City versus country

You did get the reference, right? :)

Nope :)

Anyway, played anything good recently? How'd Division 2 go? Whatcha playin' now?

I played it for a while, but got a little annoyed with their approach to balance and skills.

Latest patch seems interesting, though - so I'll probably get back to it.

Right now, I'm doing a Deus Ex marathon, though I'm taking a small break after the rather dreary IW.

I'm waiting for a bunch of stuff, primarily the Anthem cataclysm update and the expansion for Martyr (out on Tuesday).

Then there's a whole bunch of stuff coming out in August/September.

This weekend I'm playing some co-op with my brother and a mutual friend. LotRO seems to be the pick this time.

Aww, what?! Not good enough! I thought you were into sci-fi!

I played it for a while, but got a little annoyed with their approach to balance and skills.

Latest patch seems interesting, though - so I'll probably get back to it.
I watched a bit of streamers playing and decided against playing it solo. Don't remember much but I didn't like having gun levels. What did you dislike about the balance and skills?

Right now, I'm doing a Deus Ex marathon, though I'm taking a small break after the rather dreary IW.
Yeah, Deus Ex the original blew me away when it came out but none of the others got me hooked. I'd rather play the Hitman games where you can sneak around and observe what people are doing.

I'm waiting for a bunch of stuff, primarily the Anthem cataclysm update and the expansion for Martyr (out on Tuesday).
I haven't played these. Martyr looks pretty decent but I have no one to play it with.

Then there's a whole bunch of stuff coming out in August/September.
All I can think of is Jupiter Hell. What's coming out that you're interested in?

This weekend I'm playing some co-op with my brother and a mutual friend. LotRO seems to be the pick this time.
I think I bought LOTRO retail but went straight back to wow. I did like the music system. I've actually considered going back and checking it out a few times. Does it have any lazy systems for finding instance groups? That's how I like to play WoW. Just sit in town and queue for dungeons and raids. Can I do that in LOTRO?

I watched a bit of streamers playing and decided against playing it solo. Don't remember much but I didn't like having gun levels. What did you dislike about the balance and skills?

Well, the skill design is pretty awful. The game was designed to emphasize gunplay above all else - and skills are generally situational, underpowered - and their cooldowns are way too long.

So, the only viable builds center around weapon-based DPS - which is just boring when you compare it to other games in the genre, even Destiny 2 - which also has a somewhat boring skill design.

But, the most recent patch changed the skills rather significantly - and it seems they're now much more powerful and their cooldowns have been reduced a lot.

So, there's hope yet.

Yeah, Deus Ex the original blew me away when it came out but none of the others got me hooked. I'd rather play the Hitman games where you can sneak around and observe what people are doing.

You can sneak around and observe people in Deus Ex as well. I like Hitman, but I prefer games that have more options than how to kill people.

All I can think of is Jupiter Hell. What's coming out that you're interested in?

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Borderlands 3, GR:Breakpoint, Control - and others.

I think I bought LOTRO retail but went straight back to wow. I did like the music system. I've actually considered going back and checking it out a few times. Does it have any lazy systems for finding instance groups? That's how I like to play WoW. Just sit in town and queue for dungeons and raids. Can I do that in LOTRO?

There's an instance/group finder - but I've never used it.

That's the opposite of how I like to play :)

Well, the skill design is pretty awful. The game was designed to emphasize gunplay above all else - and skills are generally situational, underpowered - and their cooldowns are way too long.

So, the only viable builds center around weapon-based DPS - which is just boring when you compare it to other games in the genre, even Destiny 2 - which also has a somewhat boring skill design.

But, the most recent patch changed the skills rather significantly - and it seems they're now much more powerful and their cooldowns have been reduced a lot.

So, there's hope yet.
I understand that decision, though. It's a Tom Clancy game, after all. They always went for as much realism as possible. One headshot with any weapon was always an instant kill. They had pre-match planning screens and orders to fire off to squadmates. Sure, Ubisoft bought the rights to the name and now they're getting further and further away from the books, but they need to be careful they don't go too far and alienate the Tom Clancy fanbase.

