Afterfall: Faq, Features, Tech Demo on the way

Mr. H

Watcher
http://afterfall.pl/index/en/25

I really don't know how you could not be looking forward to this game, and it looks like the last news about it here is from January, so I thought I would describe why it looks awesome.

As of a few weeks ago, the have had a nice features summary list up, with some great stuff mentioned:

Afterfall (AF) is an innovative cRPG game, set in a post-apocalyptic scenario. Here is what you can expect:

•Create and develop a character, using possibilities not available in gaming up to now.
•An involving non-linear and plot-turn-rich story, where each choice will bear consequences.
•Hundreds of tasks to complete and a dozen of factions to join.
•A dynamic turn-based combat system (including the use of vehicles). [Mr. H: apparently there is also a Baldur's Gate like RTwP option, but it seems optimized for TB]
•Optional tactical and stealth action game elements.
•A system of random mutations, cybernetic implants and prosthetics.
•Graphics of superior quality and realistic physics, possible thanks to the Unigine® Engine.
•About 200 models of weapons and more than a thousand items, with an option to create and modify some of them.
•A large part of post-nuclear Europe to visit, inhabited by over 50 species of creatures and hundreds of NPCs leading their own lives.

As of a little more than a month ago, they have had a pretty extensive FAQ as well, where people ask all the important questions like:

8. Any women in the team right now?
There used to be women in the team, but they are gone now.

9. Any regrets?
That we do not have women in the team anymore.

10. And you do not regret…?
That there used to be women in the team.

and

9. Can our character have sex? Will it be visualized?
Yes, but it will only be described in the dialog box.

There is also some more interesting features:

12. Will there be a language system? How will it work? Will it be required to learn a tribal/city language in order to communicate with different groups?

Languages will be expanded in Afterfall2 and even then it should all be rather simplified. This shall be achieved by introducing restrictions to some dialogue options, and producing texts on different levels of understanding. For example, an NPC says to the PC in an unknown language something like: “Stefan is a local bandit, better watch out for him”. This will not be fully understood by a PC with low language skills, so the player will see a text like: “This blue-eyed man is speaking of some Stefan. You can understand the word ‘bandit’. He looks a tad bit nervous.”

Afterfall 2? Language systems are totally my bag though. Sounds like some Starflight influence there (never played it, but someone gave me the general idea). I have no idea why Bethesda got rid of Languages from TES when they could have done something like that.

The most interesting info can be found on the game mechanics page, however. There are some great descriptions of combat systems, travel and the world map (brings RoA to mind), and the rumors system, among other things.

Also, apparently there is a tech demo nigh:

Afterfall website said:
The tech-demo is nigh.

All in all, this is one of my most awaited games. Very ambitious, and seems to have some great ideas. My main criticism so far is the name, which sounds like just about every post apocalyptic rpg ever made, but that’s okay. Probably better then Bourgeoisie, the original name. I also wish they gave a few more details on dialogue, but I’ll live. I guess I have fallen for the hype.

the game mechanics page said:
You have just read words heralding an upcoming revolution.

”Somewhere else” said:
We herald a new wave, a wave that will come crushing down like a tornado, changing the virtual reality forever.

They are obviously pretty enthusiastic about what they are doing as well. I look forward to the in-game use of adjectives.

Wow. I had heard the name Afterfall somewhere but didn't really pay much attention to it, but if these rather enthusiastic claims come through, it's looking like a darned good game.
Turn-based, lots of character options, vehicles.. Looking forward to this!

I do remember hearing about this - especially after seeing the web site. I hope that by 'tech demo' they mean playable. I would love to get a taste of this.

What's needed, is for these guys to occasionally send us some notification of what's happening. We're always willing to post the information if we have it, but obviously, none of us have been following this game enough to keep ourselves updated. To be honest, I'd forgotten all about it!!

Back
Top Bottom