Bard's Tale I - Remaster launches on August 14

This looks absolutely amazing. Seems like they did a lot of QoL improvements like party gold and spell selection via mouse.

Definitely my most anticipated release of the year.

Look at the upper right corner of the viewport… Looks like a resize button to me. :thumbsup:
I hope you are right but this might just be the automap button.

Why not just play these on DosBox with a bunch of filters?

Game looks identical in terms of gameplay.

What? Oh, I get it… that's a joke. :lol:
Good luck with that.

A joke? How so? To me it looks like the exact same game with a nice looking high resolution front-end.

Did they make a single significant change to the gameplay? I'm asking because I honestly don't know - I just don't see it.

Well the word 'significant' is a matter of interpretation. IMHO the new graphics are night and day better than the old but that's just me. The big difference is that it will scale to high resolution monitors without falling apart. Also they added a few 'modern comforts' like automap feature. However, the package will also include the original and if that is your cup of tea feel to play that version.

A joke? How so? To me it looks like the exact same game with a nice looking high resolution front-end.

Did they make a single significant change to the gameplay? I'm asking because I honestly don't know - I just don't see it.

Well the word 'significant' is a matter of interpretation. IMHO the new graphics are night and day better than the old but that's just me. The big difference is that it will scale to high resolution monitors without falling apart. Also they added a few 'modern comforts' like automap feature. However, the package will also include the original and if that is your cup of tea feel to play that version.

Ok, the automap feature I get - that's nice.

As for scaling, that's part of DosBox filters - but I recognise that the resolution is higher and images are nicer looking - but the actual gameplay was always extremely static and text-based. This looks to be the case, still.

I guess the palette and resolution of portraits don't do that much for me when I'm playing a very, very old game.

Then again, I don't intend to play this anyway, so :)

I was just genuinely curious about the excitement - wondering if there's something here that I'm not seeing.

Automap is definitely a big deal - because it was a nightmare to map Bard's Tale - though, some would argue, it was also part of the charm.

Yay, I am entitled for the remasters from backing Bard Tale VI (and they have previously sent the emulated versions packaged with DosBox) - well done Inxile!

They did some very nice changes to the UI and inventory management: Spell selection via mouseclick instead of writing the spellname. Shared party gold instead of permanently shifting gold between party members etc.

Automap as already mentioned makes a huge difference.

They also added "save anywhere" whereas you could only save at the adventurers guild in the original.

They also rebalanced the game to be a bit less grindy, though I seriously hope they did not make it too easy. I think the cruelty of the early game is great as it makes leveling up so much more satisfying. Something I really miss in todays rpgs/dungeon crawlers.

My buddy wants to know if the remasters can be played on a Mac? He loved them back in the day and still has all his maps. I know Bard's 4 will be on Mac and Linux.

My buddy wants to know if the remasters can be played on a Mac? He loved them back in the day and still has all his maps. I know Bard's 4 will be on Mac and Linux.

The gog version only refers to Windows. But doesn't Mac have some kind of virtual machine to run windows stuff? Might even work well, the remasters probably do not require that much resources.

(ps: steam also says windows only)

They didn't have to do much to get me keen on the older remasters, just make them work on my computer and then leave me alone for a couple of months!! =)

And yeah, getting them free as a perk of the kick starter is some extra sweet sauce, in my opinion.

I'm probably equally excited for these remasters as I am for BTIV itself. I was on the fence during the kickstarter about whether or not to pledge, but receiving the remasters for free for pledging is what pushed me over the edge.

I'm excited too but I suspect I'll play it for a few hours and stop, or perhaps I'll play it on my TV with the Steam Link thing, that might work.

Totally agree with Neo there. The new game MIGHT be good/interesting, but the remasters WILL be!!! And if the new game turns out to be excellent, it's a total win-fest all the way around.

Back
Top Bottom