Anime Discussion Thread

Hmm. While I did not say Drifters is bad,still for me it is an Anime that if forgettable and not essential to watch or a mustwatch. I recommend it to people who like pure action Animes.
Action is very well done. Quick and sharp,where you can "feel"the impact of some moves and attacks. And with all that the viewer has a clean and full view of what is going on(can follow the action). The camera does not jump all over the place.
Unlike in Berserk 2016(crazy overly used spins,zoom-in's and what not).

Drifters animation instantly reminded me of cutscene The Witcher 2/3 story animations done in Flash.

While the idea of Drifters is good,using historical characters is repulsive for me.
Also the the two fighting forces are represented well as a archetypes,as in black/white,dark/light,good/evil aspects that are used over many decades.

My first cousin and joxer are alike in Anime tastes. Usually what I like he dislikes.
And he actually likes pure Action/Horror and some Ecchi/Comedy style Animes.
Although, there are some that we both like. :)

As for,Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso...I totally adore it. Such a lovely Anime. One of the very best I have seen. Ohh man...
And if you like that kind of Anime I recommend Nodame Cantabile(all 3 seasons).
Nice and easy going drama/romance story,but more humorous than Your Lie.
Packed with classical music. A little gem that one. :)
Or have you seen it? :)
Also try maybe, AnoHana and Clannad...they take you on a emotional roller coaster ride,similar like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

I haven't seen Nodame Cantabile. I'm adding that to my "backlog". Thanks Black Rune.

Hope you get to watch it,and like it. IMO it's pretty good.

Having the time to watch isn't really a problem. It's not like there is a lots of stuff this Winter that looks interesting so I got "free anime watching time". I'm currently catching up on stuff I might have missed.

Although, I just saw some announcement about more Fafner and I'm kinda hyped for that right now…but it won't be out until like end of the year or next year. *sigh*

Really not much for Winter. 3-4 I'm interested in.
But, I have a backlog of, around 7-8 Animes.
In addition 4 Animes from this video. :)

Wait, they're saying most of awards went to Yuri on Ice? Hell I'm postponing that one for ages now.
Stopped watching the vid in half, but non Yuri on Ice wins, the first award, Ren, absolutely deserved it, Erased too. IMO.

*sigh* Okay, I'll try to complete it tomorrow… My plans to play LoL some more are ruined!

Finished watching Yuri on Ice.

Ages ago when god still walked on Earth, at one point I caught myself in front of TV watching winter Olympics. I wasn't interested in it much, but when you don't have nothing better to do…
And then, out of nowhere, I saw magic on TV. Figure skating pair caused me one of rare jawdrops in my (perhaps too long now) life.
Sorry for bad camera, back then it couldn't be better (it's the same performance from different angles), please watch at least one before proceeding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zbbN4OL98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-0BCSyWtc

What happened? I got The Witcher 3 effect - every next skater or skating pair looked pale and bland compared to this romance thriller! And I just stopped watching ice skating. Completely. Anywhere.

Lemme add I've never seen animated figure skating before although this is not the first attempt on it. And hell if I didn't feel the magic back in Yuri on Ice!
Nice opening, nice animation, a bit of comedy, a bit of drama, a bit of thriller and a bit of horror… Looked promising after I watched first pair of episodes and I wrote in this thread this anime could be great. Waited too long to watch it whole I think.

The story is easy to summarize, some skater named Yuri wants to pwn everyone else, has everything necessary (means talent plus hard work) but lacks of courage and doubts himself. Series progress in Dragonball style, each episode another "match". The difference? Unlike drag-o(n)-rama-ball I didn't get bored nor yawn in Yuri on Ice anywhere!

Animations are great at first, later you will notice some low quality scenes and some repeated moments (there is one highly irritating audience scene with a runner waving canadian flag that repeats several times), but for TV series generally it's still above average.
The music used is perfect for the show and by that I don't mean just opening and ending but also those used with different coreography.
That'd be the style. What about substance you'll ask since there are many visual candy anime without substance?

