Cyberpunk 2077 - Gamescom Gameplay Video

I just want good weapons and armor to be rare and/or expensive. I don't want to be swapping gear every 30 minutes or every time I advance in level.

This is my only worry atm: Diablo-like loot or the Witcher 3 system with all the same but different levels.

Yeah, in that case CDPR seems to have hit the nail on the head :)

I can't say I find the setting very compelling if that's some kind of all-encompassing rule for characters, but I have the feeling the writers have something up their sleeve. At least I hope so.

The rules are more for the character you are playing and who they interact with in the pnp…usually.

It's a bit like in Shadowrun, but instead of being a shadowrunner, you're an "edgerunner" (and a cyberpunk).

The rules are more for the character you are playing and who they interact with in the pnp…usually.

It's a bit like in Shadowrun, but instead of being a shadowrunner, you're an "edgerunner" (and a cyberpunk).

Ok, but all the characters in the video seemed a great fit for that exact style - and it makes a lot of sense after you've told me :) This includes the protagonist and her friends.

To me, that kind of thing will get stale and tiresome very fast - unless CDPR changes it around and makes it more subtle and mature when it's least expected. That's just the kind of thing I could see them doing.

The recent Shadowrun games all managed to go beyond the superficial "Chummer" slang style and become rather intriguing in terms of story and character - and I suspect this will happen in CP2077 too.

Certainly, it would be counter to tradition if all we got was the same slang saturation and edgy characters over and over for the full game.

Probably not something I need to worry about - it was just a little jarring compared to what I would have expected from a game they went on about being "mature and visceral" - because what I saw could only be mature in the eyes of a teenager :)

I think the combat looks significantly better than in games like Fallout 4 or Deus Ex. I'd be especially disappointed if it turned out to be anything like Fallout 4 in that aspect.

Not because I don't enjoy the combat in FO4, I do, but I expect the movement and animations to be a lot faster and smoother compared to the somewhat clunky and awkward movement in the Creation engine.

Ok, but all the characters in the video seemed a great fit for that exact style - and it makes a lot of sense after you've told me :) This includes the protagonist and her friends.
I hope we see some important characters that are not exreme in either being either chaotic punks or greedy megacorps guys.
And I really hope I get the option to play V a little less punky. It would be a pity if after playing a fixed Geralt you now can play a more or less blank slate but are equally restricted by the setting.

I hope we see some important characters that are not exreme in either being either chaotic punks or greedy megacorps guys.
And I really hope I get the option to play V a little less punky. It would be a pity if after playing a fixed Geralt you now can play a more or less blank slate but are equally restricted by the setting.

It should be more varied than that.

For example, The Maelstrom (the gang in the gameplay video) is supposed to be made of augmented ex-war veterans with a tendency for violence. But Dum Dum was pretty chill, Royce though…

If we are lucky, CDPR put in the much stranger gangs types which means we could have something like the Bozos (a gang that plays dark pranks with members who have altered their bodies to looks like clowns) or the not violent The Philharmonic Vampyres (another prankster gang but more into "artistic pranks" that are long to clean).

As for V, I don't think the gameplay video suggested a very blank state, unfortunately.

How could we not? I think CDPR has more than earned the benefit of the doubt there. The Witcher series has a wide variety of different types of character. The struggle of those on the bottom of the social order against those at the top will no doubt be an important theme (THE important theme, probably), but I'm 100% sure there will be all kinds of different characters.

This is maybe more fixed. You'll have some control of course depending on which quests you do and how you do them, but her basic personality/tone probably isn't all that variable, and cocky hellraiser is what we've got. Which is fine with me, really, but I can understand if that disappoints somebody. No real way to win that one, IMO. A true blank slate isn't possible personality-wise if you have spoken dialogue and prevailing themes for your main story.

Jeez this topic moves fast!

Yeah, it works great in shooters, but they don't have a skill system to support. In an RPG you need to decide if you want to put points into your pistol skill, your shotgun skill, or some diplomacy skill and play to the style you pick. With that sort of combat system, though, you just practice and get good at the headshots and put all your points into other things. Whether you've got an old pea shooter and no skill or a +10 plasma rifle and your ranged skill maxxed out, the head shots will make them the same.

Though, now that I look at it… maybe they've got a bit of a hybrid going? They do have critical areas to hit sometimes and that clearly has to be done via your twitching. Perhaps the skills will only be used to access more complex weapons while your twitch abilities (and weapon stats) will be used to figure out damage and hit rate?

Regarding realistic PnP combat… ugh. I saw that in Rolemaster and it's criticals. They're fun when attacking but terrible when some friggin' kobold gets lucky and puts an arrow through your windpipe. The only way I saw to get out of that was to limit the criticals to crippling-but-not-too-deadly. (Or just not doing any combat.)

PnP doesn't have the bottomless, full party ressurrection powers of a save game system, though, so I don't think it applies here.

P.S. PC Gamer reports that you will be able to turn off the damage numbers flying around.

P.P.S. I really want to see how other classes work out. The video says there aren't classes but I'm hoping there's various different careers other than "hired muscle." Can you play as a rock star? A reporter? The end made it sound like there was a path into the corporates.

Yeah, I think that’s my disconnect, I see a shooter when I look at it and don’t think RPG mechanics.

Plus, I always play stealth when givin the option. There’s nothing more satisfying in a shooter than slowly sneaking through in area with a silenced pistol and taking enemies out with headshots.

Yeah, I guess it's a thing about how much you like and know the setting.

I'm not intimately familiar with Cyberpunk lore - and only have a very superficial understanding of CP2020. I've played a lot of Cyberpunk games, though, but few of them have revolved around the actual "punk" aspect to this degree.

I tried reading Neuromancer a couple of times, but found it awful. But that's because I'm not a big style over substance guy. I mean, it's clearly very colorful and inventive - but I really just want the story, and I don't engage with flair when it's constantly in my face.

I mean, I love style - but substance HAS to be dominant for me to appreciate something on a higher level.

So, if this game is fan-service much like Witcher games were fan-service to the readers of the books - I can certainly appreciate that.

But I'm not sure it's a great fit for my personal preferences. I don't particularly enjoy parodies or overly "grim dark" edgy material - which CP2020 certainly seems to be.

That whole paradigm of Rockerboys and Corpos - or whatever - seems quite rigid in terms of what you can do with people and their behavior.

Still, if there's one area in which I have faith in CDPR - it's in terms of writing and the ability to tell a story.

So, I'm sure it'll have some great stuff in it. I'll just have to adapt to this strange vibe.

Oh and this is what I got, just for being there:
m_Cyberpunk2077_Statue_Gamescom_2018.jpg

Now I envy you :)

Back
Top Bottom