BattleTech - Review @PCGamesN

I have been playing a tonne today as well. Good fun so far but Commando mechs suck or I don't know how to use them so far. Maybe its my tactics.

@Clocknova;
I don't know the lore either but at a guess I'm thinking things like the Matriachy just wouldn't work if gender is considered a fluid thing in-game. That is all speculation on my part however.

We have this weightlifter in NZ who tried to win a medal at the Commonwealth Games as a female. Thing is a lot of people felt that wasn't fair to the female athletes that had trained their whole lives for this event. What happens to womans sports if that becomes acceptable? And so on. She got injured and so didn't win a medal. But changing a paradigm like that changes alot of things about how stuff work. All the assumptions have to change and really should they? A question for another day perhaps.

I'm more puzzled how anyone can be a fan of the new Klingons. They are so wooden. Anyway its cool to like a thing or to not like a thing, capiche?

In general, heavier mechs are better.

Lighter mechs are essentially scouting tools and to remove enemy evasion using sensor lock. I would recommend focusing on heavier mechs from my limited experience.

I only found two problems so far. There is no ingame option to play game on Windowed fullscreen (which I use with all my games due to using two monitors) so one needs to use a workaround.
Bigger problem is that game runs at 30+ FPS on HIGH details on my rig which is a decent one (i5 4690, GTX 960) while not looking that good. Also loading times are bit too long considering I installed it on a SSD. (For comparison Xcom 2 with better graphics had around 50 fps)

But I read that people with much stronger machines are also not getting satisfactory FPS.

I only found two problems so far. There is no ingame option to play game on Windowed fullscreen (which I use with all my games due to using two monitors) so one needs to use a workaround.
Bigger problem is that game runs at 30+ FPS on HIGH details on my rig which is a decent one (i5 4690, GTX 960) while not looking that good. Also loading times are bit too long considering I installed it on a SSD. (For comparison Xcom 2 with better graphics had around 50 fps)

But I read that people with much stronger machines are also not getting satisfactory FPS.

The options let you pick which screen to use though.
At least it does for me.

Streamers do it.

SO this UgoIgo product requires high and smooth FPS to be played.

I've only noticed one bug so far: overheating seems to cause all your armor to fall off when you go back to your ship.

I've overheated a bunch of times and this hasn't happened. Now, you do suffer structural damage everywhere when overheating.

I dunno. I personally find it dumb, but I don't think it'd really bother me. But that being said options can ruin an experience.

It'd be like seeing an option to be a black woman soldier if you played on the German side of a WW2 army platoon. That option would be absolutely moronic to the history and time period. Even seeing that would bother me because it shows so little respect for the accuracy of that period.

If it was just an arcadey game and history didn't matter (like a wolfenstein)? Sure, have at it.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to call them moronic just because an option bothers them that goes against the actual lore of the product they're passionate about.

But your example is not even remotely the same thing.

I think it's absolutely fair to call them moronic. Some are probably just trolling, some are triggered little snowflakes to let such a tiny thing bothered them. If HBS had made that the default (i.e., not an option) then I could understand the complaint. But it's an option. Don't like the option? Don't choose it.

As usual, the idea that the problem is that it's not "lore friendly" is pure shite. I have more time for the people who are upfront, and just state that they have a problem with it in general.

As usual, the idea that the problem is that it's not "lore friendly" is pure shite. I have more time for the people who are upfront, and just state that they have a problem with it in general.

Sorry, but if my tactical games start referring to people as "they" I'm gonna have to do a super eyeroll.

Besides, not liking it is implied, isn't it? I personally think it's a stupid pronoun. Anyways, I heard that's as bad as it gets, so it's just mildly annoying.

The biggest issues IMO are the performance of the game. I keep hearing it runs badly on newer rigs, but not so bad on less top of the line rigs. Which is weird to say the least.

In general, heavier mechs are better.

Lighter mechs are essentially scouting tools and to remove enemy evasion using sensor lock. I would recommend focusing on heavier mechs from my limited experience.

Also all of them need to be refitted ASAP to adjust armor, as they are all under-armored to boost damage.

You can't do it at the start of the game and mechs' heads get shredded and pilots wounded.

See, to me that makes total sense. People that make games are most likely using devices that they've had for a while, not top of the line computers but perfectly fine and flavoured to how the owners want them. Then someone comes along with a brand spanking new system and runs into issues immediately, this doesn't surprise me in the least. Kind of like a new operating system, who wants that the first year it is out? Let them work out most of the initial bugs, then when I hear that it is stable, I might take a look at it. Maybe.

Sorry, but if my tactical games start referring to people as "they" I'm gonna have to do a super eyeroll.

Besides, not liking it is implied, isn't it? I personally think it's a stupid pronoun. Anyways, I heard that's as bad as it gets, so it's just mildly annoying.

The biggest issues IMO are the performance of the game. I keep hearing it runs badly on newer rigs, but not so bad on less top of the line rigs. Which is weird to say the least.

There's a fundamental difference between expressing a personal dislike for something a game contains, and making a more objective criticism that some element breaks the lore. The latter, if true, could be considered a minus point even to the impartial.

In this case, the claim doesn't stand up to a minute's scrutiny. The whole Battletech universe is a jumbled mishmash of lore, with plenty of illogic and inconsistency. Some of it is essentially fan fiction. In the universe, they have transpeciesism, and people genetically modified to exist in alien atmospheres! Here is a picture of one of one Battletech chatacter.

198023_101008.jpg

And this is a universe in which a bit of gender bending is lore-breaking?

I just prefer the relevant people to say "I don't want no tranny stuff in ma games!" rather than making spurious criticisms as cover.

If it's just a matter of finding pronoun proliferation a bit silly, I think an eyeroll is about right, but not review-bombing the game.

The whole Battletech universe is a jumbled mishmash of lore, with plenty of illogic and inconsistency.

Some examples?

As for performance I get around 60 fps on max settings in 4k on a 2700k with a 1080ti.
So old cpu and new gpu, should get way better fps of course but it's not like one needs more in a tbs game.

I have been playing a tonne today as well. Good fun so far but Commando mechs suck or I don't know how to use them so far. Maybe its my tactics.

The Commando is actually a very decent light mech, as it has pretty good armour for its weight class and the SRM 6 is a decent weapon which can shred lightly armoured mechs. Its important when playing light mechs to max out your enemy's shooting penalty. That means a commando should always try to move as far as possible (in the tabletop 7 spaces for +3 evasion, or it the worst case 5 for +2). Even though this reduces your chance to hit, it means your opponents have to pass up better shots against your slower mechs to try to destroy your light mechs.

Some examples?

Have a read of this wiki on Battletech canon, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. I think this phrase gives a pretty good idea of the state of things:

the IP owners are not in total denial about these sources either and that "fluff from an official source that isn't directly contradicted, and makes sense" can be assumed "to be part of the shared universe".

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Canon

Have a read of this wiki on Battletech canon, and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. I think this phrase gives a pretty good idea of the state of things:

"the IP owners are not in total denial about these sources either and that "fluff from an official source that isn't directly contradicted, and makes sense" can be assumed "to be part of the shared universe".

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Canon

So essentially this stuff is unofficially official. No wonder some people are disputing it. Things like DNA alteration makes perfect sense in a science fiction universe in which people have spread to massively different environments. So I gather alot of stuff could fit under that umbrella but hasn't been made explicit?

It's like any large franchise - it spins off in many directions, with many different cooks doing their thing. That's why, as described in the wiki, there's rules of precedence for when things contradict each other.

Back
Top Bottom