hour or so when you are short on time, esp if you have friends to play with.

Another good one is The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_War_in_the_North

Its an action with RPGish parts. Good gameplay and an excellent story. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Spec Ops: The Line

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec_Ops:_The_Line

Its a cover shooter game but the graphics and story are top notch. Kinda a post apocalyptic setting and they did a great job with it. It has a dark theme and I wasn't expecting the ending at all but it all made sense.

Toff, get out of my head. 2 great games you mentioned. I'll add 1 more:

Drakensang games, I found these to be on par with IE games or DA:O. Not sure why they weren't more popular. Dark eye setting and rules or bad marketing I'd guess?

Also, as noted previously, MMX.

It has many flaws. It's buggy. Overly simple environments, akin to children's platformers. And the game was brutally abandoned by Ubi. But I absolutely loved two things about it, the pace of level progression, and punishing tactical combat. And character building was okay.

MMX would brutalize you if you didn't have a balanced party. I really enjoyed it even though it felt little like any other M&M game.

As far as recent rpgs go, Wasteland 2: director's cut, is underrated, in my opinion.

Some other non-strictly rpg games that I have played recently and thought they were underrated:

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - the Old West setting is perfectly realized.
Dead Island definitive edition -- very underrated. Excellent open world game, with good story line.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary -- a masterpiece in my opinion, and the other two released in that series - Legend and Underworld, were also very good games.

And I'm currently playing Doom 3 BFG edition. Amazing game, I'm starting to think its also an underrated masterpiece - the more I play it, the more impressed I get.

Superb atmosphere, top class level design, variety, and pacing, simple but compelling story, great voice acting, awesome and believable imagining of a Mars based scientific research facility.

Back
Top Bottom