Having powerful "skills" isn't really "Tom Clancy" at all. It sounds to me like you're hoping they add Wizards that can be viable in combat without using a gun at all but that's really pretty laughable when you consider the source material.
You can sneak around and observe people in Deus Ex as well. I like Hitman, but I prefer games that have more options than how to kill people.
Yeah, but sneaking around is Deus Ex. If you recall starting out in Deus Ex 1 it takes like 6 seconds for your crosshairs to become accurate which makes the run-and-gun gameplay not really viable. The game is far closer to Hitman than it is to Half-life, but the worlds in Hitman are much more dynamic and alive. Both games blew me away with the first entries but the Hitman games seem to have a better understanding of themselves and what they're trying to achieve while the future iterations of Deus Ex seem a little confused.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Borderlands 3, GR:Breakpoint, Control - and others.
Control could be cool, but my least favourite part of Max Payne were the boring dream sequences and it looks, from the trailer, that there's a lot of trippy dreamland going on in Control. Plus, I didn't really like Quantum Break and never finished it. I do hope it's a return to form but they need to focus more on the moment-to-moment gameplay than the cinematic story bits and I know they won't.
There's an instance/group finder - but I've never used it.

That's the opposite of how I like to play :)

Well, when you've explored everything already any walking is just legwork I can do without. Even if I have a fast mount. It's really more of an endgame convenience.

I've heard you mention Molten Core. If you remember originally wow didn't have summoning stones or a group finder and it took a long time to get a group going for an instance. It made things very difficult if you only had a limited amount of time to play. The dungeon finder is just an evolution of the summoning stone and extremely useful if you don't want to waste time.

You have to understand that I play MMORPGs for the multiplayer aspects. That's pretty much limited to the instances/raids/PVP. A lot of people play these games in singleplayer and just want to efficiantly solo quests rather than mess around trying to quest with others. Co-op questing can work if you have a very dedicated couple or group. Maybe a girlfriend where you only ever play at the same time. But it's hard to find random people who need to do exactly the same quests as you so solo questing is optimal, in most cases.

I suppose that's why I like Monster Hunter World so much. It's very much like wow endgame where you just hang around in town then teleport off to the dungeon. With all the saved loadouts for equipment AND inventory there's very little wasted time so it's just fantastic for short sessions but also gets you hooked in a just-one-more loop for hours at a time. Fantastic game, really.

Last edited:
I understand that decision, though. It's a Tom Clancy game, after all. They always went for as much realism as possible. One headshot with any weapon was always an instant kill. They had pre-match planning screens and orders to fire off to squadmates. Sure, Ubisoft bought the rights to the name and now they're getting further and further away from the books, but they need to be careful they don't go too far and alienate the Tom Clancy fanbase.

Not at all, actually. Division is very much a traditional RPG-based looter shooter, it's just set in a modern Tom Clancy world for the sake of appealing wide.

It's a very neat concept, I think.

But it's not anything like a traditional Tom Clancy shooter like Rainbow Six - and you'll find enemies that won't go down even after an entire clip of headshots.

Having powerful "skills" isn't really "Tom Clancy" at all. It sounds to me like you're hoping they add Wizards that can be viable in combat without using a gun at all but that's really pretty laughable when you consider the source material.

Well, it sounds to me like you're making snap judgments about what I want - probably based on your ego-driven nature.

As in, underestimating my thought process - and vastly overestimating your own insight when it comes to Division 2.

It's nothing new - and I find it amusing, so it's ok :)

Skills are intended to be a major source of power - just like they were in the first Division, where several builds centered around them and guns were secondary.

Sure, you can consider that "Wizards" - if you think dropping seeker mines or turrets are magic. But to modern man, those are plausible and viable tools.

Only, before the recent patch, they weren't of much use at all - because they did minimal damage.

Maybe you think it's more "Tom Clancy" that people being set on fire or having a mine explode in their face is something they should be laughing at.

I'm afraid I can't agree.

This is not a design decision as much as it's a design flaw.

