Everything at once, or replay?

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
Are you the kind who burn through the game, skip stuff at will because you know you will replay the game, or are you the type that carefully finish every angle and feel bad if you missed something?

Obvious exception are the games that actually offer multiple paths/endings that vastly change the gaming experience.

When I play RPG's I go for the rule "do everything on the first run" and I never play the same game more than once. Even when I tried I often dropped out prematurely since I know how the game will end. Sometimes I rely on walkthroughs to make sure I havnt missed anything.

It really depends on the game type. For action-types, I tend to set myself up to do most things, really trying to role-play and collect everything possible, but eventually get more into a kill-and-go mode if the game doesn't mix it up.

For things that make you choose a path, I try to really strictly role play, which gives me immediate replayability to try other stuff.

For stuff like Oblivion I just do everything in sight.

Definitely play as a "complete-ist". Mow every map, hunt down every side quest. I get annoyed by "either-or" quests since it makes it clear that my choice eliminates some options. A few gems (mm6, mm7, wiz8) get replays, but generally it's one-n-done with most games.

Fairly complete-ist. As I get older and time becomes an issue, I find myself getting impatient and wanting to rush any content that isn't up to scratch, but I try to do as much as I can.

I don't replay games, with the exception of some classics (Fallout comes to mind). I do often make saves and go back and play with some specific choices.

Replay ... that is another interesting thing ... I used to replay a lot more than I do now ...

I am still finishing my 5th anniversary play-through of Jedi Knight II, which will make ~35 times or so. In terms of RPG's, Gothic 2 and KotOR have each been done 6 full runs, plus partials. Others less so.

If a game actually provides for a different experience when replaying it I don't mind having to replay it. A game like Dark Messiah where most parts of the game feels utterly different whether you're plowing through the enemies swinging your sword, laying traps and mind controlling the enemies with magic or skulking in the shadows taking them out one by one without them knowing what happened, is actually great fun to play several times.

There are also times, like you already mentioned, where you have to choose a path. If said path is a choice between good and evil, I always choose good and seldom have the spine to play it again as an evil character (I have real trouble seeing the merit of the evil choices and I don't really know how to play an evil character properly so I can't actually say that I enjoy playing the bad guy).

However, if it is up for grabs then there is no way in hell, I'm going to pass it up. To me, side quests are just main quests without plot progression but they are no less important or less "mandatory" than main quests. I mean, the developers took the time to put them in there so if I just skip them I might as well uninstall the game and play something else instead.

Now if we're talking about auto generated quests/missions like in FreeLancer then I usually tire of them after a while and then only do them if I need money or loot.

However, I've replayed a lot of my games over the years. Some of them many times. If the gameplay is appealing (like in the new Prince of Persia trilogy) then I play them several times or if the story/atmosphere is appealing (like in The Dig or Psychonauts or Beyond Good & Evil) then I pull them out again once in a while a replay them as well. After finding out that a treesome or a girl on girl action is possible in Jade Empire I just HAVE to try that at some point :blush: ... that and the fact that I'm a martial arts nut requires me to perfect every style at one point or another.

I rarely replay games and almost never immediately. I'll replay an old game years later, as I'm doing now with DF, but I'm a SLOW completist who does everything possible my first time through. I did play the original KoTOR twice in succession for each path, but didn't enjoy the experience, so with K2 I played only the 'good' side!!

I guess this depends on what are my intentions. For personal enjoyment I usually try to enjoy the ride instead of obssessing with covering every angle of a game. If it's a CRPG with any degree of replayability then I don't fret over having missed something since eventually I might get back to it later, but it's not mandatory.

If I'm playing a game for reviewing purposes I do my best to carefully find everything open to my character, then replay with another character to explore paths that my other character did not, or could not, take.

I don't replay every CRPG, so I don't even consider that when I am playing one through. I really just try to "role" play my character and I take my time. I like seeing the sights and doing the extra stuff that may be available, but only if it fits in with the personality of the character that I'm playing.

So, I may not see every side quest or location due to the fact that my character may not be inclined to go in that direction, but at the same time I don't rush through any game.

