Buying new PC end of year - looking for some advice/guidance

From what I remember the default fan curve for the 4090 as much too aggressive. It triggers at 55C and keeps it on until it's in the very low 30s. While my idle temp is that 40-41. Not sure if it's with this card or the previous 3080ti that it would even trigger the fans while in idle. Which is the whole reason I started off setting up MSI after burner.

About MSI Support yeah maybe I could try that. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, a discord channel I am on has some tech savvy folks who were able to help :)

Last edited:
Who knows how much power they'll eat.

I'm out of this ridiculous race. ;)
Even though I really overpayed for my 4090 (at least at that moment, since a few months later with the China ban on gpus the 4090's price basically got considerably higher than the ridiculous price I payed) I have to say it still constantly impresses.
My previous gpu got a bit sweathy while running God of War, with everything on max. With this one it constantly stays at 40-45 degrees C with the fans at 30%. And it idles at 40 with fans on 0%.

Even though I really overpayed for my 4090 (at least at that moment, since a few months later with the China ban on gpus the 4090's price basically got considerably higher than the ridiculous price I payed) I have to say it still constantly impresses.
My previous gpu got a bit sweathy while running God of War, with everything on max. With this one it constantly stays at 40-45 degrees C with the fans at 30%. And it idles at 40 with fans on 0%.
Wow. But it can still draw a lot, I suppose? It just has a better fan management. The 3070 I have seems pretty bad in that department.

Wow. But it can still draw a lot, I suppose? It just has a better fan management. The 3070 I have seems pretty bad in that department.
I didn't check for GoW, but I expect it's probably at my particular card's cap, of 450Watts. Technically it goes all the way too 600W but I'm not gonna test my luck. All those that caught fire went over the 450W limit.
Highend games usually hit the cap of 450W, while average ones take in significantly less. But yeah, it's got fantastic cooling and powerful as hell. My fans spend 90% of the time at 30% of max fan speed. And very rarely jump to 40-50%. Cyberpunk is probably the only one that pushed it.

I feel so stupid right now. *blush* How many GB was 1 TB again ? 1000 ?

Yes, okay, thank you, that was what I thought it was. Thank you both very much.

Was curious, so I read up a little on the historical context: https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Historical context*
Once upon a time, computer professionals noticed that 210 was very nearly equal to 1000 and started using the SI prefix "kilo" to mean 1024.That worked well enough for a decade or two because everybody who talked kilobytes knew that the term implied 1024 bytes. But, almost over night a much more numerous "everybody" bought computers, and the trade computer professionals needed to talk to physicists and engineers and even to ordinary people, most of whom know that a kilometer is 1000 meters and a kilogram is 1000 grams.

Then data storage for gigabytes, and even terabytes, became practical, and the storage devices were not constructed on binary trees, which meant that,for many practical purposes, binary arithmetic was less convenient than decimal arithmetic. The result is that today "everybody" does not "know"what a megabyte is. When discussing computer memory, most manufacturers use megabyte to mean 220 = 1 048 576 bytes, but the manufacturers of computer storage devices usually use the term to mean 1 000 000 bytes. Some designers of local area networks have used megabit per second to mean 1 048 576 bit/s, but all telecommunications engineers use it to mean 106 bit/s. And if two definitions of the megabyte are not enough, a third megabyte of 1 024 000 bytes is the megabyte used to format the familiar 90 mm (3 1/2 inch), "1.44 MB" diskette. The confusion is real, as is the potential for incompatibility in standards and in implemented systems.

Faced with this reality, the IEEE Standards Board decided that IEEE standards will use the conventional, internationally adopted, definitions of the SI prefixes. Mega will mean 1 000 000, except that the base-two definition may be used (if such usage is explicitly pointed out on a case-by-case basis) until such time that prefixes for binary multiples are adopted by an appropriate standards body.

In base 10. In base 2 it's 1024. That always confused me; specifying it in decimal when computers use binary. But I guess it makes for cleaner numbers?
It's for consistency: k, M, G, T, etc. have always been powers of 10, but at some point, people hacked it without realizing the problems it could cause. That's why the International System of Units has added units for powers of two (https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html).

EDIT: Same source. :)

1711481021320.png
Ex:
one kibibit
1 Kibit = 210 bit = 1024 bit
one kilobit
1 kbit = 103 bit = 1000 bit

Storage capacities are in decimal so 2 TB is 2,000 GB so its smaller than you expect.
Yes, it's misleading, and it can be non negligible for bigger disks. To add to the confusion, disks like SSDs reserve some space for their management, which reduces the capacity a little further (I suppose that their total size is initially a power of 2, since they're chips).

Few people are aware of the nuance. For example, Explorer is incorrect when it displays the size of items (it also displays the units incorrectly, like 'K' instead of 'k', but that's nitpicking).

When I was significantly younger we used to call the powers of 10 version "weasel bytes", because it was less capacity than the binary version. (the term was first coined by PC World magazine, complaining about storage manufacturers muddying the waters)
Back then the power of 2 was the norm. I even have childhood Usbourne programming books that use it and explain perfectly well why.
The 1998 IEC units haven't necessarily caught on in all fields, or even across the board in all fields. Especially with old-timers. We all knew what was meant by the original way of doing it, and why, and refuse to bow to the influence of the storage-making oligarchy. Death to weasel bytes!!!!* :furious:

From that web page:
"and the trade computer professionals needed to talk to physicists and engineers and even to ordinary people"
Believe me, as an ex-science dude, physicists and engineers wouldn't have been the problem.

(*not really, it makes sense, and all powers of 10 are divisible by two, so there is no mid-binary cut-off)

Back
Top Bottom