38 Studios - In Financial Trouble?

Wow agreed that its surprising with all the hype that this did not sell more. I bought it but didn't care for it much.

I would have bought this game but after playing the demo (PC) I just really hated how close the camera is to your toon's head and no ability to zoom in or out or control the camera - it just bothered me too much.

One of the developers started a thread on the KoA forums that, early on, gave me some hope they might fix the camera but the developer stopped participating in the thread many weeks ago.

I feel bad for a new company and they did seem enthusiastic. But while I enjoyed it I haven't finished it - to many other games I like better.

For me the overall level of restriction in the game (limited to very strict paths, no jumping/swimming unless hard-coded in, lack of good camera control) is what did it in for me.

I loved the theme, art, classes, quests and even the combat (even if over the top). But the restrictions, and the respawning repetitive mobs, just sapped a lot of my desire.

Another game I removed that I may finish some day ... although thinking there will never be a sequal or future updates somewhat diminishes that likely hood.

I suppose the demo they released may have had the effect opposite of what they intended; I do remember bugs and other problems with the demo not being reflective of the actual game at launch.

Playing the demo insured I would never pay money for the real thing. They set their sights far to high for a first effort.

Looks like one of the "Visionaries" is smelling up the joint :) Too bad Schilling, Salvatore, MacFarlane and Rolston don't have to pay the $75 million out of pocket. Their lack of vision is gonna cost poor, little Rhode Island. Of course, RI was the one that lured them from Massachussets in the first place.

So, the loan has already been made and was used to lure the studio to Rhode Island. Now, the state is in just as deep as the company, and their $75+million are sinking with them. Apparently, the state has to double down on their original loan for any hope of getting their original investment back.

Sounds like the governor agrees with me. It was a stupid and risky loan to make in the first place, and Rhode Island is now getting burned. And this wasn't 20/20 hindsight on my part. Reading the news blub here — and perhaps I misread it — I thought they were just considering making the original $75-million loan. Maybe keeping 38 Studios afloat does make sense now; we don't know enough details to be sure. Rhode Island's in deep now. The original loan was a piss-poor idea, and the voters ought to be pissed.

Whoever voted for the original loan only have themselves to blame. Might as well take the taxpayers' money to Vegas. You'd have better better odds at the craps table, betting on the pass line.

I found the demo to be fun, the combat to be challenging, the lore to be interesting, and best of all of: the story weaved it all together for me. The quests were many and interesting and not just fetch quest; they could start out this way but soon evolved into something else.

I'm buying a full game....

Back
Top Bottom