Shadow of War - Now has a Marketplace

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Middle-earth: Shadow of War will have a marketplace with in-game purchases. Needless to say this is a somewhat controversial move for a single player game.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Introducing the Market - Announcement

The innovative Nemesis System created unique personal stories through procedurally-generated enemies who remember every encounter and are differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Middle-earth: Shadow of War expands this innovation with the introduction of followers who bring about entirely new stories of loyalty, betrayal and revenge. The Nemesis System is also expanded to create a unique personal world through Nemesis fortresses, which allows players to utilize different strategies to conquer dynamic strongholds and create personalized worlds with their unique Orc army.

An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).

Through the Market, players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection).

• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion's character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.

• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.

To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:

• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game

Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:

• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.

Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

What is Mirian and how do I earn it?

• Mirian is a form of in-game currency that players earn by playing the game. Along with Gold, Mirian can be used to purchase Loot Chests and War Chests from the Market. Mirian can be acquired by:
  • Defeating Treasure Orcs
  • Destroying Gear for Mirian
  • Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
  • Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
What is Gold and how do I earn it?

Gold is a form of in-game currency awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased for real money through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet. Along with Mirian, Gold can be used to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts from the Market.

What can I get with Gold?

Along with Mirian, players can use Gold to purchase Loot Chests that contain Gear for Talion (weapons and armor), War Chests that provide Orcs for your army of followers and Boosts that help level up Talion faster.

Do I have to pay for Gold?

No, Gold is awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet using real money. Everything a player can buy with Gold can also be earned in the game over time for free, but Gold gives players the option to acquire these items faster. No Gold purchases are necessary to enjoy the complete game experience.

What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?

By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.

Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?

No, Gold does not give you any advantage over other players. A player who invests enough time can progress the same amount and have access to the same content as a player who purchases Gold. Gold is not required to progress or advance in the game at all.

Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can't get through normal play?

No, all of the aforementioned items can be earned playing through the game. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately.

How much does Gold cost?

Prices for Gold will be communicated at a later date.
More information.

What about those who don't want to play all main quests of the game? No option to buy an automatic finish of the whole game? I'm disappointed. :(

Not that the game will be in any way affected, in order to incentivise payments to bypass the grind. Oh dearie me, no.

That would come as a big nice surprise for all the people who thought than they had to play it on top of having to buy it.
Oh, look! A pre-order button.

Paying for cheats? Why not just cheat and save the money?

That's where Denuvo comes in. Anti-piracy is only part of it - it can prevent people from tampering with the game in any way, and facilitate this sort of nonsense.

I expect only praise of this garbage on PC gamer. Last time a game added pay2cheat microtransactions, that was MGS5, they crowned it as GOTY.

(bookmarked so I can c/p this on PCG when they bring up news about this upcoming scam)

I so dislike this trend in games. More and more its spend cash to adjust the game to your liking ... its like modding only for money. I suppose that is maybe behind it? Companies see all these players being able to get mods for new items, clothes, ways to adjust the game (whether to cheat or make it harder), etc., all for free ... because many mod authors just like making stuff and sharing it. But why not make it so players have to buy this stuff for the game? I mean it will make us $$$.

Of course you don't have to buy anything if you don't want but its there and it's stink tends to permeate the rest of the game.

This is utterly ridiculous. I will be sure to avoid any games put out in the future by Monolith (Monolith Productions is their studio name) just based on this nonsense alone.

Other single-player games have this "feature" in which someone can pay real money to advance more quickly. I completely ignore it and I don't understand why anyone would want this. However, I also don't understand why people are so offended by it. Apparently there are some who take advantage of this feature, so this gives them an option.

I doubt its Monolith, and highly suspect its Warner Brothers, the publisher.

I still blame Monolith. If they cared about their reputation at all, they wouldn't allow this. No excuses.

Well, I am disappointed by the negativity I'm reading on here... tsk, tsk. I, for one, am looking forward to the just-announced Ultimate Collectors Edition for $129.99. It comes with an already completed version of the game so you don't even have to install it to win!!

They just unequivocally lost my cash. Screw them and the donkey they rode in on.

Other single-player games have this "feature" in which someone can pay real money to advance more quickly. I completely ignore it and I don't understand why anyone would want this. However, I also don't understand why people are so offended by it. Apparently there are some who take advantage of this feature, so this gives them an option.

Because a lot of people can see where this leads. It starts as an "innocuous option" then they start slicing things out JUST LIKE DLC and reselling it to you "optionally" so you can finish the damn game you paid for.

Can you imagine every time you drove your car you were asked if you would like the optional stereo sound from your radio, or the optional good gas mileage this trip, or the optional seat warmer for 10 minutes for $2.00? Its BS.

I shouldn't have to be assaulted by a cash shop from a product I paid for already.

Unfortunately, I was just reading the other day about how many billions the industry is making from micro transactions and sliced up DLC, and the high percentage of users that buy into it. Can't find the article now, but grim reading in terms the likelihood of this becoming the new normal.

Back
Top Bottom