Thankfully, the developers understand this - and that's why they've made so many significant changes to bring skill-builds in line with weapon-based DPS builds.

If you actually want to know something about the game, you need only check out their state of the game videos. Last time, they were very open and honest about this being a mistake - and how they're deliberately making the skills perform on-par with weapons.

Yeah, but sneaking around is Deus Ex. If you recall starting out in Deus Ex 1 it takes like 6 seconds for your crosshairs to become accurate which makes the run-and-gun gameplay not really viable. The game is far closer to Hitman than it is to Half-life, but the worlds in Hitman are much more dynamic and alive. Both games blew me away with the first entries but the Hitman games seem to have a better understanding of themselves and what they're trying to achieve while the future iterations of Deus Ex seem a little confused.

Well, Deus Ex is an RPG - so your skills matter here. Once you're a master in a skill - you don't need to wait for accuracy.

But the original DE was a clumsy game when it comes to combat. It did a million things with an engine that was never designed for them.

It was very ambitious, in my opinion - and they got a lot of it right on the first try.

Still, combat is shit in Deus Ex - no doubt about it.

It was never intended as a shooter - but as a freeform RPG where you're free to approach problems and encounters as per your desire.

I kinda think Spector underestimated the shooter-gameplay, because he was so focused on options and stuff like stealth and exploration. It's hard to get everything right with a new concept.

Of course, one of the main sources of inspiration for DE was System Shock and System Shock 2. Hardly surprising - given Spector's history.

Hitman is a lot more narrow than that. Some of the Hitman games are very good for what they are, but I think Deus Ex is on another level entirely in terms of innovation and game design.

Now, Half-Life was just a straight-up shooter - doing something that everyone thought was new at the time.

To me, it was doing System Shock things way worse than System Shock did 4 years before.

Still, you can't really argue with the ignorant masses - and it was certainly a better shooter than Shock ever was.

Control could be cool, but my least favourite part of Max Payne were the boring dream sequences and it looks, from the trailer, that there's a lot of trippy dreamland going on in Control. Plus, I didn't really like Quantum Break and never finished it. I do hope it's a return to form but they need to focus more on the moment-to-moment gameplay than the cinematic story bits and I know they won't.

I always felt Remedy could do a lot more with their excellent gameplay and aesthetics. This game looks interesting to me - and I'm definitely going to check it out.

I'm not convinced it's great or anything - but I remain hopeful.

Well, when you've explored everything already any walking is just legwork I can do without. Even if I have a fast mount. It's really more of an endgame convenience.

You can fast mount to most places in LotRO.

Still, it's very much a game built for world exploration and travelling - much in the spirit of Tolkien.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it as an instant gratification fix.

I've heard you mention Molten Core. If you remember originally wow didn't have summoning stones or a group finder and it took a long time to get a group going for an instance. It made things very difficult if you only had a limited amount of time to play. The dungeon finder is just an evolution of the summoning stone and extremely useful if you don't want to waste time.

Well, it was all part of the social raiding experience. I don't mind convenience - but it needs to fit the game and aid the experience.

The summoning stone isn't a dungeon finder - it's a convenient mechanic that fits the game and doesn't break immersion or ruin the exploration.

Dungeon finders are too convenient for most MMOs - but of course you're going to use them, because human beings are all about the short term pleasure.

But the reason I rarely use them is that they put you in instances with strangers - even when you have a group of friends.

I don't enjoy playing MMOs with faceless strangers.

I do use it in Division, though - because there's no alternative if you want to experience instances non-solo. They're a lot easier to do in a group and I haven't persuaded any friends to play it - and so the loot-hunt takes over, and the game becomes the treadmill that I really don't enjoy. Well, I do enjoy it - but not the gamey way of acquiring loot.

I was always about the exploration and the immersion - and Division is great for that once you've actually got a decent build.

You have to understand that I play MMORPGs for the multiplayer aspects. That's pretty much limited to the instances/raids/PVP. A lot of people play these games in singleplayer and just want to efficiantly solo quests rather than mess around trying to quest with others. Co-op questing can work if you have a very dedicated couple or group. Maybe a girlfriend where you only ever play at the same time. But it's hard to find random people who need to do exactly the same quests as you so solo questing is optimal, in most cases.

