Dragon Age 4 - Rumors of its Existence

Yep, but it's still got a lot more RPG in it than Mass Effect. Has stats, inventory, loot, gearing with lots of slots, full control over companions skills and gear, etc.

Drop the inappropriate Frostbite engine and leave it were it belongs, in battlefield.
Sack every last SJW and feminist within the company.
Hire a writer that can actually write.
And I might show some interest.

"The Descent" was probably the most fun I had in the game but even that was somewhat spoiled by the "Hunt all the hidden objects" quest which involved mario like jumping skills. Jaws of Hakkon would of been okay but it had yet another boring open world zone full of respawning monsters and collectable quests and the dungeons just weren't long enough. The rest of the game was highly forgettable.

"The Descent" was probably the most fun I had in the game but even that was somewhat spoiled by the "Hunt all the hidden objects" quest which involved mario like jumping skills. Jaws of Hakkon would of been okay but it had yet another boring open world zone full of respawning monsters and collectable quests and the dungeons just weren't long enough. The rest of the game was highly forgettable.
Yeah, I thought the 3 DLCs (Descent, Jaws of Hakkon, and Trespasser) were overall the best part of the game, but like you said, Descent and Jaws of Hakkon were both spoiled to an extent by more retarded MMO collect quests. Another problem with the game is that I easily hit level cap and had crafted the best possible weapons/armors/etc long before even getting to the end (Trespasser), so there was nothing really left to improve for my party for dozens of hours of play.

Like I said towards the beginning of this thread, I thought the game was worth playing, but probably just barely? I mean, it was a big time commitment and there's so many good "real" RPGs out these days that I'm not sure BioWare games are worth even bothering with anymore. I'll definitely try ME:A once all its DLCs are out and the game is actually "finished", but obviously it's got horrid reviews and what sounds like even more of the shit MMO design, so I dunno, it might really finally be time to call it quits on BioWare.

My long winded point is that games that market themselves as RPGs but are nothing more than action/visual novels/fantasy games with RPG elements does a disservice for people who want more focus on systems and combat.

People who want more focus on systems and combat does a disservice for themselves. They would have it better to call their demand skirmish games etc Of course, they would lose the marketing weight of the RPG label in the doing.

The demand for RPGs to be about combat and systems is equivalent to the demand for RPGs to be about story.
As it is equivalent to all the other demands making RPGs something about everything else but roleplaying.

The only demand that stands aside is that the demand for RPGs to be about role playing.

Yeah blobby, I'm aware, just haven't played the DA games past Origins yet. That's why I was curious was the RPG mechanics looked like in the other 2 DA games. :)

Thanks for the info, Stingray.

Sorry Fluent, my bad. For some reason I thought you played these already. Not enough sleep maybe, I'm going to bed lol.

I mean, it was a big time commitment and there's so many good "real" RPGs out these days that I'm not sure BioWare games are worth even bothering with anymore.

That pretty much sums up how I feel as well. There are so many games to choose from nowadays, you really have to weigh how much you want to play something vs how much free time you have.

And for the people who want to criticize us for passing on ME:A without trying it, how many mediocre games does a company have to put out before we can start skipping them? Recent history has shown that we can expect a Bioware game to have a specific style that doesn't appeal to everyone.

I don't base my game purchases, overall, on the company who makes them but more on whether the game interests me. Granted if a company makes a bunch of crappy games (IMO not someone elses) I will be more hesitant about buying them and give them a more critical look. Likewise a company I know I like will spark my interest more (but even for Bethesda, a favorite of mine, there are many games from them I have not purchased or haven't liked)… but in the end the company matters less to me than the game itself. Both have a factor in a decision but I will buy a game I like from a company I dislike (as long as the dislike isn't due to a moral issue) but I won't buy a game I dislike from a company I do like.

Harsh critique is 10x more constructive than faggoty fanboyism you're enforcing. It makes devs tremble in fear and give you interviews.
I am enforcing faggoty fanboyism? That's new.

Sigh anyway your post sounds like an uneducated kid crying loud until he gets what he wants. Ridiculous.

That pretty much sums up how I feel as well. There are so many games to choose from nowadays.
Games, not general RPG that aren't Roguelike, Roguelite, just focused on action, Sim/strategical, more tactical game than RPG, JRPG clichés, Survival, more adventure than RPG, remake. Those more general RPG that aren't those other very specific RPG are in fact very rare, and even more rare with AAA budget.

