Arcania - Official Sys Reqs Updated

All of which has been done before and has thus shouldn't be such a resource drain.

Except it's pretty much been a ressource drain in every 3D game that has done it really.

-Sergorn

These systems specs make my computer cry. Guess I don't have a choice but to buy ArcaniA for my PS3. Don't have the money for a new computer, and I really want to play this game. Ah this is a real bummer, as I would prefer to play this game on my PC!

Crysis is not primitive compared to every RPG, it's bullshit.
It had huge open spaces, seamless loading and loads of enemies with great AI.
Crysis was just developed by much better programmers (some of the best out there). That's the whole point.
As a programmer myself i know what kind of logic is required for what and there is nothing CPU/GPU heavy (except for usually more complex enemy movement animation) that a standard RPG requires over Crysis.
So you know the advantages of pre-rendering lighting and having many fixed functions, verses the very much more flexible systems that are used for RPGs? Compare the number of environmental objects you can pick up in Crysis vs Oblivion. The goal driven AI scheduling and morale system. The day/night cycle and correspondingly dynamic shadowing system. The number of quest flags. The drop in/drop out modding system. I could go on.

Crysis is fantastic, but like all shooters, the pre-defined nature and lack of scope allow especially graphical systems to be optimised in a way that just can't happen for the kind of western RPGs we're talking about.

It was a marketing statement. JoWooD/DC got under pressure and said something to get the discussion under control. We'll see if it was the truth.
I liked the fact they got more open about their issues warning possible customers, but yeah they wanted to minimize the damage.
Still it's refreshing they actually took time.

So you know the advantages of pre-rendering lighting and having many fixed functions, verses the very much more flexible systems that are used for RPGs? Compare the number of environmental objects you can pick up in Crysis vs Oblivion. The goal driven AI scheduling and morale system. The day/night cycle and correspondingly dynamic shadowing system. The number of quest flags. The drop in/drop out modding system. I could go on.

Crysis is fantastic, but like all shooters, the pre-defined nature and lack of scope allow especially graphical systems to be optimised in a way that just can't happen for the kind of western RPGs we're talking about.
Good point about the pickable objects, the rest is not something to overwhelm the CPU at all (AI scheduling, morale, quest flags), it comes down to if()else{} clauses and doesn't need to be calculated a shitload of times per second and other things were used in Crysis (day night cycle).

So, some good points but the difference cannot be that huge. The programmer's competence is the determining factor.

I meet the recommened specs... barely. Which is to say I have an extremely top of the line rig and it astounded me that a game released just this year is calling for such a computer.

To be honest, there are other games out there that, under max settings, I cannot get a constant max framerate in. But those games don't have the gall to actually list this hardware as "recommended". It pretty much has me thinking the real actual hardware requirements for chug-free play are even higher. That or they have a 4 year old behind marketing.

Wow. The requirements are simply ridiculous. I mean the engine looks good from what I've seen but it certainly doesn't look like something that would require that.

That's a good point - Jowood deserve some credit for honesty here. Between an upfront statement and a demo (unless the demo is set on a tiny sub-island somewhere :) PC owners who might have a bad time are being forewarned. Didn't the G3 demo come out after the main game was released? That's kind of what I remember...

I liked the fact they got more open about their issues warning possible customers, but yeah they wanted to minimize the damage.
Still it's refreshing they actually took time.

Yes, the fact that they took the time is positive.

On the Games Com, Arcania looked like any other good-looking RPG. I didn't have the impression at all that some really weird specs would be needed.

The only thing I really didn't like much was the hands. They rather looked like little "branches" to me, not like natural hands at all. Or maybe I'm too much detail oriented. ;)

I think I also remember lack of AA. But I don't know for sure anymore.
Plus, of course these were only test builds, early.
Maybe I should have taken a look into the "options" menu. ;)

I don't know if you remember Gothic I hands, but they just cubes that could hold food,swords,...

If they used directX10/11 it would be specified for recommended specs. fact.

For Win XP players ?

Bet you loved Dragon Age then :p I'm not detail oriented, but, especially for the elves, I couldn't help staring…

:lol:

I don't know if you remember Gothic I hands, but they just cubes that could hold food,swords,…

Yes, I do. But THEN it was kind of "standard" at that time. Better graphics just weren't available in the sense that no-one actually did them.

Even mouth movement was relatively new at that time.

Also this looks as good as Crysis imo.. Crysis is quite old now, hell, even Morrowind with MGE resembles Crysis nowadays :p

Uhm. No. Crysis actually do look absolutely stunning. Even if Arcania have some features that uses features Crysis do not, vanilla Crysis 1 looks better than the screenshots/videos I have seen in Arcania and much better than Morrowind+MGE.

Then again, Crysis isn't an RPG. RPG-wise, Arcania is probably the most beautiful RPG I have ever seen, or maybe Two Worlds II is equal to it. Oblivion does look worse, even with the best mods installed.

The difference in Shadows, Pixel Shaders on surfaces and complexity in vegetation is obvious when you put them next to eachother.

Arcania
arcania.jpg

Two Worlds 2
2worlds2.jpg

Oblivion
lake.jpg

Morrowind MGE
morrowindmge.jpg

Crysis
crysis.jpg

Last edited:
Watched some videos @ World of Gothic and if these reqs are indeed correct, then the game is an unoptimized mess, plain and simple.
The game does look good, but certainly not exceptional and it also looks rather empty so it´s not like there are hundreds of complex scripts going on.
Till they admit the obvious optimization screwage, I don´t really see their damage minimizing statements as all that upfront.
Demo certainly deserves a credit though.

Morrowind
xPrpZ.jpg

6rOEW.jpg

quite close enough, imo

Last edited:
@DeepO
those screens are not that close in terms of details...
but that's the point, it's hard to tell until you fire it up and start playing and see it first hand. 13 days to go.

@JemyM
thanks for the screens, good stuff... 2 worlds 2 shot really looks like a promo material though so it's hard to compare it.

Yep, still is. It won't last of course, but G3 on max settings has already been the champ for years now, which is impressive.

Back
Top Bottom