I'm not trying to say you should play games differently.

Again, not everything has to be a competition. You like what you like - and that's cool.

I like what I like.

There's really not a lot more to it than that.

I suppose that's why I like Monster Hunter World so much. It's very much like wow endgame where you just hang around in town then teleport off to the dungeon. With all the saved loadouts for equipment AND inventory there's very little wasted time so it's just fantastic for short sessions but also gets you hooked in a just-one-more loop for hours at a time. Fantastic game, really.

I haven't played it. But, yeah, it definitely does seem like the ultimate instant gratification gamey game in that way.

Based on the UI alone, it reeks of Asian game design - which was always about grinding - but in a very gamey way. It's hardly a surprise, given that their culture is pretty much based on hard work being its own reward.

But the gamey cartoon-like approach is probably why it's so appealing to many people.

I don't doubt it's a great game underneath all that - but I can't get past it.

Last edited:
So… I finally used a little bit of brain power and checked my power usage.

Wow, for the past two months - I've been using 700+ kW pr. month!

That's around 1600 Danish Kroner per month - or ~245 dollars.

Talk about an unpleasant surprise.

So, I've been turning things off like crazy - and I'm trying to figure out how the hell I can be using more than 3 times the expected amount of power.

Then I find that I can check my power usage on a daily basis - using this website from the power company.

It turns out that, at around the 3rd of June - my daily power usage started to double.

I'm trying hard not to come up with conspiracy theories about this - but then I start digging in my brain for how that could have happened.

Then I remember that I turned off the pellet boiler around that time, and that I, instead, turned on the electric water heater. Checked my bank account - and at the exact same date when I bought my last pellets, my power usage doubled the following day.

I distinctly remember filling the pellet boiler and then turning it off, so that it's full when I need it again.

So, it checks out - and I guess the electric water heater uses up at least 12 kilowatts per day! That would make it 500 watt pr. hour.

Is that normal? It sounds insane to me.

I only need hot water for a bath - which I tend to take every other day.

Anyway, not sure how to deal with this.

I also checked out what a PC uses pr. hour - which turns out to be around 150 watt pr. hour (with the monitor) when it's not doing much - or something like that.

Guess what, I've had two PCs running 24/7 for the past 3 months - and I only ever turn off the monitors when I go to bed. I use the second one primarily for movies - because I like to watch "background" movies when I play games - to set the tone.

Not a wise decision :)

Oh well… the joys of discovering your own ignorance and stupidity!

I guess you meant 700kWh per month My total consumption is 1600 kWh a year so that's a lot.

Normally, in sane countries, the electric boiler gets heated at night only at half price. It should be well insulated for use during the day.

There are electricity meters (we call them ‘energie meters’) that measure the amount of electric energy consumed by one electrically powered device. Maybe that might be of any use to you?
You might compare the outcome with lists about the energy consumption of typical househould appliances, like this one:
https://www.daftlogic.com/information-appliance-power-consumption.htm

Different suggestion: you might consider getting used to cold showers. :)
Yes, you might laugh, but I’m dead serious; and there are even health benefits, according to many/some. Just Google. O btw sooner or later the iceman (Wim Hof) will pop up as well. Including some studies he was involved in as the direct object.
Even if you are skeptical of what he, his fans and followers are saying, I surely can recommend ending with a couple of minutes of cold water when taking a shower. Me, I have less pain (muscles and nervous system) and have definetely more energy.

I guess you meant 700kWh per month My total consumption is 1600 kWh a year so that's a lot.

Yeah, I guess. I've never quite understood the concept of kilowatt pr. hour. I mean, if I use 700 kWh in one month - haven't I also used 700 kilowatts?

I guess I'm too dumb :)

Normally, in sane countries, the electric boiler gets heated at night only at half price. It should be well insulated for use during the day.

