Blade of Darkness - Re-Released on GOG and Steam

I have good memories of this game. I thought it was a great game for the time it was released. I had trouble getting the hang of the controls at first and learning to do the combos, but once I became skilled at it, it was a lot of fun, though some of the jumping and avoiding deadly traps that was required was frustrating at times. I enjoyed finding special items hidden away in places people would not think to look. One thing I found amusing was at one point being up on a castle wall and looking down at enemies below and throwing weapons down onto them and they were not able to return fire. I wish there had been a sequel with improved graphics and a better storyline. I played as the Amazon Warrior because I liked being able to use polearms. I don't want to give away too much of her storyline(what little there is of it), but I did find some element of possible romance in the game, which was unexpected, but a welcome addition to the story, even though there wasn't much to it. I wish they had added more along those lines and wondered if those possible romance elements existed for the other playable characters.

Severance was damn good action game with one of the best melee combat in videogame at time of release and long after. Played it a lot in the time. Dont recall the controls being clunky, but I also dont think Gothic has clunky controls, so thats subjective thing IMO. Of course all early 3D graphics is ugly as shit, so this is not place for graphics whores.

MustPlay™ classic! I wish someone would create a turn-based Blade of Darkness! :D

Mercy, I'd be all for that! Not sure if this is something I'll pick up or not, yet I'm always pleased to see these classics brought back to life for all to enjoy.

From what I've seen there's a significant difference between 1 and 3. DS3 seemed to me to take a lot of inspiration from Bloodborne. It's nowhere near as fast as BB, but you're no longer walking through mud, as I felt you are in DS1. It all feels much more smooth and reactive to me. I think reactive is the word.

Are you sure you're not thinking of 2?

1 and 3 both feel pretty fast and loose. It was 2 where things were slowed down. Especially with things like dodge rolls where 2 would let you do three or four rolls but in 3 you can pretty much spam them because you get about double the amount.

Back
Top Bottom