Grimoire Forever

Check out our Picture database. If there are none there, then I know we had quite a few back at the Dot. I can always have my collection uploaded!! If you enjoy Wiz 7 & 8, or M&M 3-5, EOB, or LOL, then you'll enjoy Grimoire as well!! Come on Cleve, talk to us here.

There are animations though very simple with each encounter, similar to what was found in Wiz 7&8. The Turtle is actually not an enemy, but a necessary form of transport in a certain watery dungeon. The first time I played the game, I swam (which is VERY time consuming) almost the entire dungeon before discovering the Turtle very near where I entered. There's no little arrow pointing to key things in this game!! :)

Those screens are what got me interested in this game back in the ages before time began. I think I was still waiting on Devil Whiskey, somewhat less jaded (I guess my marriage helped me there; now I believe no one), and excited to see a game that looked to be what I myself was designing then, minus tactical combat.

I'll buy it if it comes out, because it intrigues me greatly still. But I have no faith in humanity left, and don't believe this game will ever come out. It'll join the original Bard's Tale IV in obscurity.

I just wanted to update some people on the status of Grimoire. I know a lot of you are eagerly awaiting this game. Surveying the internet, there seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around due to unauthorized "betas" that have been circulated as hoaxes. It's a shame that these betas have mislead otherwise well-meaning people, and so I wanted to make sure you all had the latest information based on the actual state of development.

Title: Grimoire
Author: Cleve Blakemore
Playable: No
Beta available: No
Esimated release date: Never.

Please don't be fooled by those who have "played" the "beta" and weren't savvy enough to realize they had been trolled by some FLT couriers pretending to be Cleve. Remember, the Grimoire that can be released is not the true Grimoire. I look forward to being at Cleve's non-release party when the game isn't released later this year. Please make sure to keep checking Cleve's website in case it isn't released today.

Grimoire is going to be so awesome when it doesn't come out!

*sigh*

You went thru registration to post that?

Well, I had to grin when reading it. The poster has a point... threads like these must be a bit of a mockery for anyone who has ever shown any interest in that game.

Perhaps, but since I know I've played it twice, it sort of makes his post totally redundant, doesn't it!!

Perhaps, but since I know I've played it twice, it sort of makes his post totally redundant, doesn't it!!

As I said: the Grimoire that can be played is not the true Grimoire. I'm sure that you think you've played it. But if you've played it, by definition, that wasn't Grimoire.

I don't know what Peter's obsession with Grimoire is about. He writes a pretty good blog (though I rarely agree with it) that we've linked to a couple of times but every now and then decides to troll us about Grimoire. *shrug*

Perhaps he'd like us to send him a copy of the beta!! :)

See, I would only classify as "trolling" any posts that hold out the possibility that Grimoire will ever exist in any real sense. I've made a grand total of 4 posts about Grimoire in, I think, as many years. If that qualifies me as "obsessed" I have to wonder how you'd classify yourself.

Real artists ship. It's as simple as that. Games that don't ship aren't games -- even if there's a tech demo or two made with the same name. Grimoire as a real software product is at best a fever dream, and at worst an elaborate hoax.

One might also say the same about Cleve as an actual person.

I couldn't care less about Grimoire one way or the other, so "ambivalent" is the word that I would use. If "obsessed" is incorrect, enlighten why you've posted here and at RPGDot over the years on this one subject...I know you've got worthwhile things to say on other topics, so why come here only to make some point about Grimoire?

Not really, I think it pretty much shows how a lot of people (including myself... though I'm beyond that stage now - I simply don't care anymore) feel about the game. It has become some kind of digital ghost that some people claim to have seen, but most people doubt that it really exists. That you played the game is really great for you, but of what help is that to other people? If I look at Grimoire's long history then I just cannot help to think that it is pretty pathetic.

The original '98 beta of demo area of the game was published on filesharing sites just a few months ago. Check RPGcodex. Anyone could (and possibly still can unless it was taken down) download and play it. It might not be a final game (by far), but it certainly does exist. I personally had a blast replaying this version.

That you played the game is really great for you, but of what help is that to other people?
From a first-hand experience standpoint, it's no good to you at all. OTOH, unless you think corwin and I (and a couple dozen others) are part of a grand conspiracy, our commentary should serve to debunk the "doesn't exist" silliness that pops up from time to time.

From a first-hand experience standpoint, it's no good to you at all. OTOH, unless you think corwin and I (and a couple dozen others) are part of a grand conspiracy, our commentary should serve to debunk the "doesn't exist" silliness that pops up from time to time.

Guys, honestly now... it's pretty obvious that peterb was making fun of the fact that you can get the impression that the game does not really exist. It's exactely what I was aiming at. I guess no one here really thinks that the game does not exist AT ALL. As I said it's like a digital ghost... who knows if it will ever take on a solid form? I believe you that there is a demo, but I don't believe that the game will be released at some point. It's a bit like Duke Nukem, everyone knows there must be something, but wether that something will ever be released is a totally different question. The "doesn't exist" silliness is just the counterpart of the silliness of a game that is never released.

Back
Top Bottom