Well, in my country - you don't actually pay much for the actual power you're using, but for all kinds of insane extra charges.

There are electricity meters (we call them ‘energie meters’) that measure the amount of electric energy consumed by one electrically powered device. Maybe that might be of any use to you?
You might compare the outcome with lists about the energy consumption of typical househould appliances, like this one:
https://www.daftlogic.com/information-appliance-power-consumption.htm

Yeah, I should have done this very differently.

Actually, I made a very similar mistake when I first lived in a rented house - years back.

Back then, I actually tried to measure my power usage initially, but for whatever reason - a small "mark" on the power meter looked like a "comma" to me.

It wasn't, though :) So I used 10 times more than I thought for the first 3 months.

OUCH!

But I didn't know the electric heater would be this expensive just for keeping the water in the container warm. I'd read somewhere that it should be cheaper than using the boiler during the summer.

I must be doing something wrong - but I'm a moron when it comes to these practical installations. There are a zillion pipes going every which way in the boiler/heater shed.

I have no idea if there's some setting somewhere that will change how the power is used to heat the water. I don't have it at max setting (65 celsius) - so I guess it's around 55 degrees or so.

There's a small red button on the "combi-heater" - with a little "electrical heating element" symbol and a "boiler" symbol.

Not exactly sure what that means, because the heater was off when using the boiler.

Maybe it can assist the boiler in some way when turned on (if the button is at the boiler symbol).

Different suggestion: you might consider getting used to cold showers. :)
Yes, you might laugh, but I’m dead serious; and there are even health benefits, according to many/some. Just Google. O btw sooner or later the iceman (Wim Hof) will pop up as well. Including some studies he was involved in as the direct object.
Even if you are skeptical of what he, his fans and followers are saying, I surely can recommend ending with a couple of minutes of cold water when taking a shower. Me, I have less pain (muscles and nervous system) and have definetely more energy.

You know what, that's an excellent suggestion.

I've been trying to think how it would be without hot water during the summer - and there's no way I'm paying that much for a bath every couple of days.

That's about the only real use I have for hot water.

I think I'll give that cold shower thing a proper try.

It might be wise to measure the temp of your hot water, for 60°C+ kills the Legionella bacteria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires'_disease

About the cold shower:
Give it a week or so. Your body must get used to it (it’ll create ‘brown fat’ which will function as your inner heater).
Best is to concentrate on your breath: take a slow deep breath when feeling the cold.and try to breathe out slowly. So try to avoid gasping and breathe in a constant concentrated manner.
Remember that every shower you’ll always need a few seconds to feel comfortable, just like when taking an outdoor swim. :) After that you’ll be able to relax, despite the cold.

It sounds to me like the electric heater might be going constantly. My boiler is gas powered, but has a manual electrical backup option - if the boiler is not firing for some reason, I turn on the electric element for about half an hour to get a tank of hot water. That will really get the meter spinning, as it's rather like boiling a giant kettle. If I were to leave the electric element switched on, it would quickly do some damage to the electricity bill.

I'd look into whether that's what's occurring - the electrical mode heating constantly instead of intelligently switching off when the tank is heated.

It might be wise to measure the temp of your hot water, for 60°C+ kills the Legionella bacteria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires'_disease

About the cold shower:
Give it a week or so. Your body must get used to it (it’ll create ‘brown fat’ which will function as your inner heater).
Best is to concentrate on your breath: take a slow deep breath when feeling the cold.and try to breathe out slowly. So try to avoid gasping and breathe in a constant concentrated manner.
Remember that every shower you’ll always need a few seconds to feel comfortable, just like when taking an outdoor swim. :) After that you’ll be able to relax, despite the cold.

When I was younger, I would take cups of ice cold water and pour it onto my naked body for 5-10 minutes - because I thought it was a "manly" kind of test :)

Pretty stupid.

But I guess it means I should be able to deal with this one.

