Crusader Kings 2 - Free to Own Forever Until Saturday

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
As Wolfing noted on our forums Crusader Kings II can be yours forever until Saturday at 10AM Pacific Time.

Free for a Limited Time - Crusader Kings II!

Announcement - Valve
5 Apr

Add Crusader Kings II to your account for FREE starting now until Saturday at 10AM Pacific*! Once you add the game, it will remain in your account permanently, so don't miss out on this opportunity to own this great title!
Additionally, save up to 50% on DLC's and Expansions for Crusader Kings II as part of the Weekend Deal**!

*After Saturday, Crusader Kings II will be available for 75% off for the rest of the weekend.
**Discount offer ends Monday at 10AM Pacific Time
More information.

And for the cost of a console you can own the complete game with all of it's content. Hard pass, I do not buy Paradox games. Their DLC microtransaction nonsense is worse than EA and Ubisoft combined and even those companies are starting to abandon the practice.

Paradox makes (or publishes) some good games but the excessive dlc model has to stop. On the bright side I often wonder what all the noise was about this game so now I have a chance to try it for free :)

And for the cost of a console you can own the complete game with all of it's content. Hard pass, I do not buy Paradox games. Their DLC microtransaction nonsense is worse than EA and Ubisoft combined and even those companies are starting to abandon the practice.

My biggest complaint is that their DLC's are all over the place. There are both stupid cosmetics that's close to horse armour level and awesome expansions that are well worth the money. They should remove the damn fluff or make it free, but keep the expansions.

Last edited:
The game without any DLCs is still very good and fun and you'll be playing it for hundreds of hours. You don't need 'the complete game', in fact, the free game you get is much but much better than the game I paid some $45 or so 5 years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, as it is constantly updated for free with new features with each paid DLC.

You don't like their DLC system? Fine, don't buy any DLC. The game is still great and it's still free (for the next 2 days).

I picked up the copy - it was on my wish list for a while. Thanks, wolfing!

I own CK2 with every single DLC that has been released to date. No regrets. A true classic ! It is, however, the only Paradox product that I do own.

All DLC? Total of cca $300?
Okay I guess, I didn't shell out less for Sims games and their DLC… So won't be pointing finger.

The game without any DLCs is still very good and fun and you'll be playing it for hundreds of hours. You don't need 'the complete game', in fact, the free game you get is much but much better than the game I paid some $45 or so 5 years ago, which I thoroughly enjoyed, as it is constantly updated for free with new features with each paid DLC.

You don't like their DLC system? Fine, don't buy any DLC. The game is still great and it's still free (for the next 2 days).

I usually tend to like the same games as you do, so who am I to say no to a free copy. I will probably purchase DLC further down the road as well if I like it.

CKII is the best overall game I have played in my life. While not necessary, the non-cosmetic DLC do indeed have a profound effect on the game and do indeed improve it….with the exception of Sunset Invasion or whatever it's called. ;)

I understand people's anger over their DLC, but it is hard for me to stay angry at a game that has so engrossed me for so many hours. It feels a bit like scuba diving. You have to come up for air every once in a while, and it feels like a different world when you do.

Also, Paradox has a proven track record of actually improving the game (It may take a few patches after each patch's release to get there.) With each expansion, you get the bulk of gameplay changes with a free patch when the DLC is released. That said, I can't imagine playing without the DLC anymore. They really do add variety and change the game substantially.

CKII has essentially been is continuous development since it's release over 5 years ago and has only gotten better.

The Templars are a Holy Order, you can hire them but you can't be them.

Oh, I know... but it's a video game. Maybe I could have started my Templar empire from my base on Cypress!

Anyway, hiring them is good enough for me! I'll have Edward II hire 'em and go after Philip IV - and then if I'm feeling really ornery, I'l go after Clement V for being Philip's lackey!

Hmmm... I'm starting to see why people play these games (never really tried them before but I grabbed this and will see).

Can you campaign into North Africa in this game? Or do anything in Outremer? Maybe via a DLC?

Oh, I know… but it's a video game. Maybe I could have started my Templar empire from my base on Cypress!

Anyway, hiring them is good enough for me! I'll have Edward II hire 'em and go after Philip IV - and then if I'm feeling really ornery, I'l go after Clement V for being Philip's lackey!

Hmmm… I'm starting to see why people play these games (never really tried them before but I grabbed this and will see).

Can you campaign into North Africa in this game? Or do anything in Outremer? Maybe via a DLC?
North Africa is full of Muslims, Europe is full of Christians, mix the two and there shall be mayhem.

The mayhem has always existed in North Africa, and I seriously doubt that will ever change. Much safer to explore said mayhem in a game environment!

The mayhem has always existed in North Africa, and I seriously doubt that will ever change. Much safer to explore said mayhem in a game environment!
Yes, I was speaking about the game. It's the year 1066 (or earlier depending if you're using some DLCs), the conflict between Muslims and Christians rages in the East with Byzantium vs. Seljuks and Fatimids, and in the West with the Reconquista in full swing, with the Iberian peninsula on fire. Either of those fronts can swing over to North Africa, Egypt or Morocco lands. Not to mention the Pope may decide to call a crusade against the heathes in Egypt or Syria. And then of course some time in the 13th century the shit hits the fan when the Mongol invaders fall from the East from some random place to some random targets.

Back
Top Bottom