Cyberpunk 2077 - Progressing as Planned

I'm talking about the motivation of reactions here.

People are struggling to accept someone has different preferences, and they're trying to make it irrational or wrong - somehow.

It's very, very common for people to construct that kind of theory - rather than take the obvious route of simply accepting that we all like different things for different reasons.

It's really amazing to me that people MUST construct this narrative where people are wrong or "illogical" because they dislike something or don't appreciate it.

I mean, we see it every single day. Every single day - and yet we should all have countless - and I do mean countless - examples of things we don't personally like but that others enjoy.

I have absolutely no problem exchanging about such things and you all know I'm more than happy to shit all over games I don't enjoy - but why the need to "correct" people, belittle them or create strawmen? I simply don't get it.

Well, ok maybe I do get it - I just think it's counter productive - that's all.

Not even sure I am in the same thread as you.

It seemed to me people were talking about C&C in games and how some don't care about them as they don't make any different as long as the game was good. Some were point out that C&C done right made for good replayability in the game.

I think The Witcher games were only used as examples of c&C in their game and they are ones making CyberPunk 2077.

Anyways Dart have a good time taking things way over the top.

Last edited:
D'Art, you're making all the threads feel like Groundhog Day, again...

Not even sure I am in the same thread as you.

It seemed to me people were talking about C&C in games and how some don't care about them as they don't make any different as long as the game was good. Some were point out that C&C done right made for good replayability in the game.

I think The Witcher games were only used as examples of c&C in their game and they are ones making CyberPunk 2077.

Anyways Dart have a good time taking things way over the top.

I'm ready to accept we're not in the same threads :)

As for the game itself, I love Cyberpunk and would love to see CDPR do a great game in the setting. I don't expect much in the way of gameplay - but that's ok. I also enjoyed the recent Shadowrun games with middling gameplay at best.

It's the atmosphere I'm particularly fond of, and I'm sure CDPR can do a fantastic job here.

However, the long development cycle and absolute radio silence tells me something is off.

It's giving me a Titan sort of vibe - and I don't think the end result will be a game developed with a clear vision from its inception.

That's just a gut feeling, though - based on many years following games from ambitious developers.

I don't pay much attention to rumors about internal problems, because that's par for the course with big and bold developers.

But I'm definitely getting a few red flag feelings about this game.

But I'm definitely getting a few red flag feelings about this game.
I'm getting that as well actually. My gut feeling is telling me that this is a challenging game to bring to life, especially in the open world style of TW3 that many seem to expect (which has not been confirmed as far as I know).

I do still have high hopes for it though, but I won't get overly excited until we know more.

I'm getting that as well actually. My gut feeling is telling me that this is a challenging game to bring to life, especially in the open world style of TW3 that many seem to expect (which has not been confirmed as far as I know).

I do still have high hopes for it though, but I won't get overly excited until we know more.

I haven't been following development very closely, but I've picked up bits and pieces here and there.

For instance, what they said about wanting to implement viable untraditional careers - like Journalist - made it sound incredibly ambitious. I mean, that would mean coming up with some very unique and unfamiliar gameplay - that's never really been done before.

Also, since they're basically the gods of modern RPGs in the eyes of so many, I'm sure that must have affected their egos somewhat.

Meaning, they're likely to aim a little too high - which is an incredibly common mistake in all kinds of artistic endeavours.

Unfortunately, very, very few people have the talent and balls to truly go "all the way" and, at the same time, manage to retain the necessary financial support throughout.

So, I'm not sure what to expect. Worst case scenario would be a cancellation or a horribly flawed version that's missing half the features intended for the vision to have come true.

Hopefully, we'll just get a reduced version of whatever they dreamed up - which is still going to be more than worth the wait. At least for those of us who can manage expectations :)

Lastly, there IS the possibility that they actually DO have everything they need to pull it off - in which case I will be the first to praise their work and support them all the way.

I wouldn't worry about the "nontraditional careers" they've mentioned. The Media are one of the power blocs in the Cyberpunk world, and journalists are just sort of part of that faction. I don't think the gameplay for such characters would be radically different from standard gameplay.

I wouldn't worry about the "nontraditional careers" they've mentioned. The Media are one of the power blocs in the Cyberpunk world, and journalists are just sort of part of that faction. I don't think the gameplay for such characters would be radically different from standard gameplay.

So, these careers aren't necessarily about the job - but just a title of some sort?

If that's true, then I must have misunderstood what I read about it.

So, these careers aren't necessarily about the job - but just a title of some sort?

If that's true, then I must have misunderstood what I read about it.

