Dark Souls - Combat?

I spent a few hours configuring M&K in Dark Souls 2 SotFS last night. What a total mess. No kidding.
  • Incompatible with 120/144hz refresh rate screens for full screen mode. Have to run in windowed mode with the window offset 33 & 10 pixels to cut the border off. The end result is identical but seriously how is that acceptable? The game is not that old!
  • Steam wants to initialize the game on every launch (C++ redist) so the provided Steam specific launch shortcut has to be deleted in favor of a game executable shortcut. How has Steam not corrected that?
  • Mouse and Keyboard is a complete unplayable travesty. AutoHotKey is a pretty amazing utility and I finally got my script to give me identical controls to the original. I had to sacrifice the new dual wield system to get right hand heavy attack back on RMB. I can change that later of course.
  • No commit button on key mapping changes. You have to follow a specific sequence of changing the menu and then clicking on the game world to "save" the changes. Trial and error on that one. And don't hit "restore default" on an individual field because it will change everything back to defaults. Discovered that gem after about an hour of remapping and AutoHotKey scripting.

Maybe I was too annoyed by all the above by the time I started running around the world but something seems "different" in DS2 in a bad way. Atmosphere seems gamish for lack of a better word. Like a theme park. Combat feels slightly floaty and accelerated compared to DS1, more actiony. I'm sure I'll adapt to that. Definitely *not* a good idea to play DS2 directly off the heels of DS1. So I've got the thing all configured and I'm going to go off to POE as planned before digging into this thing. But I honestly wish DS2 was simply identical to DS1 with a new adventure, a few new classes, shard system revamp and lots of new drops. The "effigy" and "life gem" system and lack of Bonfire level up seems like some pointless changes. Dual wield might be interesting - I'll try that later but I'm a sword and board guy at heart.

Ds1>ds3>>>>>>ds2
In my opinion, you wont miss much if you just skip ds2 entierly and and go straight to ds3.

Dark Souls 2 is punitive. The hallow health system is brutal. It's a more difficult game not because of the gameplay itself but because the developers concentrated hard on screwing over the player with the revised death mechanic. In terms of combat the one thing I've noticed is that they added just a touch of post attack un-responsiveness before you can leap away. Regardless of stamina. Much worse with a heavy weapon like the mace but also present to some degree with a short or long sword.

On the positive side throwing knives are actually very useful. Our friends at From Software seem to have a killing zone fetish in this one and both throwing knives and basic wooden arrows are much more effective in this vs. DS1. You can unwind the enemies plans for you pretty effectively now with requiring the mighty Dragon Bow like the first game.

couple things about dark souls 2, first disable double click option for mouse. If you have it enabled you will get some mouse lag as the game will wait a split second to see if your going to double click. Dumb design as there Is no waiting a split second in a game like dark souls.

Second the unresponsiveness is by design also. There's a new stat called adaptability. ( only in DS2) It affects action speed. When I played I got it to 30 as fast as possible and all sluggishness was gone. 30's probably not necessary for everyone but I typically play an assassin type build. it also affects agility which helps.

I remember hating DS2 when I started but after figuring some stuff out I was able to persevere and complete it. It's still my least favorite souls game though. I'd even put it below lords of the fallen (which actually surprised me with how good it was) and bloodbourne and hell even seikiro. I skipped a bunch of optional content and headed straight for the end. When I beat the last boss I was happy it was over instead of wishing I could play it again for the first time like other souls games.

Having said that though, I heard people claim DS2 is the best one. I don't see it but everyone's different.

Sakichop, I recommend trying the DLCs in DS2 - they are on a totally different level of complexity and challenge that makes the whole of the vanilla DS2 a training ground.

PvP is pretty horrible. My first invader was invisible. The game never loaded his model. My second hit me when facing the wrong direction a good 25 feet away.

I have yet to play DS 2 or 3. The thing I loved most about DS 1 was its atmosphere, obscure lore and world design. How do 2 and 3 compare in that respect?

