Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition - Pre-orders & Release Date

I'm not sure, but did they change the GUI for BG2EE? It looks much cleaner than what I remember for BGEE. If so, I don't know why they didn't do this for the first game, too. It looks definitely better.

25 $ (or 25 €, as we know their usual conversion rate) for me looks too much.

I have mixed feelings about a Baldur's Gate 3. I think I'd rather see them do an original story if they can get the license for a new D&D game.

I'd also like to see EE versions of PS:T and IWD 1&2.
signed. Especially IWD with its expansion sets would be a perfect candidate for a single install re-release.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't go for an EE of the IWD/IWD2 games. The fact that there was no party interaction makes it less replayable, as does the generally linear and mostly combat-oriented nature of the games.

OTOH, there are several avenues that they could explore with a BG3, and I'd like to see how they do at developing an entirely new game. The audience interest in P:E, T:ToN, and Wasteland 2 may make it easier for these guys to obtain funding.

Did someone say "hefty pricetag" for this??? I think I paid much more for it in the 90's, and now you get even more content, and hopefully it will be more optimized for newer systems. For me, anyone that upgrades old great games and makes it so I don't have to install silly mods will always get my money....and in this case, it isn't expensive at all. On top of all that, they did an excellent job with the first game.

-Carn

The one big advantage in my mind is 'Mac compatible'. GoG version is PC only, so if you want a Mac version, this is the way to go.

BTW, I was wondering why they are showing some 3D models in this trailer. It really seems they found some of the original assets. That means this time they really can improve the maps.

Did someone say "hefty pricetag" for this??? I think I paid much more for it in the 90's, and now you get even more content, and hopefully it will be more optimized for newer systems. For me, anyone that upgrades old great games and makes it so I don't have to install silly mods will always get my money….and in this case, it isn't expensive at all. On top of all that, they did an excellent job with the first game.

I agree. The amount of enjoyment I've received from the BG games far exceeds the combined money I've spent on them over the years. I'll happily spend another $25 for an EE version of BG2.

Now if only Piranha Bytes would do the same with Gothic 1&2….

I agree. The amount of enjoyment I've received from the BG games far exceeds the combined money I've spent on them over the years. I'll happily spend another $25 for an EE version of BG2.

Now if only Piranha Bytes would do the same with Gothic 1&2….

I am playing gothic 2 on my 17" gaming laptop, it is doing just fine. But then I have never placed graphics in my top5...

Instabuy for me.

Yes, I could just mod my current version but why? $25, c'mon thats a lunch.

Loving it! I have very limited time for gaming, so even that extra hour to install all the mods in the original is a big deal to me. The biggest difference to me though has been that the load times are so much incredibly faster on the enhanced versions, that alone makes them worth it to me.

Loving it! I have very limited time for gaming, so even that extra hour to install all the mods in the original is a big deal to me. The biggest difference to me though has been that the load times are so much incredibly faster on the enhanced versions, that alone makes them worth it to me.

I second that view.

BG EE runs so smoothly and load times are nearly non-existent. I really like how the game scales to higher resolutions and how you can zoom in.. Plus its way more easier than downloading bunch of patches, fixpacks and a tutumod. And new content doesn't hurt either.

And I bet it won't take long for modders to translate the most popular mods to EE.

No buy for me. Even though I enjoyed BG:EE, I don't think there were enough content to impress me, and BG2 already has tons of contents to entertain me with/without mods. Perhaps I will consider it if the player review is very positive.

$25 can be significant amount of money wasted if you can't justify that much spending. So personally $25 on BG2:EE would be significant amount of money wasted. I will rather spend that on a nice lunch. For some of you, $25 would be nothing if you end up enjoy playing BG2:EE. I just don't see much point, especially if this will end up incompatible with most of mods out there for BG2.

I probably wouldn't go for an EE of the IWD/IWD2 games. The fact that there was no party interaction makes it less replayable, as does the generally linear and mostly combat-oriented nature of the games.

Well, not true really. To address this point specifically, the Icewind Dale games are made significantly more replayable by the available mods in the area of party interaction.
Gibberlings 3 have the Icewind Dale II npc project for instance:
http://www.gibberlings3.net/iwd2npc/

Whilst pocketplane, have an npc mod for the first game: http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=174&Itemid=122

Both add significant replayability; I'm definitely intending on playing through both again with the most recent editions. Ahh, if only one had more time. ;)

As for BG2 EE: I didn't think much of BG EE, so I'll probably just wait for the reviews here of the extra content to see what it's like. As it is, I'm quite happy with my ol' cd version. :)

I don't think the question is whether or not BG2 is worth 25$ - but whether or not what they've done with it is worth 25$.

Obviously, that comes down to personal preference - and how much you care about rewarding their effort according to its value (to you).

Personally, I've considered their release of BG a cash-grab, but I'm hearing good things about upcoming additional content - which means I'm no longer convinced it's such a cheap case of opportunism.

That said, I think they should consider selling it for 15$ or so - because that'd mean more customers and more goodwill.

I'll be getting it, no doubt about it. I'm also very happy to hear that they've added a thief. As I'm sure some of you have noticed, I tend to whine about the lack of one in BG2, as I almost always end up with Jan. He is the only thief with proper thief stats. Even Imoen doesn't have good enough stats unmodified.

Back
Top Bottom