That's why I'm always so far behind on my gaming. My other problem is that I have a hard time playing more than 1 CRPG at a time. I don't like having to try to remember the different plots and subplots at the same time. For me it's like trying to read two fantasy novels at the same time - I just can't do it. So my CRPG shelf is always full. I do however, usually play an FPS while I'm playing a CRPG since FPSs usually don't require much in the way of remembering thick plotlines ;)

I like games with focus so I stick to the linear plot with the intention of replaying all the juicy bits I missed before. The problem is..I never actually replay a game.

I am a completist, finish every quest, collect every bitty thing. Be thorough, go check agains sometimes in case I missed anything.

I'm an odd duck. I try to complete as much as possible, but will refuse to do things that go against my character's personality. So if I'm playing a Paladin, I won't do any thief-sidequests.

I will replay games, but rarely finish them a second time around. One of my problems is that a lot of games have only a few branches, mainly 'good' and 'evil', and I never play evil. So besides the occasional sidequest that I've missed with a previous character (like in the example above) it will still be the same game for me.

The other problem with playing a second time around for me is that I love to create characters and character concepts, and the moment I have those characters working I'll think of a different character and creating that one instead. Then, after I've replayed the beginning several times I get bored with the beginning part and install a different game instead...

The other problem with playing a second time around for me is that I love to create characters and character concepts, and the moment I have those characters working I'll think of a different character and creating that one instead. Then, after I've replayed the beginning several times I get bored with the beginning part and install a different game instead...

Wholeheartedly ditto to that! The rest too, it's just that I didn't want to quote the whole post. :shy:

I try to do everything in one go. Sometimes, if that is not the option, such as mutually exclusive quests, I try either to skip it so I can explore more of the game before I come to those pesky quests or task so I would have a smaller portion to replay, or do it right away with a future replay in mind that sadly I rarely do.

It depends on the game and my character. Sometimes I replay a game to do different things with another character (if doing these things seems interesting to me), sometimes I try to cram it all into one game. I don't like to play evil types, but once I finish a game with a nice character, I may replay it with an evil one if it seems rewarding. Sometimes I replay it with a different character type.

Somehow I always catch myself complaining about games where choices made early in the game can be overturned at the last second, but on the other hand these games spare me a tedious replay (provided getting this far WAS tedious, of course).

I tend to be a pretty anal completist, and like JemyM I will read a walkthru to make sure I haven't missed something--but only the parts I'm playing--reading a whole walk-thru to the end while in the early part of a game is like reading the last page of a murder mystery to find out whodunnit, or spying on your parents while they wrap your Christmas presents. Takes the fun out of it. :)

I seldom replay most crpgs--just my personal faves like IWD or M&M series. I always tell myself I will replay the game following the evil path, but when I try I just can't do the evil stuff--I pretty much have to be saving the world, or I lose interest. So I replay it almost the identical way I originally played. Nonetheless, I always seem to find a few corners I've overlooked (or possibly forgotten. ;) )

Replaying other genres I do all the time--I replay my tb strat games and hacknslashers because they are a process, not a destination.

i try to avoid walkthroughs if possible myself and only use them sparingly and not as an accompiment to my 'completist' demeanour. arx fatalis still holds as the only game i've ever used a walkthrough and still not finished! i love taking as long as possible to go through a game the first time because even if a game has morality choices, and other branches that can only be seen in a replay chances are i will never get to replay the game. though i do replay great games on occasion i often end up playing more or less the same 'role' as the first time unless the games offer more exclusiveness like the factions in gothic 2 (and someday 3 a third time) or games like blade of darkness where there are unique levels and highly unique characters to play (never did finish the amazon though).
strategy games/city building games i almost never replay but are where i eat up lots of 'unecessary' time though as not only do i explore everything, i take the long defensive approach that allows more city building, exhausting all known resources like a good eco terrorist and only spending time in combat in the waning hour with an almost 'blitzkreig' approach.
ultimately games that have to much everything to do toy demonicly with the completist in me and end up making me never want to play the game after i've finished the game but still not seen everything and despite the fun i've had i seal up the game and launch it into space, out of my game playing domain see any 'total war' game or oblivion or even world of warcraft(3 months of time i'll never get back).

I tend to replay games I like and quit games I don't. I'd say I'm more of a perfectionist than a completist. If it's a fun game, I know I'll play it again, so I don't mind missing out on certain things the first time through.

Back
Top Bottom