The show is so gay you won't believe it. I mean, you will. Just get prepared to see something you haven't seen before (at least I didn't). There is no way you'll just ignore it, you'll either eagerly want to see what happens next or you'll hate this show's guts. Bioware should learn something about romance writing from Yuri on Ice.

Enough about romance or I'll spoil it, now about drama and thriller. Character analysis is amazing, the show no matter how short gave enough time for each person's inner universe without going into annoyance. Every contendant has their own skills and fears that are shown either on ice or elsewhere and there is no way you won't recognize exactly something you saw on yourself or on someone near you. At a certain point (episode 10) all masks will drop and you'll see there is a specific reason everything worked the way it did. Do not miss the ending photos in that episode!

While competition brings out thrills, outside of it the author didn't forget to point at modern horror. Yuri (japanese skater as there is another in series with the same name) often wears medical breathing mask. Yea, this is the first anime I saw someone dared to point we're at the stage where we're seeing "faceless" people on the street because we couldn't stop with the pollution.

It's not all perfect, for example I wanted to see more "skating otaku triplets" but it's forgivable because the show is very short. Dog choked part is deliberate bad old RPG design removal of a sidekick just for the sakes to not have them in the party for a while and to show a "heartwarming" (predictable) reunion scene later. Meh. ;)

The opening score is titled History maker, while I don't think series made any history, it's debatable as you might think different. Not saying it couldn't with the next season!

Love it or hate it afterwards, this anime is a must watch. This pic I found on some Yuri on Ice comments fits the show perfectly:
877855dd5512aeda2c009b04b7e19f816f8f2715827136d9adc74c2f96d4cb9f.gif
So drop whatever you're watching currently and visit Crunchyroll!
http://www.crunchyroll.com/yuri-on-ice

Hopefully I didn't spoil anything. After you're done with this anime, NOT before…
Actual skaters went crazy about this anime, started to cosplay it, both males and females, didn't stop at that but youtube is full of coreographies from series. For example chinese ice skater Patton Chen recorded Eros performance:

O_O

And yesterday, three times US champion ice skater promised something too:
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/823974681875193856

Last edited:
The show is so gay you won't believe it. I mean, you will. Just get prepared to see something you haven't seen before (at least I didn't).

Was that your first BL (Boy Love aka yaoi) anime?

The funniest part of Yuri on Ice is that with a title like that I tough it was a lesbian show at first personally (aka yuri). Doesn't work in Japanese though, just the English title.

Last edited:
Looked promising after I watched first pair of episodes and I wrote in this thread this anime could be great.
And this why I will never forgive you,or myself for believing that this show could be good. But,mostly, I am the one to blame. I should have known better.

With that rant out of the way…

Yuri On Ice begins as an interesting anime. But,after the first episode it goes down hill from there.
Now,I don't like figure skating,that is true. So maybe that's why I disliked the show? Well,that is one good reason.
I'll cut to the chase…this BL formula is just not for my eyes to see.

The humor is not really good either. It feels forced,and just tasteless,they should have added a bit more salt. So,not a comedy.

Not much drama either,only crying a lot. I don't connect that to together.
So,not really a drama.

Not much thrill in it…so,not a thriller.

It has some romance in it. Blushing and embraced looks. A kind of a more than friends relationship between trainer and student. Romance,perhaps.

Guess it can go as a horror,since,you know,the BL part and all. Horror,close but not really.

Story is,I guess good for what this show is. Train hard,work hard,win.

Character development is something that I like in the show. Nice touch.

Animation is nice,but nothing special. I mean I saw 10x better animations.
Still,good animation and art style. A bit minimalistic(in some scenes and cuts),still it is nice. No problem there.

The music,nothing special. The piano piece for the Yuri is good. And the JJ song. :)

This anime is not bad by the way. I must add this.
This is my own opinion,obviously. And just shared my thoughts.

