2014 FIFA World Cup

worst defeat in history for Brazil so far, previously was 6-0 in 1920.

You can wonder if this would have been much different had Brazil played with his regular players.

Highly unlikely. The way Germany is playing, having Neymar and Thiago Silva wouldn't have mattered for Brazil. Silva is said to be Brazil's best defender though so I doubt Germany would have 6 goals if he was playing. *Edit* Now they have 7!

I'll say 4-1 Germany if Neymar and Silva were playing. It would still be a beatdown. :)

Well, I really don't want Germany to win it all, so I shall begin my "MESSI!" chanting now for tomorrow's match.

I'll be rooting for the Netherlands tomorrow.

A Germany - Netherlands matchup would be historic. No European team has ever won a World Cup on an American continent.

Would be great for Holland to beat Argentina then Germany. Some revenge from the 1970's. They already blasted Spain for their other finals defeat. Holland 2014 the year for REVENGE :)

I'm speechless! Can't go to sleep, I'm so worked up!

Can't sleep too -> too many Hefe Weizen...

I liked how the germans played after 5:0/game over. I was pretty angry about the Brazilian goal! and how Özil failed.. what's wrong with that guy?
All that Brazilian whining, all that being centered around one player, that's at least weird. For Germany, that was just a testing game against an incredibly weak team, it's not saying much. I hope Germany will play against Netherlands, and it will be a difficult match for sure. And if there wasn't Robben, I would have liked the idea of Netherlands to be World Champion :)

After Brazil lost Neymar, I was all the time thinking -> Brazil = Denethor of LOTR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zc-gh-3TkR0#t=101

Well well well... Now *that* was quite the game. I don't think anyone expected the Brazilians to just fall apart like that.

That being said though, Germany was truly awe-inspiring. I don't think I closed my mouth first half, I just stared at the screen gaping. Incredible. They've gained a fan.

Brasil will remember this for many decades. Hoping for Holland to win tonight.

I've started to feel really sorry for Brazil when they showed the cyring boy and other sad Brazilian guys after Germany's 4th goal. It was perhaps their one and only chance to view the seleção and they most likely paid a lot of bucks for the tickets. And then this destruction… not nice.

I think the main reason for this huge defeat was the mental pressure the Brazilian squad had to carry around for the last weeks. For the Brazilian people football is very important, the country isn't in a good condition and the football team was meant to bring relief by winning the trophy (and only by winning the trophy). Opium of the people. That this pressure was too much you could see when the players cried after the wins against Chile and Columbia. There the pressure was taken away for a short period of time, they let it out, but it quickly built up before the next game.

In yesterdays game after the 1st and especially the 2nd goal they just broke mentally. They realized that they won't be able to beat Germany, won't be able to go to the finals and won't get the trophy.

I think if this world cup would have taken place in another country where the pressure on the Brazilian squad wasn't that high, there would have been a more moderate result.

Anyway… as a German I'm of course thrilled by this win. Great performance, brilliant demonstration of skill and teamwork.

To think a game about kicking a ball around can become so vital to so many people.

I'm hoping the combined impact is a positive one, though I'm far from convinced of that.

To think a game about kicking a ball around can become so vital to so many people.
Yeah, that's quite the problem. As I said, it opium and that has never been a good thing. It's distracting distract from the actual important things. Especially in countries where so much things need to be improved so much, that distraction is dangerous.
I'm hoping the combined impact is a positive one, though I'm far from convinced of that.
In case of Brazil, I think it is not. The world cup cost the tax payer billions of dollars. Mostly for infrastructure (like stadiums) that will hardly be used in the future.

I actually really like the game itself and I've enjoyed playing it in the past, but I've never understood the fascination with watching strangers play it. Then again, that's how I feel about sports in general.

I'm happy other people are enjoying it, though, I just don't think it's healthy when a game becomes about money and national pride. I especially don't think it's healthy to obsess about what strangers do to such a degree that you become angry or even violent.

In such cases, I think you need to examine why what other people do has become so important to you - and if that's really what you want to focus on in your life.

Oh well, to each his own :)

I actually really like the game itself and I've enjoyed playing it in the past, but I've never understood the fascination with watching strangers play it.
That's exactly the thing. If you follow a team for years, the players don't seem to be strangers anymore. You read of them, see them in TV and stuff. So you get the illusion of being close to them (despite the fact that they don't know you). So then, if they aren't strangers anymore, it's a thing of empathy. When they're win, they are happy, so you are happy. When they lose, they are sad, so you are sad. That gets reinforced when you have fellow supportes going to or watching games with you. If your team wins, your buddies get happy, so you get. Then somewhen perhaps empathy isn't even necessary anymore because your brain makes a connection between your team winning and being happy.