I'm not one to fret too much about the details, though. I'll just do it - and worry about the consequences when it's too late :)

It sounds to me like the electric heater might be going constantly. My boiler is gas powered, but has a manual electrical backup option - if the boiler is not firing for some reason, I turn on the electric element for about half an hour to get a tank of hot water. That will really get the meter spinning, as it's rather like boiling a giant kettle. If I were to leave the electric element switched on, it would quickly do some damage to the electricity bill.

I'd look into whether that's what's occurring - the electrical mode heating constantly instead of intelligently switching off when the tank is heated.

Well, it has this light going on when it's heating - or so I think. It does go off on occasion - so I'm guessing that's not quite the problem.

However, I might have figured it out - at least partially.

My house is heated by underfloor (water) heating during the winter. Well, at least that's the plan - I guess.

The other day, I noticed the floor in my bathroom was unusually warm - but I kinda ignored it - because it was a very warm day, and my mind refused to accept there might actually be hot water running through the pipes under the floor.

All the ground floor rooms have thermostats - and they were all set to "winter" temperatures :) Meaning, around 20 degrees celsius.

I didn't think they would be a part of the system when the boiler was off.

Now, I'm thinking my electric heater must be heating the entire house - instead of just supplying hot water for the kitchen/bathroom.

I don't know how to separate this stuff - but there's this pump that's been going on constantly - which I assume is responsible for pumping water around the circulation system.

Now, I've simply turned it all off - but I guess it should be possible to heat just the water for the bathroom and kitchen - but I have no idea how to do that.

I don't know if the pump is required for just the underfloor heating - or everything.

I could really have used a tutorial when moving in here - but the guy selling the house had bought it strictly for reselling purposes.

In a way, it's kinda amusing to me. I'm learning all sorts of shit as I go :)

If you know a brand name and type number (usually hidden somewhere) you might find the manual online.

If you know a brand name and type number (usually hidden somewhere) you might find the manual online.

I found a manual - but it doesn't explain anything in detail - and it doesn't even mention that little red button that switches between the boiler/electrical element symbol.

I'll have to trial-and-error it.

So far, I've managed to reduce my usage very significantly.

So, it's going to be a matter of turning things on one at a time, I think. It'll take a week or two to figure out exactly what uses what.

This might set me back a few months in terms of my plan to quit my job in 2021.

my plan to quit my job in 2021.
If you're working as an undertaker, please, drop me a line when you quit, I'll pick where you left.
Then again I doubt it is. If it was, you wouldn't care about going frugal. :p

If you're working as an undertaker, please, drop me a line when you quit, I'll pick where you left.
Then again I doubt it is. If it was, you wouldn't care about going frugal. :p

I'm not working as an undertaker, no :)

Not at all, actually. Division is very much a traditional RPG-based looter shooter, it's just set in a modern Tom Clancy world for the sake of appealing wide.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. It's just selling out.

It's a very neat concept, I think.

But it's not anything like a traditional Tom Clancy shooter like Rainbow Six - and you'll find enemies that won't go down even after an entire clip of headshots.
Exactly! Consider me alienated. Sure, your wizard build might be partly to blame for your low damage headshots, but I think they could have still made a good looter-shooter without having unrealistic bullet sponge heads. A better one, even!

Well, it sounds to me like you're making snap judgments about what I want - probably based on your ego-driven nature.
Well, such judgements hardly require time to consider. It's all pretty obvious. Maybe I'm making judgements because of my ego-driven nature, but they're based off the material in question and your comments.

As in, underestimating my thought process - and vastly overestimating your own insight when it comes to Division 2.
Nah, look, I get it. Why have skills at all if they're going to be shit? Your thought process isn't exactly complicated. I know games. I know there's a finite amount of ways to handle these things. I know you like to be overpowered because of levels rather than skills because you've explained that to me many times. That's progression, you say. That's the RPG. But there actually are better ways of doing these things. Division 2, it may surprise you to find out, is not the ultimate looter shooter mankind will ever create.

It's nothing new - and I find it amusing, so it's ok :)
Good. I try to be amusing. Not everyone enjoys my sense of humor but I don't enjoy superhero movies so clearly I'm in the minority.

Skills are intended to be a major source of power - just like they were in the first Division, where several builds centered around them and guns were secondary.

