D&D Online - Another 2015 Producers Letter

I liked it very much, and it's the only old school RPG I played for quite a while - which modern RPGs still do have narrating Dungeon Masters nowadays ?

One of DDO's plus is imho definitively the narration in a few adventures by Gary Gygax himself, Dave Arneson, and since a few Patches ago, Ed Greenwood, if I understood this correctly. It surely gives you an eerie feeling … especially since Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are already dead.
Old school RPG?!?!? An MMO with H&S combat? It does not compute.

I find that DDO has a rare charm, even if the whole TR concept is kinda ridiculous if you want to optimize your character.

Personally, I don't find that strict adherence to PnP rules is particularly interesting, unless it makes for a superior experience. I don't think it would work well with the real-time nature of combat in DDO.

I really like the new enhancement system they did for the game, and I think there's a lot of room for experimenting with various build setups. That's ultimately the charm of the PnP system as well, it's just handled differently in the computer version.

That said, it's unfortunate that the engine hasn't really been updated for ages - and the unstable network performance is too frustrating for me to really invest in the experience.

But it's most definitely one of the best MMOs out there for the cooperative experience.

Back
Top Bottom