In Germany especially since the home world cup in 2006 you have another thing going on. People just follow the games in masses, watching it together (which is called "public viewing" here) with the purpose of having a party during and afterwards. Someone called it "partyotism". It's about supporting your country and partying. It's about being in a community that has a common goal, winning together, losing together, giving the guys a feeling of strength. Imho it's not about the sports, not about football. If it were for the sports, they could watch it in their living rooms without guys in front of them covering the screen, without getting poured beer all over, without having difficulties to hear and understand the commentator.

Btw. I've watched all the games at home, some with 2-3 additional guys, always getting angry looks from my wife when cheering too loud and fearing I'd wake our son. ;)

That's exactly the thing. If you follow a team for years, the players don't seem to be strangers anymore. You read of them, see them in TV and stuff. So you get the illusion of being close to them (despite the fact that they don't know you). So then, if they aren't strangers anymore, it's a thing of empathy. When they're win, they are happy, so you are happy. When they lose, they are sad, so you are sad. That gets reinforced when you have fellow supportes going to or watching games with you. If your team wins, your buddies get happy, so you get. Then somewhen perhaps empathy isn't even necessary anymore because your brain makes a connection between your team winning and being happy.

In Germany especially since the home world cup in 2006 you have another thing going on. People just follow the games in masses, watching it together (which is called "public viewing" here) with the purpose of having a party during and afterwards. Someone called it "partyotism". It's about supporting your country and partying. It's about being in a community that has a common goal, winning together, losing together, giving the guys a feeling of strength. Imho it's not about the sports, not about football. If it were for the sports, they could watch it in their living rooms without guys in front of them covering the screen, without getting poured beer all over, without having difficulties to hear and understand the commentator.

Btw. I've watched all the games at home, some with 2-3 additional guys, always getting angry looks from my wife when cheering too loud and fearing I'd wake our son. ;)

They might not seem like strangers, but they ARE strangers :)

Maybe it's a lack of empathy, I don't know. I simply can't invest that much in a little game played by other people.

Then again, I've never seen winning a game as particularly special. It has no bearing on reality outside this little human construct and it will help no one and won't make a dent of difference in any way that can be considered important to the human race.

But that's just how I see it.

Again, I'm glad so many people are having fun watching this kind of thing. Just as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

Also, I despise patriotism and the division of nations. I consider every human being in the world valuable and I don't understand or appreciate when we consider one more interesting or worthwhile than the other.

To look at a group of human beings as something special because they happen to win at a game they've trained so much for and which is SO full of random circumstance, is something I will never agree with - and I don't see the impressive part about being good at something you've spent most of your life doing. NOT being good at it would be the impressive part, to me.

Balance. If you feel a bit bad when they lose that's okay. But crying...

The same for people that cry when their dog die and give him a funeral. Some go too far

I used to take sports watching WAY too seriously. In college I was one of those idiots that painted their face and chest for football games (with a group of about 50 fellow idiots). I had a blast, but man the sacrifices I made in school just to go to games and the way I let it affect me when we won/loss was really overboard.

It finally changed a few years after I graduated. I went out to California to see Texas (my team) play Stanford. Took a girl I was dating and we made an extended weekend out of it, first going to San Fran, then going out to Napa Valley after the game.

Well we lost. The play calling on offense was horrible. We should have destroyed Stanford, we were more talented, by far at ever position. I was livid. Shaking mad.

The girl I was with (who had gone to a different school), just looked at me and said "I know you're upset, but don't let this ruin our trip please." It all changed there. I realized "F this, I'm out on an awesome trip, I'm not going to let a bunch of over paid coaches and over babied 18 year olds ruin my free time."

I still love my Longhorns, but when the game is done, so is my emotional investment in it (for the most part).

Balance. If you feel a bit bad when they lose that's okay. But crying…

The same for people that cry when their dog die and give him a funeral. Some go too far

Sorry, but my dog is a better person than most people. I'll bawl like a little girl the day Annabelle passes and I'll give her a proper send off by spreading her ashes in her favorite park.

Sorry, but my dog is a better person than most people. I'll bawl like a little girl the day Annabelle passes and I'll give her a proper send off by spreading her ashes in her favorite park.

When Buster dies I will be incredibly sad. Have spent more time with my dog in the last 12 years then any human on the planet. He is much better company then any person I have ever met in my life and I am 44. Sorry, but if I had a choice between a human life and my dogs life guess who would be gone. The worlds over populated as it is.

Hehe sorry this is a soccer thread :)

Back
Top Bottom