I'm not sure exactly what CDPR has planned, I just know that in Cyberpunk, the concept of a career is something like a character class. So, like you might have a Hunter class in an RPG, you wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of hunting gameplay. It's quite possible they might have certain investigation-style quests for journalist characters, but I doubt it will be anything radically different from what we're used to. As you say, if they tried to have very unique gameplay for every class, the scope would grow to become probably impractical.

I'm not sure exactly what CDPR has planned, I just know that in Cyberpunk, the concept of a career is something like a character class. So, like you might have a Hunter class in an RPG, you wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of hunting gameplay. It's quite possible they might have certain investigation-style quests for journalist characters, but I doubt it will be anything radically different from what we're used to. As you say, if they tried to have very unique gameplay for every class, the scope would grow to become probably impractical.

I guess we'll see.

If they did it "right" - it sounds like something that would be really cool, and that was the vibe I got.

But you might well be right, and they'll just end up doing it like most RPGs.

In other Cyberpunk 2077 news, it looks like they added music composers (they originally announced the same composer as for The Witcher 3), but looks like Brian Mantia and Melissa Reese are now composing for the game too.

I guess we'll see.

If they did it "right" - it sounds like something that would be really cool, and that was the vibe I got.

But you might well be right, and they'll just end up doing it like most RPGs.

Well I am hoping they don't do things like everyone else.

Really unclear as for a game that was announced 6 years ago, there hasn't really been much if any real information about it.

Really unclear as for a game that was announced 6 years ago, there hasn't really been much if any real information about it.

There was some info back 6 years ago (how they wanted to adapt some of the more weird skills, character creation with gender selection, the game having first and third person view, all roles being in was mentioned too and they even revealed some plot information). The question is more how much of that is accurate now.

Going by last year rumors (which came along the dev issues), they settled for a Geralt-like fixed protagonist without role selection (i.e. you get all available skills instead of being limited by your role to a select few). If that is the case, I suspect it won't have much in common with the PnP outside using terms from it.

I'm hoping for that myself - and I kinda think they will do their own thing.

That said, I'm sceptical it's going according to plan, I must say.

Isn't it obvious that they don't want to leak any information so they can publish it piece by piece in a well planned PR campaign?

Isn't it obvious that they don't want to leak any information so they can publish it piece by piece in a well planned PR campaign?

I don't know their plans and they certainly aren't obvious to me.

The point, however, is that it's very, very unusual for a high-profile AAA title to stay completely in the dark for so long.

Almost complete radio silence for 6 years is extremely rare - unless we're talking troubled development or something similar.

That's not necessarily so, but it's just what it smells like to me.

They started to do PR for the game back in 2012, there wasn't just a mock-up trailer released to attract developers as some claims. They had set up an official blog in 2012 with behind the scene info, concept arts, etc. Some interviews (and presentations) back then had a lots of info about the game (story, skills design, game features). Mike Pondsmith was also talking about the game a lot in his blog and interviews.

It all went silent in early 2013 as if the game didn't exist and Mike Pondsmith started to talk about a The Witcher PnP instead. Something clearly changed in their plans at some point.

Funny fact, Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development longer (by over a year) and with a larger dev team than Star Citizen has.

Which is so fascinating to me, because there's an incredible amount of hype for a game that almost nobody knows anything about. I wonder if most of that hype is in knowing it's being developed by CDPR, because there isn't much else to get excited about, at least not to me.

Cyberpunk may have hit a point where the fans are constructing ideas in their minds for what they expect or want the game to be, rather what it's going to be. Radio silence and a very long development cycle doesn't make for a very good pair.

Funny fact, Cyberpunk 2077 has been in development longer (by over a year) and with a larger dev team than Star Citizen has.

Star Citizen was actually started in 2011. Cyberpunk wasn't even announced until summer of 2012.

It may have been in pre-production at that point, but it's known that CDP didn't began working on Cyberpunk in earnest until 2015. Prior to that, most of their staff was still involved with TW3.

Star Citizen was actually started in 2011. Cyberpunk wasn't even announced until summer of 2012.

It may have been in pre-production at that point, but it's known that CDP didn't began working on Cyberpunk in earnest until 2015. Prior to that, most of their staff was still involved with TW3.

Star Citizen didn't start in 2011, unless we count someone creating a company and having ideas count which means that Cyberpunk 2077 started in 1988 (Mike Pondsmith is co-director of the game). CIG engine contract (GLA) with Crytek is dated November 20th 2012 at which point the company wasn't even 8 people big.

When CDPR said "most devs are on TW3", they meant that there was 240 devs (official peak) on TW3 and ~50-80 on Cyberpunk. Right now, Gwent has around 100 devs, while Cyberpunk is over 300.

Back
Top Bottom