Cyberpunk 2077 - Gamescom Gameplay Video

Does anyone know when this finally comes out? It feels like I've been waiting for ages and the Hype is getting severe, especially after seeing Gameplay.

Final thought after skimming the video again. This doesn't look like much of an RPG at all, which is disappointing because I thought they were trying to recreate a Cyberpunk 2020 tabletop experience. It looks more like a cross between Deus Ex and GTA V.

This is very early in the game (which is explained) so we probably shouldn't expect too much depth at this point (dialogue, roleplaying etc).

Not sure what you were expecting, it also doesnt look like GTA or Deus Ex. Deus Ex is far from this immersive, its not true open world. GTA is not an RPG and its not as immersive as e.g Witcher 3 (or this), and i've played all GTA's ;)

I thought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided was very immersive, but that took place in a city of much smaller scale. If CDPR can create that kind of experience with a much larger game world, I'll be quite satisfied.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is stealth. I hope that's not a neglected feature.

Does anyone know when this finally comes out? It feels like I've been waiting for ages and the Hype is getting severe, especially after seeing Gameplay.

Oh, man. I don't think I agree with you about the game, but that did make me laugh.

Wow. Imagine that in VR :D

It's a really odd design choice to let you hear your character, no?
They claim they did first person for immersion reasons - YOU are the person in the game, you're not watching (or hearing!) someone else.

I find that it takes away a bit from the first person experience, especially if a character says something that i'm not thinking personally, just shut up and let me immerse myself in the situation, i don't need a third person to "guide" me of what's going on or what to think.

But i bet too many would complain, mainly all kids.

Like you acknowledge, this is about your preferences. For my part, the Cyberpunk setting, and how intricately and well they seem to implement its staple elements, is a HUGE part of why I'm so excited. One, I like Cyberpunk. Two, I'm starving for good games that aren't in fantasy settings. Three, there are just things you can do with technology as far as interactions that you can't do in other settings.

Yea, I can definitely see why people who are into cyberpunk are very excited about this game. It seems tailor made for them.

It's a really odd design choice to let you hear your character, no?
They claim they did first person for immersion reasons - YOU are the person in the game, you're not watching (or hearing!) someone else.

I find that it takes away a bit from the first person experience, especially if a character says something that i'm not thinking personally, just shut up and let me immerse myself in the situation, i don't need a third person to "guide" me of what's going on or what to think.

But i bet too many would complain, mainly all kids.

I have yet to play a game in which I imagined myself to be the character I was playing, regardless of the perspective. So no, I don't think it's strange at all. You make it sound like it's contradictory, but I don't see it that way at all. I'm playing a character called "V", and I'm guiding that character, but it's certainly not me any more than an actor is (generally) playing him or herself when they take a role in a movie or TV show.

I'm certainly not a kid, but I would prefer the protagonist to be voiced in this game. Your criticism that V being voiced causes a disconnect between what they say and what you would say is kinda silly since you'd have the same disconnect if the protagonist was not voiced. Unless you would prefer having no dialogue at all? I definitely would not prefer that.

I have yet to play a game in which I imagined myself to be the character I was playing, regardless of the perspective. So no, I don't think it's strange at all. You make it sound like it's contradictory, but I don't see it that way at all. I'm playing a character called "V", and I'm guiding that character, but it's certainly not me any more than an actor is (generally) playing him or herself when they take a role in a movie or TV show.

I'm certainly not a kid, but I would prefer the protagonist to be voiced in this game. Your criticism that V being voiced causes a disconnect between what they say and what you would say is kinda silly since you'd have the same disconnect if the protagonist was not voiced. Unless you would prefer having no dialogue at all? I definitely would not prefer that.

yeah would prefer if it was not voiced since its first person (=you're the person). Dialogue for your own person makes little to no sense, detracting from the first person experience.

I'd prefer to just use my inner voice for whatever dialogue option there is. But real speech recognition could be cool too. I've used it in some games like SWAT 3 with great success (this was some 20 years ago, so i bet it works even better today, haven't tried it in ages).

In first person games the idea is that you're the person, you're in that spot. I've played many games which really takes me there. It's a great experience. Much prefer it to third person. In VR it's even better of course.

yeah would prefer if it was not voiced since its first person (=you're the person). Dialogue for your own person makes little to no sense, detracting from the first person experience.

