The TV Series discussion thread

Great news on SG1. Stargate SG1 is one of my top 5 television series of all time. So I'm in, but the subscription thing has me somewhat concerned. Not for me but if the subscription thing doesn't work out we might not get more than 6 episodes. I, on the other hand am extremely patient. I won't even watch GOT until all the episodes are on my DVR and only then I will start my viewing marathon. So I can easily wait a year until they move the repeat episodes to a more general (syndication/Netflix?) release. Or just wait until they have all the episodes loaded and then subscribe for one month.

Last week I just finished watching the brilliant Netflix show/series Black Mirror (3 seasons). I was very pleased to learn they should be shooting season four right now. This show is clearly the Twilight Zone successor. While it doesn't have the jarring tale twist the original series had, it managed to tell topical stories, that I felt the New Twilight Zone, and New Outer limits totally lacked.

Last week I just finished watching the brilliant Netflix show/series Black Mirror (3 seasons). I was very pleased to learn they should be shooting season four right now. This show is clearly the Twilight Zone successor. While it doesn't have the jarring tale twist the original series had, it managed to tell topical stories, that I felt the New Twilight Zone, and New Outer limits totally lacked.

San Junipero is one of my favorite TV episodes on any TV show ever.

New Star Trek trailer looks a lot better than the previous material we've seen.

New Star Trek trailer looks a lot better than the previous material we've seen.
Indeed. Even the Klingons look and sound OK now. Well, except for the armor perhaps, which I'm still not fond of. Really looking forward to it.

New series on Netflix. OZARK

A Chicago based finantial advisor and family relocate to Ozarks after dad's money laundering operations with drug cartel go astray.

Didn't intend to watch but clicked wrong link and series started -- no turning back after that. Next thing I knew I'd finished the entire first season. Great actors, acting, story. lots of twists and turns. Series currently has incredible 8.9 out of 10 rating at IMDb.

__

Yeah we've watched the first eight episodes of Ozark, I was hooked when I heard the Radiohead song in episode one. The whole family seems to be douchebags, I'm hoping that, in the end, the little kid (Jonah?) just kills everyone else. And then he'll take over the town or something like that!

Yeah we've watched the first eight episodes of Ozark, I was hooked when I heard the Radiohead song in episode one. The whole family seems to be douchebags, I'm hoping that, in the end, the little kid (Jonah?) just kills everyone else. And then he'll take over the town or something like that!

I too really liked Jonah. And was surprised by the level of character development across the board in the series. Characters came alive, grew, and changed (except for the characters that got killed - heh). Really a surprising series on many levels.

Too darn short.

__

I'm still not sure about Star Trek Discovery. The production values seem high, but nothing I've seen so far is grabbing me. I'm not impressed by the cast either.

I've watched the first 8 episodes of The Expanse now, and yeah, it's pretty good. It's one of those shows that just keeps getting better as the season goes on. I'm about to watch the last two episodes of season 1.

Could be good, unless they go Sopranos or Bad whatnot meth lab overhyped series again.
Will risk, added on to watch list.

I'm still not sure about Star Trek Discovery… I'm not impressed by the cast either.
Have to agree on this. I do adore Michelle Yeoh in everything she did and have no doubts she'll shine in here too, but am not sure if others I saw in the trailer can live up to fans' expectations.

I've watched the first 8 episodes of The Expanse now, and yeah, it's pretty good. It's one of those shows that just keeps getting better as the season goes on. I'm about to watch the last two episodes of season 1.
It's one of those shows where you expect Killjoys clone and then you can't believe how different it is.
My only hope is that it doesn't lose itself if some CEO decides it needs to continue after the planned end and then ruins it. Okay, such decision worked for SG1, but there is only one Claudia Black on this planet who can pul that through.

Have to agree on this. I do adore Michelle Yeoh in everything she did and have no doubts she'll shine in here too, but am not sure if others I saw in the trailer can live up to fans' expectations.
The vulcans and philosophical one-liners made it for me. My only hope is that CBS isn't shooting itself in the foot for making the series exclusive. I'm used to the idea that Star Trek serials need a season or two to find themselves, so I'm hoping ST:DIS will actually get there.

Can't wait for the expanse season 2. Latest news is it will hit Netflix europe end of August. Very late for a so-called netflix original. Been waiting since June as it was promised then but then postponed and postponed. :(

Shortly thereafter I'll also have star trek though. There can never be enough sci-fi.

A female doctor who is also interesting, albeit last two seasons or so aren't on Netflix yet (yes I only have Netflix :p). It used to be there right after airing in the UK.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It's one of those shows where you expect Killjoys clone and then you can't believe how different it is.
My only hope is that it doesn't lose itself if some CEO decides it needs to continue after the planned end and then ruins it. Okay, such decision worked for SG1, but there is only one Claudia Black on this planet who can pul that through.

That's the thing about US TV. They find something with a story that works; then the directors, actors and writers all go, "oh! we have a hit. a big audience. We can't let this end as planned." So they turn it into a soap opera. With no developing story, no continuity. And they milk it until the audience gets tired of the whole thing, Then it dies, and is remembered as a show milked to death; rather than the good story and actors it originally was,

Hope TE avoids the soap opera fate…

__

Can't wait for the expanse season 2. Latest news is it will hit Netflix europe end of August. Very late for a so-called netflix original. Been waiting since June as it was promised then but then postponed and postponed. :(

Eh? Why not just download it? I did. :)

Eh? Why not just download it? I did. :)
I try not to if I know it will come to Netflix :) I can wait a couple of months. Only if I'm sure it won't then I revert to other means. Like that show with white-skinned zombies with blue eyes.

Ozark - New series on Netflix.

Thanks for the heads up, that looks like it might actually be good. GoT being on telenovela-level right now I was desperately looking for something to watch.

Still watching Peaky Blinders - but not as fond of it as I was. Seems to be going in the same direction almost all other shows are going: more for the sake of more.

Meaning, they're trying to outdo themselves in terms of shocking violence or over-the-top characters and extra emotional drama.

That angle with Polly's son must be one of the least convincing character development arcs I've seen lately.

Subtlety is truly a lost art, it seems.

Peaky Blinders had a great first season. But it went downhill fast after that. I don't remember the details of the second and third season but after the third I decided to stop watching the show. This season was ludicrous.

I read an interview with the author Stephen Knight. He said that he improvised the story for each season after the first. He had no story plan for the entire series. And it shows. I have seldom seen a series that dropped as fast in quality as peaky blinders.

Back
Top Bottom