Atmosphere is pretty good once out of the tutorial level. The issues I'm having (worst issues first):

• Death is punitive. You lose 10% of your max health down to 50% for each death.
  • Recovering max health means using an "effigy" object. I have found only 6 so I consider them too rare to use until I hit a boss.
  • Estus flask (renewable health potion) so far only has 2 uses before resting. That's 8 less than a basic Kindled fire Estus supply in DS1. Need rare shards to increase the uses. So far I've found 1.
  • DS2 introduces "life gems" to compensate for stingy Estus. They are fairly rare drops I have maybe a dozen. Every new area I chew up at least half of them so I carefully ration them for exploring new areas.
  • Respawns halt after ~15 runs which means Souls are effectively rationed
  • Stats are diluted by new categories that appear to be essential to keep upgrading
  • playing hallow is no protection from invasion

So the net result is that I'm playing the whole game so far at 50% health and as soon as I use my 2 Estus draws I rest to avoid using non-replenishing items (life gems). Because I fear losing Souls as they are ultimately rationed in this game I'm taking very few risks. I will only risk death in an area where recovery is almost guaranteed. So the net effect of that conservative method means all I'm basically grinding each area ~15 times until the respawns halt and then I'm safe to progress. I've tolerated the design so far because I know there is a ring that boosts my Hallow health to 75% but playing like this is obviously just bad.

Its worth noting I'm wearing an increased item drop rate hat as well. There are just few useful drops sadly.

I don't now. In the end I thought one of the brilliant things about DS1 was that while it was hard as nails in many parts it gave the player enough tools to succeed if they payed close attention to items, weapon upgrades and equipment capacity management. In DS2 however it seems they have simply stacked the game against the player?

ADP to 20 and hence Agility to 96. Massive difference. Combat feels identical to DS1 now. A must for melee focused builds in DS2.

Use the ring of binding in DS2 to reduce health reduction while hollow.

Life gems are actually more frequent than you think and you can buy them later from an NPC that you find (old lady) in Majula. Start upgrading your equipment early on with the blacksmith Majula, and get Heide sword (with lighting) early on.

Later you will have soul vessels to allow you to re-distribute your souls for different builds within the game.

I personally found DS2 easier than DS1 (gone through half with only one or two deaths).

Reasons why I found DS2 better than DS1 and DS3:
- Story and NPCs are much fleshed out and interesting, and fit the environment and stories
- World and design seem more natural within the setting, rather than enforced to kill you
- novel ideas (soul vessels, invasions, time travel, hub (well borrowed from Demon Souls))
- more varied environments
- more environmental interactions and effects
- Clever and more logical access to different DLCs from within the game
- DLCs

Last edited:
Did you play Scholar or the original? I have the Heide sword but I like my upgraded long sword move set particularly the 2H stab heavy attack. With a full stamina bar I can do a quick 3 stab combo and a roll away which is my go to for fast enemies like the Heide Knights. Now with 99 agility that is.

I’m enjoying the game more now. I switched to Hiedes Tower area. Most of the giant area is done but I need that ring and a bit more stamina.

Do you have a PS4? Because if you think DS2's health system is punitive, you should definitely try Demon's Souls... [great game, really!]

All souls clones were pretty fun but much easier : the surge, lords of the fallen, ashen, sinner. The surge is on sale atm on steam.

Did you play Scholar or the original?

I played the original with the DLCs (which incidently as called Scholar of the first sin). I have heard that the enhanced (later) version is more punishing.

You seem to know your way around attributes and their distribution and you are making headway into DS2 - I hope that you will enjoy it and surprises further on and experience the DLCs. Save your effigies and I would also recommend using bows and arrows - they are quite fast in DS2.

Do you have a PS4? Because if you think DS2's health system is punitive, you should definitely try Demon's Souls… [great game, really!]

It is actually my favourite DS game, and DS2 only beats it in the DLC. Played Demon Souls on my PS3 three times, and I preferred its limited but focused armour and weapons.

I’ve got 4 Estus and the Ring of Binding now. Game is waaaaay more playable and enjoyable now. Also wearing Hiede Knight chainmail and leggings. Nice drops!

Back
Top Bottom