Shadow of War - Now has a Marketplace

Er, my apologies, but I'm a bit lost here - what does this have to do with millenials?

Millennial prefer services over product.
You can be offended if you like but its been proven by a plethora of studies and market evidence. Its not really negative, its just a fact.

Millennial prefer services over product.
You can be offended if you like but its been proven by a plethora of studies and market evidence. Its not really negative, its just a fact.

I'm not offended, nor do I doubt it's legitimacy. I'd certainly wager that people born between a certain time period are the prime candidates for supporting micro transactions, particularly because they grew up alongside an industry that pushed for it. That's not my point, though.

I'm questioning the generalization of a generation, and how that particular generation of people had any correlation with micro transactions. I thought we were on the topic of micro transactions steadily ruining the gaming industry. It jumped from "micro transactions" to "people born between x and y", so I got lost there.

Incidentally, there are plenty of people outside that age group who have enforced the idea of micro transactions, too, so it certainly isn't limited to millenials. A good percentage of consumers are to blame.

As title of the video says, this game should change it's title into Shadow of More Dollars.

EDIT:
Said before but need to repeat. Jim's taste is IMO poor and scores he puts on games I cannot agree with.

But when it comes to gaming industry practices like in this video above, watching his vids feels like I'm hearing myself talking. I wish more of people in public media had guts to do it.

Last edited:
Incidentally, there are plenty of people outside that age group who have enforced the idea of micro transactions, too, so it certainly isn't limited to millenials. A good percentage of consumers are to blame.

Starting with people who made the offer (few millenia were precocious enough to make it)

So large movement that is getting a tremendous support from many people. For obvious causes.

On this site, the support for the crowdfunding movement is mighty. Crowdfunded products are a variation of servicing. Same stuff as others: servicing a situation made flawed at initial release ( an easier way to secure a volume of activity)

The crowdfunding scene adds its own flavour: players are going to be handed down graciously free updates to correct the products released bugged on purpose.
Wonderful burst of generosity as customers are going to be priviledged people to receive free stuff. Devs could pull out the plug anytime. Favour.

Of course, the fact that the service of developping a product was charged from the beginning must be forgotten or happiness does not follow.

I'm questioning the generalization of a generation, and how that particular generation of people had any correlation with micro transactions.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I lost track of the thread.

Generalizations are generalizations for a reason. Just like stereotypes are called stereotypes for a reason. I know this is the age of the "unique snowflake" and we have to be all careful with language or else we get hammered by social justice folks.

The generalizations generally hold true. I promise you when it comes to marketing and purchasing statistics there has been so much data harvested it would make your head spin. For whatever bizarre reason people born between Year A and Year B have voted with their wallet and prefer service over product. Other people born between Years C and D have reinforced it for sure. Whether it is because they actually subscribe to the idea, or if they simply have the most disposable income of the groups I don't know.

On an unrelated note (and not connected to anything said in this thread or implied):
I do find it funny that people lose their mind over so many stereotypes, including the most basic minor ones. But.. if you blame the white class, "the 1%", the babyboomers, the oppressive male sex, the corporate overlords... Then its totally ok.

Sorry it took so long to reply, I lost track of the thread.

Generalizations are generalizations for a reason. Just like stereotypes are called stereotypes for a reason. I know this is the age of the "unique snowflake" and we have to be all careful with language or else we get hammered by social justice folks.

The generalizations generally hold true. I promise you when it comes to marketing and purchasing statistics there has been so much data harvested it would make your head spin. For whatever bizarre reason people born between Year A and Year B have voted with their wallet and prefer service over product. Other people born between Years C and D have reinforced it for sure. Whether it is because they actually subscribe to the idea, or if they simply have the most disposable income of the groups I don't know.

On an unrelated note (and not connected to anything said in this thread or implied):
I do find it funny that people lose their mind over so many stereotypes, including the most basic minor ones. But.. if you blame the white class, "the 1%", the babyboomers, the oppressive male sex, the corporate overlords… Then its totally ok.

Well, in my social circle - which is pretty much all people born way before the turn of the century - microtransactions are the norm and something most of them support without giving it a second thought.

It seems completely unrelated to age - though, obviously, younger people aren't as aware of the alternative.

I don't think it has anything to do with preference. In fact, I'm sure it has nothing to do with that.

It has to do with no alternatives being available to choose instead.

Back
Top Bottom