BG3 pre launch musings

bizorker

Sentinel
Original Sin 2 Donor
A few random questions I have as this nears official launch.

Where I'm coming from...

BG2 is my all time favorite. Been waiting for the 'spiritual successor' forever. Have purposely read / watched very little about the game to avoid spoilers or develop overly lofty expectations. Have been very skeptical of Larian + official D&D game since initial announcement. But getting very excited and will no doubt sink a billion hours into this game.

Questions...

If I'm not going to play until it is officially release, is there any benefit to buying the early access version off steam right now?

What difficulty setting do you think you'll start on?

Are you going to play BG3 first, Starfield first, or both at the same time?

What game will benefit most from additional post release tuning: BG3 or Starfield?

Best arguments for NOT starting to play BG3 on release day?

For a while now I've had a general negative feeling regarding the BG3 artwork, particularly the character / NPC art direction. The Larian artwork just seems to have a different vibe vs. what I am used to with official D&D content. Seems sort of "off" to me personally. Am I crazy? How are you liking the art direct? Or do you even care?

Awaiting the official release with excitement and trepidation :)

On a tablet and copy pasting editing takes to long, so here in order of questions.

1. No benefit to buying EA right now. The game will stay at the same price.
2. Go with Normal or an easy setting. Nightmare is insane.
3. BG 3 first and Starfield after. So probably both as I finish games fast.
4. Hard to say as BG3 has future DLC and content like Starfield. Though after thinking for a while Starfield wins for me. Just because it has a better mod scence.
5. Both again as their complex games.
6. None it's been in development for 7 years and has a lot of content. Only problem that might matter to some players is the price, and bugginess on launch day.

Last edited:
1. Actually, you do get your EA version upgraded to some "deluxe" edition with some Divinity tunes for bard roleplay and a few cosmetic bits of junk. Probably worth it.

2. Me? :cool:

3. Todd Howard?

4. Todd Howard?!

5. Todd Howard.

6. It's a Larian game.

Yes that's some very detailed reasons and makes me want to buy the game.:rotfl:

Todd Howard doesn't do what Todd Howard does for Todd Howard. Todd Howard does what Todd Howard does because Todd Howard is Todd Howard.

1. Actually, you do get your EA version upgraded to some "deluxe" edition with some Divinity tunes for bard roleplay and a few cosmetic bits of junk. Probably worth it.
That's part of the reason I purchased the EA, but after seeing what it actually includes, I don't think it's worth getting early for that.

Still, if you're going to get the game anyways, I guess there's no reason not to buy the EA.

If I'm not going to play until it is officially release, is there any benefit to buying the early access version off steam right now?
It's already been answered. I'd just add that if you have doubts about the game, you'll have to see if the Deluxe Edition has any interest for you. If so, buy it right before the release on GOG, and you have 30 days to test the game. If that's not for you, ask for a refund. If not, do the same but wait for more feedback before doing buying the game.

If you're excited about the game after getting some information and perhaps watching a little of gameplay, it's probably a good sign that you won't regret it. :)
You can change the difficulty at any point in the game, so don't worry about that.
BG3. I'm pretty sure I'll want to do a 2nd run, and playing another game between those runs seems a good idea. I'm not sure which game will have more bugs, but the first act of BG3 should be relatively stable, so it's possible to at least start it without too much trouble. I have no idea about Starfield though.
What game will benefit most from additional post release tuning: BG3 or Starfield?
Who knows.
I don't see any. What could possibly happen? At worst there are bugs, then you can decide to stop if that's bothering you.
For a while now I've had a general negative feeling regarding the BG3 artwork, particularly the character / NPC art direction. The Larian artwork just seems to have a different vibe vs. what I am used to with official D&D content. Seems sort of "off" to me personally. Am I crazy? How are you liking the art direct? Or do you even care?
Yes, it's definitely another style, though it's not exactly the same as the D:OS games either, even if the engine remains the same. You have to expect changes in all the aspects of the game, not just art: the ruleset, the style, the TB combat, the length of the game, the humour, itemization, ...

I don't feel that it's off, but that doesn't make you crazy. I like most of it, but not everything.

I'm a fan of BG3, although not Larian, so take my bias into account.

>> I don't think EA or Deluxe offers much IMO. I have EA so I could play the game early, not because of what it could add later.

>> I most likely will play on easy, even though in the EA there was no option and I did fine. I am not as big on TB combat so prefer to focus on other things. It comes down to how much you like the combat, how much you like TG, what your frustration levels are, how much challenge you want, and so on. I will enjoy the combat but I don't want to get into a lot of dragged out fights.

>> BG3 as it comes out 8/3 so I will have a month to play roughly. Then it will be Starfield, then C2077-PL, then back to BG3 for a second round. Well that's the plan but it could change at any time for any number of reasons as I play what I am in the mood for and what my focus is.

>> I would say Starfield as its Bethesda Plus mods will start coming out. BG3 has already had a lot of tuning in EA.

>> Save the best for last?

>> I don't compare games in this sense. I take each game and judge it on its own merits, not how it compares to others. Nor do I care how close it is to being a successor, how much the rules match, or anything else like that. I only care if the game is fun and I am enjoying playing it. But that's me and how I view things. We all have different tastes and what sort of emphasis we put on things we value.

>> I am fine with the art direction, love it actually. I also loved the art direction in BG1 and BG2.

There's no benefit, but there is a drawback: saves will not be compatible. So once the game comes out, you'll be starting afresh regardless.

Probably whatever they call normal, in general. I don't want a super hard setting, but I do want AOE to matter, for example. (A fireball should hurt everyone it lands on!)

I would play BG3 first if I had a computer capable of running it worth a damn. There is a small chance I may get a new PC soon, and then it would be BG3. Otherwise, Starfield.

I assume Starfield, because BG3 has been in Early Access for 3 years. Nobody outside of internal testers have played Starfield.

My best argument is not having the computer to run it. ;) I'm not a "wait for 1 year's worth of patches" kinda guy, so I say go for it.

Sure, I care about art direction, but I haven't seen anything I don't like. The character designs and monster designs and such look pretty cool to me so far, though I haven't played that far into the game.

The question is actually between BG3 and JA3 for me, don't think Starfield is even in the same league. Don't want to start JA3 now and then switch to BG3 when it comes out, as I always finish a game before moving on. Leaning towards BG3.

Also, Larian games are generally in great shape on release, so there's probably the least amount of worries w/ BG3 compared to the other 2.

Also, Larian games are generally in great shape on release, so there's probably the least amount of worries w/ BG3 compared to the other 2.
While I agree with that, the caveat is they still get a lot patches that further tweak and balance the game after release, which means certain skills, etc, might get boosted or nerfed. At least that's how it was with the Divinity: Original Sin games.

The question is actually between BG3 and JA3 for me, don't think Starfield is even in the same league. Don't want to start JA3 now and then switch to BG3 when it comes out, as I always finish a game before moving on. Leaning towards BG3.

Except they're both turn-based, JA3 and BG3 are not in the same league either, even far less than BG3 and Starfield, which are firmly placed in the AAA category.

It may take some time to finish JA3, though. I'm not sure I could do that in 2-3 weeks.

Except they're both turn-based, JA3 and BG3 are not in the same league either, even far less than BG3 and Starfield, which are firmly placed in the AAA category.
The only league I was referring to was that of my own interest level. I care about old-school RPG / turn-based / tactics games most of all, don't care that much about action RPGs. Not to mention, JA3 and BG3 are games that many of us have been waiting on for >20 years (Starfield, less than 1/4th of that). Completely bizarre that BG3/JA3 are coming out within 3 weeks of each other. Quite the dilemma.

The only league I was referring to was that of my own interest level. I care about old-school RPG / turn-based / tactics games most of all, don't care that much about action RPGs. Not to mention, JA3 and BG3 are games that many of us have been waiting on for >20 years (Starfield, less than 1/4th of that). Completely bizarre that BG3/JA3 are coming out within 3 weeks of each other. Quite the dilemma.
Yes, and JA3 seems pretty stable, except a few minor cosmetic issues. So it's not as if you had to wait one month before playing it.

Good luck with the choice! :)

I have started JA3 but I'm not sure I'll continue it, because of 2 other games I've already started. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate. Have you already played it a little? (Sorry if you said so elsewhere)

I'm too busy this week to start JA3 now, but even if I wanted to...I bought the collector's edition, which ships from Germany and I'm in the US. And I guess sending keys out in advance isn't something that THQ does (no surprise, I expected it) :LOL: At least it makes the decision to play BG3 first easier, I suppose.

1. You get upgrade to the deluxe version for free.
2. I will always start on story mode and then move up.
3. BG3. Story is very important to me and Bethesda has never been great at it.
4. Both but starfield more given Bethesda release records.

Back
Top Bottom