I'd prefer to just use my inner voice for whatever dialogue option there is. But real speech recognition could be cool too. I've used it in some games like SWAT 3 with great success (this was some 20 years ago, so i bet it works even better today, haven't tried it in ages).

Again, first person does not mean you're the person. It just doesn't. Deus Ex is played in first person. Are you JC Denton? No. JC Denton is JC Denton, and as the player, you guide him as your avatar through the worldspace. There have also been games in which the conceit is that you *are* the person in the game (like Out of this World) which are played in 3rd person. The connection is not as automatic as you suppose.

Again, first person does not mean you're the person. It just doesn't. Deus Ex is played in first person. Are you JC Denton? No. There have also been games in which the conceit is that you *are* the person in the game (like Out of this World) which are played in 3rd person. The connection is not as automatic as you suppose.

Yes you're that person, that's the idea with the first person experience, you're seeing from this person's eyes, you're not watching someone else in third person. You're taking someone's place.

The connection is immediate, but things like having a voice for the person you are will detract for sure.

From what i recall from Deus Ex 1 is that you never reply with a voice in first person, in third person you do hear your voice. So here the devs put thought into it, making sure it was immersive for the player.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far is stealth. I hope that's not a neglected feature.

We do see what is probably the stealth of the game in the gameplay video. There is 3 takedowns on unsuspected enemies (guy getting fried in the bath early on, dude getting jacking in, than dropping from above on the 3rd one).

If there is a stealth skill or vents to crawl into though, no idea. The devs haven't said anything outside "stealth tactics" (in a instant message convo someone had with one of the CM, not even an interview).

I wouldn't expect DX level of stealth focus.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but the protagonist being voiced is fairly common in first-person games, and I can't recall ever feeling less immersed because of it.

I can understand how some people wouldn't like it though.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but the protagonist being voiced is fairly common in first-person games, and I can't recall ever feeling less immersed because of it. I can understand how some people wouldn't like it though.

No it's no big deal, just an odd design choice when going all in with the first person immersive experience (which they do like to point out again and again). It might also be easy to mod..

No it's no big deal, just an odd design choice when going all in with the first person immersive experience (which they do like to point out again and again). It might also be easy to mod..

Idk, I guess that depends how you look at it. Having a voiced protagonist doesn't seem to be a very widespread complaint.

First person isn't just about being the person (or in my view, not about that at all). It's about the means by which you interact with the world, like the scanner you have installed in this gameplay video. Zooming in and scanning what you see makes a lot more sense (and yes, is more immersive) when it's communicated in first person. This is what they are pointing out again and again. They are not harping on "it's you in the game, it's you, it's you, it's you", as you would seem to have it.

If there is a stealth skill or vents to crawl into though, no idea. The devs haven't said anything outside "stealth tactics" (in a instant message convo someone had with one of the CM, not even an interview).

Now that I think about it, they demonstrated some type of cloaking tech with that spider bot. I wouldn't be surprised if the player can eventually acquire something similar for themself.

First person isn't just about being the person (or in my view, not about that at all). It's about the means by which you interact with the world, like the scanner you have installed in this gameplay video. Zooming in and scanning what you see makes a lot more sense (and yes, is more immersive) when it's communicated in first person. This is what they are pointing out again and again. They are not harping on "it's you in the game, it's you, it's you, it's you", as you would seem to have it.

You're seeing from a first person perspective, you're taking someone's place, that's the idea, and yes this goes for being able to see / use stuff like you do in the real world.

I'm also not sure why you would not want to immersive yourself into thinking you're the person, it adds a lot more to the experience as opposed to thinking "it's just some dude". Each to his own. Perhaps not everyone can immersive themselves like that or even likes it. Anyways, should be easy to mod out i think..

We do see what is probably the stealth of the game in the gameplay video. There is 3 takedowns on unsuspected enemies (guy getting fried in the bath early on, dude getting jacking in, than dropping from above on the 3rd one).

I think I read that they said that stealth and stealth related level design wouldn't be as simple as vents, but I'm not sure how it is going to be implemented. For my part, I would like it if stealth is more naturally integrated and not such a conscious gameplay or character advancement choice. In other words, if you want to sneak up on somebody, you just do so by moving slowly, avoiding their sight lines, etc. Maybe with no stealth skill, since everyone can sneak (they just might not be very good at it) with a baseline determined by your reflexes, and then various mods/equipment could make you bettter at it.

Back
Top Bottom