Sure, you can consider that "Wizards" - if you think dropping seeker mines or turrets are magic. But to modern man, those are plausible and viable tools.
Well, where do they carry the turrets? Unless you can see them physically represented on the player characters person they sound pretty magic to me. Tom Clancy games used to have realistic loadouts. I guess they're copying the superhero movies for that wide appeal, too.

Only, before the recent patch, they weren't of much use at all - because they did minimal damage.

Maybe you think it's more "Tom Clancy" that people being set on fire or having a mine explode in their face is something they should be laughing at.

I'm afraid I can't agree.
Sounds like you just changed to my side of the argument then answered for me? Do you feel like a full magazine of ammo to the head is something they should be laughing about?

And mines don't explode in your face. They blow off a foot. They're designed to maim and leave you with a legless soldier to weigh you down. In combat, you have rounds designed to kill and others designed to maim. The idea is you want to overburden their medical facilities and lower morale.

This is not a design decision as much as it's a design flaw.
You said it! The game is flawed by design.

Thankfully, the developers understand this - and that's why they've made so many significant changes to bring skill-builds in line with weapon-based DPS builds.

If you actually want to know something about the game, you need only check out their state of the game videos. Last time, they were very open and honest about this being a mistake - and how they're deliberately making the skills perform on-par with weapons.
Well, that's not going to help when it takes a whole clip of headshots to bring down single unit. I think they've still got a lot of research to do about how guns work. It's all in the Tom Clancy books they clearly haven't read. There's no such thing as a level 15 M16 and no reason it should do more damage than a level 1 M16. This is an unrealistic, sellout children's game designed by morons with no respect for the Tom Clancy brand.

Well, Deus Ex is an RPG - so your skills matter here. Once you're a master in a skill - you don't need to wait for accuracy.
Again, it makes no sense that a professional agency sends in their top guy and he's apparently never used a pistol before!

Yeah, that's what I assumed. It's just selling out.

Exactly! Consider me alienated. Sure, your wizard build might be partly to blame for your low damage headshots, but I think they could have still made a good looter-shooter without having unrealistic bullet sponge heads. A better one, even!

Well, such judgements hardly require time to consider. It's all pretty obvious. Maybe I'm making judgements because of my ego-driven nature, but they're based off the material in question and your comments.

Nah, look, I get it. Why have skills at all if they're going to be shit? Your thought process isn't exactly complicated. I know games. I know there's a finite amount of ways to handle these things. I know you like to be overpowered because of levels rather than skills because you've explained that to me many times. That's progression, you say. That's the RPG. But there actually are better ways of doing these things. Division 2, it may surprise you to find out, is not the ultimate looter shooter mankind will ever create.

Good. I try to be amusing. Not everyone enjoys my sense of humor but I don't enjoy superhero movies so clearly I'm in the minority.

Well, where do they carry the turrets? Unless you can see them physically represented on the player characters person they sound pretty magic to me. Tom Clancy games used to have realistic loadouts. I guess they're copying the superhero movies for that wide appeal, too.

Sounds like you just changed to my side of the argument then answered for me? Do you feel like a full magazine of ammo to the head is something they should be laughing about?

And mines don't explode in your face. They blow off a foot. They're designed to maim and leave you with a legless soldier to weigh you down. In combat, you have rounds designed to kill and others designed to maim. The idea is you want to overburden their medical facilities and lower morale.

You said it! The game is flawed by design.

Well, that's not going to help when it takes a whole clip of headshots to bring down single unit. I think they've still got a lot of research to do about how guns work. It's all in the Tom Clancy books they clearly haven't read. There's no such thing as a level 15 M16 and no reason it should do more damage than a level 1 M16. This is an unrealistic, sellout children's game designed by morons with no respect for the Tom Clancy brand.

Again, it makes no sense that a professional agency sends in their top guy and he's apparently never used a pistol before!

Blah, blah, blah - ego competition is the only language you can speak :)

It's too bad, as it could have been interesting :)

Back
Top Bottom