Without to mention that most modern RPG releases have also their big flaws. Now what to pick or not, that's another problem.

Instead of bashing EA you should better bash Ubi for not making AAA RPG, the cowards.

Yep, but it's still got a lot more RPG in it than Mass Effect. Has stats, inventory, loot, gearing with lots of slots, full control over companions skills and gear, etc.

True. That's probably why I didn't continue Mass Effect after playing the first game. The first game was decent, though, but overall I'd rather a more traditional RPG experience. So I'd likely play KOTOR again instead. :)

But, Dragon Age does strike me as Bioware's "RPG" series, thus why they are keeping the stats, inventory, loot and so on, since it's a more traditional fantasy setting and those things are generally associated with traditional fantasy RPGs. I think I'll run through Origins again sometime, but not sure about DA2 or Inquisition. Probably check them out later but to be honest most AAA RPGs just don't excite me much anymore. I get more enjoyment playing the old-school stuff.

Sorry Fluent, my bad. For some reason I thought you played these already. Not enough sleep maybe, I'm going to bed lol.

Heh, nope, I'm like you, would rather just re-play Baldur's Gate or an NWN module or something. :p

You know I didn't think DA:I was the worse game ever. The worse part (for me) was the stupid dlc containing major pieces of the story and that as an early buyer the dlc (combined) is more expensive than just rebuying the complete game on sale. I.e, my hate is more with EA marketing (same goes for bethesda and the legendary crap raising the prices of dlc) than the game itself. The game itself was ok. I'll probalby buy this and ME:A but ony after the full game is available on sale.

I tried three different times to play DA: I.

I feel people that like Bioware games will always like them and buy them no matter how crappy they really are. I am fine with that it doesn't effect my life in any way.

I only play Bioware RPGs cause they always do party based with companions who talks a lot - I didn't really enjoy any of their new titles though starting from DA2.

Off-topic: Out of all Bioware titles I disliked JE the most. Is this worth having a go again? The dodgy kung fu style combat and weird adaptation of chinese culture really put me off JE. I think it's the most forgettable title of all Bioware games but Im considering giving it a one more go depending on Watch opinion. I gave up on finishing both KotOR and DA:I for good - had red hot go and have no regret.

JE was a fairly good console RPG

JE was not bad. It had a solid atmosphere, some interesting mystic-type lore bits and a bunch of companions to recruit. You could also learn different combat and martial arts styles that were kind of cool. Might be worth a peek, but might not be up there with BG or anything like that for you, blobby.

I tried three different times to play DA: I.

I feel people that like Bioware games will always like them and buy them no matter how crappy they really are. I am fine with that it doesn't effect my life in any way.
To be clear, I never enjoyed ME1 and never finished it. So in what box you put me?

Your sentence means that you never liked any Bioware game or you would like them all… Really you feel you are coherent on that?

3 times, the only example I remind is Morrowind, it's only at 4rth time along 2 years, that finally Morrowind clicked for me, before that for me it was an utter boredom crap.

There's a difference between enjoying playing a game and see the flaws. I'm just more tolerant, so I succeed finish DA2. That doesn't mean I didn't saw the incredible huge rushing, as the walls to make different version of a dungeon to reuse it, the simple fedex quests, the awful final parts and even end, the end staticism, and more.

I enjoyed play Antharion and Balrum, I suppose you are unable, your loss, but what's big is you consider your opinion matter more, despite you don't like much RPG…. Or it's just flawed Bioware RPG you don't like? Sigh.

Anyway play with more care your RPG, they all have huge flaws.

I only play Bioware RPGs cause they always do party based with companions who talks a lot - I didn't really enjoy any of their new titles though starting from DA2.
Party and companions are certainly a key element.

For me there's also combats. I haven't seen yet whining about MEA combats, but no way they are deeper and more tactical than DA2 combats, and they use and abuse of reinforcement probably more than in DA2, yeah with a more credible cinematic, a cinematic what a big deal. I know it's hard to compare, and that MEA combats have a random that is certainly a reason of enjoy them.

Anyway, Skyrim combats are crap in comparison of DA2 combats, and the increased peace in comparison of DAO changes nothing, just players expecting something and unable to adapt to something else.

Back
Top Bottom