AM5 motherboard tips

SveNitoR

SasqWatch
Hi everyone!

I want to build a new computer, and I'm looking to build with AM5, since they allow CPU upgrades for probably 2025 as well. I still haven't decided if I want to wait for the upcoming CPUs, but probably not, since it is uncertain when they release.

Therefore I am looking for motherboards, and want to hear your opinions. I don't have a specific price range in mind, except not the >$1000 boards, since they are way too powerful for my needs. Most brands are OK.

The features I want are:
- ATX (possibly E-ATX, but ATX can be moved to my HTPC case when next I upgrade in 5-10 years....).
- Preferably at least 2.5Gb Ethernet.
- At least one 16x PCIe 5.0 for graphics. This means X670E or B650E motherboards.
- At least two SATA connections.
- Preferably quite a few PWM fan connectors, but there's always splitters if there's not enough.
- Likely upgradable to the coming CPUs.

The system will be used primarily for gaming, but also Handbrake for transcoding my movie and TV-series collection. My daughter also wants to record and edit music and make movies, but how much she will actually do this remains to be seen.

I'm not going to overclock apart from the Expo thing AMD has and maybe PBO, but PBO seems like it moves the CPUs away from their sweet spot too much. So it doesn't have to be the "super bestest 500 phases top of the line VRM mega magic".

I'm going to look around a bit later today and in the coming weeks and post links to mboards and ask what my computer nerd friends here think about them. :)

Feel free to give your own recommendations, and even ignore my required specs if you know of a good way to get around limitations with plug in cards and what not.

I've got the MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk WIFI in the rig I recently built. I'm very happy with it. It meets or exceeds all your prerequisites, and I think it was around $300

I'm not sure if it's available in your region, but, if it is, you should take a look at it.

I use an Asus Rog Strix B650E-F. But unless I'm missing something, I think literally every ATX B650E or X670E board on the market would fit your listed requirements.

I'd be looking for a board with an Intel ethernet chip rather than the garbage brands (eg Realtek, Marvell). That often ends up being my first filter, though if you never intend to use any non-Windows OS'es it isn't as important.

Also, with DDR5 make sure you get all the memory you need in 2 sticks, don't try to use 4 sticks.

Last edited:
I only build with ASUS TUF motherboards. Not to say they're the best, but I've never had an issue with them and they're affordable. The components are more durable "military grade", and heat qualities are decent. There are better mobos if you want to squeeze every ounce of performance from your system, but there are tradeoffs in doing so.

The ASUS TUF "Pro" series mobos have all of the things you're looking for, with a few extras. They are not flashy, so if you want mini Vegas in your PC case, look elsewhere.

This is mine -

This is mine -
Needs to be a B650E to have PCIe 5.0.

Have a look at this

I've got the MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk WIFI in the rig I recently built. I'm very happy with it. It meets or exceeds all your prerequisites, and I think it was around $300

I'm not sure if it's available in your region, but, if it is, you should take a look at it.

Yeah, I've been perusing Pcpartpicker and this is one of my first choices. Thanks!

I use an Asus Rog Strix B650E-F. But unless I'm missing something, I think literally every ATX B650E or X670E board on the market would fit your listed requirements.

I'd be looking for a board with an Intel ethernet chip rather than the garbage brands (eg Realtek, Marvell). That often ends up being my first filter, though if you never intend to use any non-Windows OS'es it isn't as important.

Also, with DDR5 make sure you get all the memory you need in 2 sticks, don't try to use 4 sticks.
Some only have 1Gb/s ethernet and some only have 2x8 PCIE 5.0. But, yeah most B650E and X670E seem to work.

BTW, I prefer if the MB has 4 PCIE slots. I've got an internal PCIE audio card I use in my current build and also would like to have the option to install a 10GB ethernet card or powerful wifi. Or both...

Last edited:
Have a look at this

That's a great list. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom