BG2: What am I doing wrong?

It's a strange advise to somebody to try out BG2 mods to improve his liking of the game, since 99 % of them take for granted that you do like the game already.

I politely disagree. In my opinion, most of the mods is made because of either some creative urge or of the urge to correct game's faults, or both.
I, for example, wasn't much entertained by the vanilla game and was gradually more and more irritated by endless hack'n'slash and by the time I reached Sendai's Enclave I gave up on the game entirely.
Years later, I 've given the game second chance, this time with a bunch of mods installed, and it was much better experience.
For example, whole expansion is, in Minsc's words, "less talk, more fight". With some mod NPCs, especially Longer Road, this, for me unpleasant, disbalance was gone.
In original BG2, romances were more annoying than fun, and dialogue choices were usually simplified to two basic responses. Some mod romances redeem this with more natural and complex flow.
Even in SoA, there is emphasis on combat which I wasn't much fond of, but after installing some more talkative NPCs, things started to feel more balanced. Of course, there is quite a lot of talking in the original game, but a lot of dialogues isn't particularly interesting.
Also, after chapter 2 which I consider to be highlight of the vanilla BG2, you are railroaded through the main story by going from one plot point to another with a vast amount of fighting inbetween. So, for example in chapter 5, I was glad of having Xan with my party, because it offered me a possibility to stop between fights and engage in some, usually quite funny, conversation.
Imoen wasn't originally meant to be in your party in later chapters, so her character is extremely underdeveloped in SoA, again, banter mod and some mod NPCs gave her something to talk about.
And there's more things - romances are bugged, paperdolls are artistically poor, inventrory juggling detracts from actual playing, "you must gather your party" breaks the immersion and so on, all of this is rectified by mods I've listed earlier.
Of course, combat in Baldur's Gate can be actually very fun and engaging, given its complexity, but it needs some time to be appreciated. Carefully chosen mods can give a first timer some space for breathe in between them, help to decrease repetitiveness,also enhance and deepen those roleplaying non-combat aspects, thus help to "retain balance". All of that is very subjective, that's for sure, but it worked for me.
All in all, at the point I installed some carefully selected mods for it, Baldur's Gate started to be much more interesting experience for me.

Yeah, I heard about that. Can't say anything about it, let alone recommend it, cause I did not try that. Baldurdash worked 100% great for me and I noticed no bugs whatsoever either in SoA or ToB so I figured I'd recommend that.
But those G3 things have a bad habit for modding things... I chose not to use the G3 IWD fix pack for that reason. Baldurdash does not do any mod, it only fixes.
I don't do mods.
Everything they're not certain are non-intentional weirdnesses/bugs gets separated into the "Optional But Cool" part where you get to pick and choose which components to install.

Everything they're not certain are non-intentional weirdnesses/bugs gets separated into the "Optional But Cool" part where you get to pick and choose which components to install.

Allrighty then! Perhaps I'll try that G3 pack next time I play BG2.
And I play BG2 at least once every year :D

Imoen wasn't originally meant to be in your party in later chapters, so her character is extremely underdeveloped in SoA, again, banter mod and some mod NPCs gave her something to talk about.

Was she supposed to get killed or something?

Yes, I have ToB. I applied some of those fixes you recommended, too.

I finished the main Umar Hills story, and found that one the Cowled Wizards were after who's apparently my ticket into the Planar Sphere; there seem to be some loose ends left here, though, regarding some nasty business in the Bridge District, so I'm not leaving just yet.

But I am calling it a night.

Was she supposed to get killed or something?

SPOILERS

Admittedly, I'm not 100% sure, but yes. In the end, probably close to deadline, they decided not to, because it would possibly piss off many players. I considered the source where I read it to be reliable, but unfortunately I don't remember it now, so maybe take this info with a grain of salt. Anyway, it's quite noticeable how silent she is in later chapters, especially in comparison with her chateau Irenicus incarnation.

SPOILERS END

I'm not leaving just yet.

I think that's the right decision. Although doing all those side quests in chapter 2 may not give much roleplaying sense, imho it makes even less roleplaying sense later. Your PC doesn't know, what awaits him later, so the slight delay of things can be justified by the reason of preparations for the unknown, I guess. I'd recommend finnishing at least Planar Sphere, Trademeet quest and Lord Jierdan Firkraag's quest before departure.

Last edited:
Yes, I have ToB. I applied some of those fixes you recommended, too.
Oh. Adding them to an already started game is not recommended though, as that could introduce some real weird bugs (what with possibly different quest and area flags being set). It might also all work out nicely though, I've never tried adding such things to an already started playthrough.

Hehe.. it's kind of funny AFAIK they wanted to remove Imoen already in BG 1 and only wrote her back in because the beginning was to hard without her, and then wanted to kill her off in the asylum but changed that again :)

Well, I'm on my way now. Turning down the difficulty a notch helped a lot; I've gotten the slaver quest done, put a ghost to rest, rescued Viconia (and inducted her into the party, kicked out that annoying prat Anomen), and did other similar odds and ends. I'll try Umar Hills next (thanks Zakhary). I've also managed to purchase some pretty beefy robes for my kensai/wizard, and have leveled up enough to have some defensive magic as well, so I'm not completely screwed when facing spellcasters and such. That tiefling bard is pretty badass, what with his harp of confusion and all, too. I'm actually starting to have fun here.

Compared to this, though, Dwarf Fortress's learning curve was cake.

You mean fighter/mage.... ;)

Once you save up some money, get some really awesome items from Deidre in Advanturer's market in Waukeen's promenade. She sells powerful items from Planescape: Torment. If you don't have this components, then you can download it from sorcerers.net. I will give you a link if you need one. There's also a merchant called Julouv in Copper Coronet who sells powerful weapons from IWD series. But IMO PS:T items are far more superior than IWD items. Make sure you get robe of vecna if you have any mage or sorcerer in your party.

Oh, and when you are doing Umar hills mission, you can decide to fight a dragon. However, I warn you, if you can't defeat the dragon, just come back later. Normally, dragons are much easier to kill once you get spells like "lower magic resisitance" and "greater malison" and "finger of death".

Allrighty then! Perhaps I'll try that G3 pack next time I play BG2.
And I play BG2 at least once every year :D

Mods all have their own good and bad points. I'm trying out new mod from PPG called "Assassination". It's quite good actually. Interesting for ppl who wants to play bg2 in evil way. I'm really addicted to mods, I find myself unable to play BG2 without mods now.

I have played following mods: Unfinished Business, Quest pack, NPC flirt pack, Cross mod banter pack, Tsujatha, Yasraena, Xan from PPG, Kelsey, Kivan, Beyond the law and Longer road. I tried Solaufein mod but I just couldn't stand it.

ATM I'm trying out romantic encounters and assassination.

I'd say all of mods I've tried out are really good except for Solaufein and the longer road. I really disliked both mods. Especially longer road because it makes Irenicus whiny and wussy.

If you are looking for extra things to do unfinished business and quest pack are way to go. Assassination is also good but prob more suitable for evil alignment chars.

NPC flirt pack and romantic encounter is good if you are looking for flirts and flings.

Cross mod banter is a must have if you have installed more than 1 moded NPC. Once I've played xan and kivan mod w/o cross mod banter and it was so weird 'cause they know each other from previous adventure (BG1) and they don't say a word to each other.

Tsujatha, Yasraena, Xan from PPG, Kelsey, Kivan, Beyond the law are the NPC mods. Tsujatha, xan, kelsey and kivan are romanceable chars for female PC. Some of them won't romance female PC depending on situation. Yasraena is non-romanceable NPC, although she has interesting dialogues with male PC. Beyond the law makes you carry around 2 NPCs and they aren't romanceable since those 2 NPCs romance each other in certain circumstances. BTL is pretty good although it reminds you very much of JRPG chars. Their names even sound like jap even though they are both half-elf (Kiyone Mikkabi and Kova Kashiro).

Keep buying expensive items as long as you want to continue adventuring freely.
Because when you get enough cash.. certain things are set into motion :D

We should gather 3-6 rpgwatch members and do a multiplayer cooperative
run through BG1 + ToSC :D

Could be fun.

Everyone would just blindly create a character and then stick with it no matter what. No agreements up front :D

That would actually be a lot of fun, but the sheer length of the game plus the fact that we're all spread throughout different time zones would make it tough..

You are right, but no deadlines or pressure, we could just play for an hour or two when everyone feels like it. We could even have multiple games going on simultaneously with small groups like 3-4 from same/similar timezones.
The atmosphere of these sessions should be laid-back and perhaps even a bit goofy :D
And who cares even if we'd never actually finish the game?
Playing games is fun, finishing them is the worst part :D

BG1 is a lot less dialogue heavy than BG2 so it would work nicely as multiplayer.
IWD1/2 would be another excellent options but I've personally played them over so many times and they're pretty hard too, the constant reloading would be a pain.

BG1 would be perfect for this purpose.

Sorry for the thread hijack, PJ. But in my defense - we have already figured out what you were doing wrong :D

I'd certainly be up for a BG1/2 game.

If you, PJ have a person in your party that needs a very good shield, be sure to get the shield of balduran from the back of the store. (the first one you visit) It is really helpful when dealing with certain enemies that throws some spells at you.

On a different yet related note:

I would be interested in playing such a game as Zakhary suggested - although I do see some of the troubles in doing so...

edit:
Here's the info for the Shield of Balduran
(very nice when you see some that might behold you...)

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/equipment/shields.php

You need to have the Collector's Edition of BG2 (which I have) and which you also seem to have?, since you have the Tobe of Vecna, unless ToB adds these in the game?

Last edited:
Deidre, who sells the Torment items in the Adventurers' Mart is added in ToB, aries. I think you still need the CE mod for the IWD merchant in the Copper Coronet however.

Back
Top Bottom