Dead Space Remake using Frostbite

I'm undecided if I like the idea of a voiced protagonist in Dead Space.

I guess it depends on execution, but at least it's something to make a replay a little more interesting.

I'm still hoping against hope that they expand the upgrades and weapon modifications - as that's the sort of thing that might make me more interested in replaying this.

That said, I have to admit I'm much, much more interested in Callisto Protocol at this point in time.

I'm definitely more interested in Callisto Protocol as well. Simply for the fact that it'll be a completely new experience even if it's obviously very derivative.

I'm a little more intrigued by the remake now than I was before though. It started out seeming like it was just going to be the exact same game in a new engine, but it looks like there might be enough changes to make it interesting even for existing fans of the series.

This guy mentions the CPU requirements listed on the Steam page, and they're absurd.

I wonder if those are just a placeholder. I can't imagine the requirements actually being that high.

you can buy it now on steam, considering its EA i am surprised its not 70 euros :ROFLMAO:
edit funny threads on steam hub as expected after the price was revealed haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen quite a bit a criticism, mainly about the characters, so it's definitely not getting universal acclaim.
I'm sure there are parts to criticize, and I haven't watched each and every video, but almost all I've seen had something very positive mentioned in the title (ex, it's great, it's excellent, i was wrong, etc etc, the usual :D).
I mainly hope for native 21:9 support and for decent mouse and keyboard support.

Who was mentioning the characters?

View: https://youtu.be/I3VQ-fuRugQ

A solid review. Apparently the whole game is always explorable as one big chunk. You’re no longer locked out past certain points.

I didn't even realize that apparently the voice actor they got for DS1 is the same dude that voiced him in DS2? Cool.

Last edited:
Who was mentioning the characters?
A lot of people. It's easy to find discussions about the changes they've made to the characters. I'm not talking about the so-called professional reviewers. Just Google Isaac Clarke original vs remake. He looks nothing like he did in the original games. Neither does Nicole.

Here's an article that talks about it.

Yeah, I'm not too invested in how he looked in DS1. Before seeing the images of him without his headgear I didn't even remember you could see his face.
I seemed to remember he puts it on right at the beginning and the camera didn't allow you to turn it to see his face. Or maybe I'm misremembering.
Anyway, I'm kind of excited to try it out. I really really hope for 21:9 support. Please EA Motive, don't screw me on this. :(

Apparently the whole game is always explorable as one big chunk. You’re no longer locked out past certain points.
That wasn't really an issue in the original due to the way the game was designed. The only places you couldn't backtrack to were areas in which there would be no point in returning anyways.

I'll be curious to see how open the remake actually is. It can't be fully open because of the way the plot unfolds. It sounds like they just added random enemy respawn so we can farm items and ammo. From a narrative standpoint, there's no reason to revisit previous areas.

That wasn't really an issue in the original due to the way the game was designed. The only places you couldn't backtrack to were areas in which there would be no point in returning anyways.

I'll be curious to see how open the remake actually is. It can't be fully open because of the way the plot unfolds. It sounds like they just added random enemy respawn so we can farm items and ammo. From a narrative standpoint, there's no reason to revisit previous areas.
From the above video, she said that they apparently added a bit of optional narrative content for it to make sense to backtrack? Or something like that? I can't remember exactly. I'll have to see.
My only other worry is that I'll again not have the stomach and nerves to play too much. These sort of games really stress me out.

Yeah, I'm not too invested in how he looked in DS1. Before seeing the images of him without his headgear I didn't even remember you could see his face.
I seemed to remember he puts it on right at the beginning and the camera didn't allow you to turn it to see his face. Or maybe I'm misremembering.
There's not just DS1 though. There were three games, and fans saw his face a lot more in DS2 and DS3.

Imagine if they remade Max Payne and used a completely different face.

There's not just DS1 though. There were three games, and fans saw his face a lot more in DS2 and DS3.

Imagine if they remade Max Payne and used a completely different face.
Yeah, I can see that. In theory at least. As I said, I'm not attached to how he looks. But if Max had suffered similarly I'd probably be pissed.

EDIT: Actually, wait. Didn't Max Payne 2 use a different face actor? And the departure wasn't exactly close either, from what I remember.
Yeah, Max Payne 1 had the lead's (Sam Lake) face, and 2 had Timothy Gibbs. Though there was an age difference.

Anyway, I'd personally be a lot more pissed if they didn't use the same voice actor.

This does open up a good topic, as to what face will Remedy use for the remake of Max Payne 1 and 2. I would assume Timothy Gibbs? But he's probably too old for Max Payne 1?
I'll be curious to see.

My only other worry is that I'll again not have the stomach and nerves to play too much. These sort of games really stress me out.
Dead Space does a great job of building tension, but I rarely felt stressed unless I was very low on ammo. If you think DS is stressful, check out Outlast. Make sure you're wearing your brown pants. ;)

Dead Space does a great job of building tension, but I rarely felt stressed unless I was very low on ammo. If you think DS is stressful, check out Outlast. Make sure you're wearing your brown pants. ;)
Outcast 2 is the most tense game I've played.

No brown stuff but definitely veins.

Yes, Outlast 2.

Over the years there's been a lot of crazy megalo pop-science horrors. Crazy ultra-puritan rural hillbilly horror is just scarier 🤪

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom