Blackguards

I'm starting to think this game is broken.

Do talents do anything? Naugrim has 18 in all 3 talents yet he falls in to every sink hole, trap, poison plant, poison thorns, you name it.

18 in perception on 2 guys but they never spot anything, do I need to activate it or something it seemed to work at lower levels.

poison can go to hell. even when casting the spell for 60% resistance I still get poisoned every time I'm hit.

I'm still winning most battles and am in the 5th chapter but it's becoming more of a chore after spending time building guys to avoid these things having them be the things that hit me constantly is very annoying.

And while I'm complaining can I just say I'm tired of being thrown in to fights with out my spell caster or with only a hand axe or without half my party etc. I spent all game working hard to build my party and too often I'm without them or my weapons I worked so hard perfecting.

I've really enjoyed the game to this point too, but when I've spent so many points to avoid these things and to get hit by them all the time and not be able to detect them SUCKS.

Is something broken or am I not doing it right, I mean the talents, will power, perception and body control are passive right?

Well a quick search revels you do have to activly use perception, it's right there in the wheel how I missed it for 80 hours is beyond me.

My other gripes stand however until I figure out what else I'm doing wrong.:)

Last edited:
Well I am still fairly early on (and the game is still very easy on normal) but I get the impression that( beyond some things that may need to be looked into by them) there may be some rules taking place under the hood that are not explained to us anywhere.

Some of the constant failures the mages do (even with spell skill levels of 13) seem to come from environmental factors? i.e. on one of the early maps I recall my mage failing his cold shock all the time, and when I looked his chance of success had somehow dropped to less than 50% from the 90 something it should have been. I don't know if the fact that he was close to a running stream (or that his lizard target was standing in the stream) was what affected the roll i.e. … (and being a DS fanboy complaining about opaque mechanics would be pure hypocrisy from me ;) )

I get the impression (and from this thread too from what I've seen) that TDE is a bit complicated in its effect/event calculations (I only have a high level view and never really read a sourcebook) so its probable that for every modifier that a skill advertises there is one or two more , outside ones, that subtract or add to it before the roll is finally calculated….

That said does anyone have any info if they are still working on the game? Any patches planned ?

Last edited:
i.e. on one of the early maps I recall my mage failing his cold shock all the time, and when I looked his chance of success had somehow dropped to less than 50% from the 90 something it should have been
Perhaps he switched to another target which had a higher magic resistance? Or he was wounded?

No wounds, but perhaps the Lizards have pretty large Magic resistances anyway ? The funny thing is that for the same target my Thunderbolt showed very high success percentages…

Wouldn't lizards standing on water and having high resistance exclusively to a cold spell be a bit counterintuitive ? ;)

P.S Also AI is a little wonky at times (enemy casters doing back and forth at the back of their ranks, in confusion at the Mengbila gladiator games i.e). That and some visible performance drops (very very rare and hardly really affecting but eyebrow raising for a system like mine) should be addressed at least...

One question, on Neirims axe, it has an enchanment called power blow.

Does it mean that power blow effect is automatically applied when striking? in that case will I get double effects if I do a powerblow? or is the powerblow with this weapon useless?

Power Blow isn't an enchantment, it's a special talent that anyone can learn. It can only be used with certain weapon types though, and I think you must have at least 12 strength.

*Edit* Oh, and it's not applied automatically. You have to select it for that turn. You get a more powerful attack at a lower hit percentage.

Last edited:
I can use power blow with other weapons also which doesn't have it mentioned as an enhancement in the weapon description.

So I was wondering if for this axe something is special here.

Ah I see, you're buying cheap keyboards from ebay and they are delivered in that state. :p

Oops... The game... Noone said it's not challenging. In fact most said, including me, it's not another easy on hard. Next time someone says there are no challenging games anymore, the answer will be just one word - Blackguards.

That's why I buy them in bulk. ;)

@GG - Afaik, there's nothing special about Naugrim's axe besides the fact that it has his name on it. You can use Power Blow with any axe, sword, or blunt weapon.

JDR, if it were an action game like Dark Souls 2 I may understand. But turn-based combat where you can always click the try again button without losing progress?

BTW, there's a new patch out. Sadly it didn't patch the infinite morfu respawn bug in chapter 5. Yes it's a bug. A terrible one as confessed by a developer in the thread below.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/249650/discussions/0/558746995215225977/

That's why I buy them in bulk. ;)

@GG - Afaik, there's nothing special about Naugrim's axe besides the fact that it has his name on it. You can use Power Blow with any axe, sword, or blunt weapon.

Yes yes I got it now!

There is a bug which can keep things in the wrong window.

Last edited:
Isn't that "power blow" in a way in Drakensang, too ? I wonder because both might still rely on the same rules set ...

Yes it is. The difference is that in Blackguards combat skills are not dependant on EC thus you can spam as many powerblows as you want - but a chance to hit is lower than in issuing a normal attack.

Back
Top Bottom