Beyond Good or Evil 2 announced (hopefully soon)!

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq
Oh yes baby! BGE is one of the most unjustly ignored games ever. Not exactly a deep, soul-wrenching role-playing experience, but fun an innovative gameplay, great art direction, great voice acting, great music, and generally good, clean fun. (I loved those rasta rhinos in Mammago Garage.)

I bought it abt year ago but havent had time to start it yet. Its a kind of unique game surely (and a cheap one at that!). The game ends as if needing a sequel (or so Ive heard) so its good to know theres one in works.

As far as I know, it was planned as a trilogy.

And yes, it is one of the most unique games ever.

Although a bit hard in some "riddles" for my taste.

Innovative, unique, hard? Did we play the same game?

An action adventure with a largely predictable story, easy and repetitive combat, childish "puzzles", bad stealth sections, annoying minigames and Pokémon-style Gotta collect'em all! photography. It also had poor controls in the PC version, typical straight port from consoles stuff. It's been over a year since I played it so I'm not able to give a more in-depth critique, but I must say that after hearing people rave about it like some kind of cult classic in the making, it sure was quite a letdown.

It was cute and all, but I had expected more than that.

Other people have said the opposite about controls and puzzles and stealth:

" Nonlethal stealth is quickly becoming one of those "love it or hate it" gameplay elements, and while the stealth in BG&E is handled well, there's enough of it to turn off people who don't care for it."

This is clearly one of those love-it-or-hate-it games which I believe is a good thing. Games need to be more diverse instead of trying to please everyone. There is always plenty enough of mass oriented generic vanilla games that are not designed for any specific taste.

EDIT: in the pc version you can use joytokey program to enable gamepad

Last edited:
"Unique" mainly in terms of setting and look.

Mechanics, I don't know. I didn't analyse them.

I just tried to have some fun.

More diverse instead of trying to please everyone? I'd rather call the phenomenons linked. Make the game "diverse" so that there's a "little bit for everyone" in it - much like BG&E. There's racing, creature photography collecting, mêlée combat, hover ship combat, puzzles, stealth, "open world" exploration, air hockey and I think there were more minigames that I don't remember right now. None of them are good on their own, giving a crushingly mediocre mix of gameplay. The only part of the game that really stood out to me as genuinely good was the art direction, and I think the voice acting as well.

About the puzzles: My standard for (good) hard adventure games was set by Riven: The Sequel to Myst ages ago (if you'll excuse the pun), but BG&E's puzzles were practically children's stuff, and they keep repeating some of them.

Stealth: I like stealth. The Thief series is among my favorite games, but the stealth implemented in BG&E is just pretty badly done/mediocre, much like the other mostly action games that suddenly decided to put in poor stealth sections just because it became trendy a couple of years ago.

Also: I most certainly didn't hate BG&E - as I said, I just thought it was very mediocre, nothing special. When I finished the game, I left it with a shrug, puzzled as to what so good about it that seemingly just about everyone who's played it recommend it without reservation. I still haven't quite grasped it.

More diverse instead of trying to please everyone?

What I meant is that genres ("games" was a poor wording) need to be more diversified. BG&E is often called unique so it fits into that category. What makes it unique? Perhaps its the mix of different game-elements, the look or the setting. Or all of them together.

Last edited:
I never played Riven, because I just don't like this kind of puzzles.
This has nothing t do with the difficulty; I just don't like this type.

a agree myst type puzzle 'logic' puzzle game blow.
whats wrong with an all ages game?
must this always be limited to horribly stale mario, link, sonic, etc franchises, whose gameplay may be fun, or 'solid' but those games have long since done anything unique, remarkable, or containing any type of moral element.

a agree myst type puzzle 'logic' puzzle game blow.
I can certainly understand why one would find the Myst games offputting, but I found Riven to be just brilliant, and the puzzles were actually well integrated into the world (Myst 1, 3 and 5 feeling mostly like a bunch of puzzles poorly thrown together).

whats wrong with an all ages game?
must this always be limited to horribly stale mario, link, sonic, etc franchises, whose gameplay may be fun, or 'solid' but those games have long since done anything unique, remarkable, or containing any type of moral element.
But what was it that was unique or remarkable about BG&E? And is a game with so much violence really an 'all ages' game?

In my case, it's just that I have never been good at logic puzzles. Don't know why. The whole of my life.

I recently managed to answer a small riddle - for you, "educated riddlers" from so many games, probably crap.

Be me, I was delighted like the sun, being able to solve one of the very few riddles I could solve in my whole life (it was a text riddle, like in The Hobbit, in fact).

I have never been "educated" ans assembled enough experience to see patterns in riddle-solving. I just made my mind up how I needed it to, and did it. The more I lost, the more disencouraged I became.

Maybe this is even the point why I was never fond of logic puzzles : I had to try too many ztimes until I got finally solved it.

This is something I have been experienced about my self the whole of my life: That I was never patient enough to solve a riddle. My mind demanded that I was so intelligent that I could *easily* solve *any* riddle - and usually I failed.

To me, that's a clear sign of

a) delusions of grandeur
b) neurotic behaviour when the "secondary self" demands that one is always better than anybody else (this is something I took from the book Neurosis and human growth : The struggle toward self-realization by Karen Horney. This book is fairly old, but I found hints that it is considered a classic - I'm not sure, because I'm not a psychologist, though).

@KazikluBey : BG&E is colourful. This is nothing against the fashion of doing dark and gritty games that are M-rated games I think only.

Everyone expects that M-rated games have to be violent, full of blood, dark, murky, and fiilled with themes kids and even teenagers wouldn't dare to think.

BG&E is nothing like this - from the look alopne. It is bright - far too bright for people used to M-rated games - and colourful ! Plus, the overall athmosphere is very lighthearted and good-willed - apart from the obvious oppression.

This is a game clearly NOT made for an older audience, because such lighthearted games wouldn't sell.

If you look at the "big sellers", you'll see that none of them have a lighthearted, colourful look and music. Except Sacred, maybe.

Doom, Crysis, The Witcher, GTA - all of these games are - from look, spirit and music - the total opposite of BG&E. The only thing that this game has in common with them are the fights and the rather adult theme of not only oppression, but also kidnapping and exploiting.
But I meant the overall look and the music anyway, not the theme.

I played BG& E, It was nothing new or especially good, but I had a lot of fun with it. The voices, the jokes in it. The puzzles were not breath taking difficult but sometimes It took a lot of time to got through.
I never finished it. I did make it to the end - boss.
I really had a lot of fun. Can't wait untill BG&E 2 appears. :d

That's really too bad. BG&E was a quirky and fun little game. Still this isn't exactly solid news. They don't even know the source, so there is still hope.

Even it it's true after the market rebounds a bit more maybe they'll put it back into production.

The German magazine called Gee actually has a retrospective in BG&E ... In it, the author writes, BG&E "did some things right - and probably for the first and only time". I think he was referring to the various kinds of "gameplay modes" embedded into the game (races, collecting of pearls etc. ...).

All you Beyond Good or Evil fans out there rejoice. BGE2 is officially being made again. There are almost no details being released about it, but the only fact that I care about is this:

According to G4tv.com, a Ubisoft representative said "Yes, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and I Am Alive are both still in development, but there’s no additional info to provide at this time."

You can read the about it over at atomic gamer, but it doesn't really say anything new other than it is being developed.

I loved BGE. It was fun and quirky. Plus how often do you get to play a manpig ;)

I also liked the original and hope that this one does eventually arrive ... so long as it is decent ...

Back
Top Bottom