Anyone here played early Mafia(s)? Or Sleeping Dogs?

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch
Been thinking of getting something like this( after finishing Bioshock), open world, city non-GTA, but in similar vein?
Or earlier Saints Row...finished IV, was bored to hell and had crazy fun with it.
Had my eye on these for a while...anyone played these?

The first Mafia is pretty good, but unfortunately it's no longer sold digitally for some reason, so you'll either have to track down a boxed copy or use other means to acquire it.

I haven't played Mafia II or Sleeping Dogs despite owning both of them on Steam. I've heard a lot of good things about Sleeping Dogs, and the reviews are very positive.

Currently playing mafia 2. It's still early but the story seems solid. Combat and AI are not great but still feel adequate and fun. Atmosphere and setting are solid. Based on early impressions I'd recommend it especially if you can pick it up cheap.

I played about half of sleeping dogs. Good story, your a cop undercover in a gang. Gameplay is solid, there's some character progression broken down in to 3 skill trees, triad (gangs), cops and face (reputation). Doing quests for cops, gangs or civilians will get you Xp to spend in each tree. Didn't get far enough to see if it affects story.combat is batman style with some environmental interaction which is a plus for me but I thought I remember you posting you don't like it. ( unless I'm confusing you with someone else.) you can run off and do what ever or follow the story.

I was really enjoying sleeping dogs but got side tracked by rpg's. I'd still like to get back and finish it though. Both games have driving. Sleeping dogs allows you to seamlessly switch between controller and K&M. So I drive with the controller and play everything else with a K&M. Don't know if mafia 2 supports this because I don't currently have my controller hooked up.

Anyway both games can be had for cheap now and are worth the money imo. If these kind of game are your thing. If I had to choose I'd get sleeping dogs over mafia 2. Unless of course you don't like batman combat.

Yes, I played Sleeping Dogs, and loved it. It's an awesome game, if you like open world and story based games. I thought the story was great, and the ambience and atmosphere were superb, especially the depiction of the city of Hong Kong, just amazing. I have never been there, but the game makes it seem like the city it comes to life, and you really get a sense of the pulse of and flavor of this place.

The other reason I loved it is that it was made with influences from those Hong Kong action movies, that type of genre, such as the classic movies John Woo made, such as "The Killer", and "Hard Boiled". You play a character who is an undercover agent who is infiltrating a very dangerous mob and mafia-like gang, and the story has classic crime movie twists in it. If you liked any of those movies or in general, crime stories, then this game is one to get.

I never played any of the Mafia games, but was excited about Mafia 3, but I have read that it has a ton of problems (bugs) right now...maybe when it gets patched up in the future, I will give it another look.

Why non-GTA, if I may ask? Both San Andreas and Vice City are a load of silly fun. :)

GTA V is definitely worth a look, but if you want something over-the-top, like saints row with its banned in Australia dildo gun, maybe give Prototype a look. You can run up walls and glide around and the combat gameplay shits on GTA V. It's also old enough to pick up on sale super cheap.

I liked Sleeping Dogs, and there is a lot to be said for giving goons a good kungfu kicking. The GTA games are technically amazing, but there's something about that sleazy gangster tough-guy tone that doesn't do it for me. Red Dead Redemption, though, I thought was marvelous.

Sleeping Dogs was great, but short if you don't do all the extra bs. Good story and the martial arts fighting was a nice twist.

The Saint's Row series is a lot of fun. The first one was much more series and closer to a GTA clone, the progressively got weirder from there, but I've enjoyed most of them.

Hmm...I'll go with Sleeping Dogs then. Not many open world games set in China and kung-fu ass kicking at that. This could be fun...do you get Bruce-Lee style nunchaka's? :p
I don't have problem with freeflow, only with Batman....so damn irritating.

Back
Top Bottom