And,I would not recommend it to no one.
Simply said,not a must watch before you die.
There are hundreds of better shows out there,that is for sure.
Yuri was hyped beyond the roof. That is all.

Well,I tried. But in the future no shows like this for me,that is for sure.
Surprised a bit that Joxer likes it that much. Although,he might be trolling and blowing it out of proportions.
Oh well, apples and oranges.

Meanwhile, I am watching Stray Dogs season 2. Great anime,jump on that one if you like mafia themed shows,packed with super powers.
Finished Ajin 2,and it is really good. Sato is the perfect villain. I like the show because of that character.

Was that your first BL (Boy Love aka yaoi) anime?
Yuri on ice is hardly yaoi, if nothing it's not rapey.

Well,I tried. But in the future no shows like this for me,that is for sure.
Surprised a bit that Joxer likes it that much. Although,he might be trolling and blowing it out of proportions.
Oh well, apples and oranges.

Meanwhile, I am watching Stray Dogs season 2. Great anime,jump on that one if you like mafia themed shows,packed with super powers.
Finished Ajin 2,and it is really good. Sato is the perfect villain. I like the show because of that character.
No trolling. ;)
I like what they did with the show and I wrote in the post, you'll either love it or hate it. There is no middleground with this one and exactly that is the reason everyone should watch it so we can spit on each other taste. ;)
Well not we here on the forum, but it'd be a great arguing topic with friends on some coffee. I need to find a victim friend. :evilgrin:

Already posted that BSD season 1 was boring to me so I didn't continue. Sorry.

And I think I mentioned that Ajin is my #1 show of the last year. The reason is not just the best villain but different perspective on humanity abuse of superpowers (society presented as dirty and rotten moneychasing trash), critics on on both democracy where 2 peasants downvote 1 smart person and on autocracy where a lunatic makes own wishes come true just by being charismatic. And numerous tiny details carefully hidden around the place.
But since anime was so good, I bet manga is even better. Still didn't receive an answer from a certain publisher here if they'll get rights for translation - that publisher makes integrals with hardcovers. Maybe I should post on comics forum where their director lurks and not wait for a mail… Otherwise I'll have to buy Ajin manga on Amazon or Archonia, and as most manga there it's in pathetic paperback format.

Is anyone here interested in Akira manga? The masterpiece movie covered about only first half of it. I'm buying the 35th anniversary edition as soon as it's released, with these stuff I don't care about the price as I have enough $ for it (not buying horse armor saves me tons and tons of cash):
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...t-for-akira-manga-vinland-saga-book-8/.100858

Last edited:
I'm in a Space Opera mood currently: Reading a Culture novel, playing Stellaris (as the Culture ;)) and watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which I haven't seen before. Like it a lot so far (only 4 episodes in).

Somehow there don't seem to be as many space opera animes out there as I had hoped. Not new ones, anyway ...

Somehow there don't seem to be as many space opera animes out there as I had hoped. Not new ones, anyway …

Nothing the size of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but there was Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (a remake of an anime from 1974, known as Star Blazers in the US) in 2013 and a sequel to it is coming this year.

The 2007 and 2016 Macross series (Final Frontier and Delta) are space opera. Most of the recent Gundams are kinda space opera, just not fighting against aliens.

edit: I forgot Majestic Prince...I could I, it was awesome.

Sunrise did some original weird stuff a few years ago too, the name fail me right now.

Yeah, I forgot that too, the first season was good...second one not so much.

Yeah, I forgot that too, the first season was good…second one not so much.

ah I see. I have not see the second one yet but will get around to it soon since I really liked the first season.

As joxer posted, too much harem stuff in the second season. Well, if you like harem it might actually be entertaining, I preferred the space/combat/aliens stuff personally.

Hmm, I can't remember much harem stuff. I just remember the combat and the scientific experiments, as well as some real cold blooded murder

Of course, if you like ice figure skating, you must like harem stuff too

Back
Top Bottom