Dragon Age: Inquisition - Unavailable in India?!

Given the prevalence of homosexuality in recent Bioware games (almost every character in your party was either homosexual or bisexual except for Varric) vs the actual prevalence in modern society (about 3.8% in the US, under 2% in the rest of the world), one has to assume that Bioware is overly PC or they have some other agenda. Why no Polygamy?

What a load of hogwash. The few times it has happened this year has drawn nationwide condemnation and protests.

India is a moral pigden! And that's an insult to pigs. Child marriage. Polygamy. Forced mass sterilizations! Inhumane Caste system! Mistreating women, since women are still seen as undermensch in India. In many parts of India girl infants and slain because having a daughter is seen as shameful! I am sorry, a country like India has NO standing whatsoever to play morally elevated, just because *gasp* two men love each other.

Besides, 99% of all ingame Characters in Dragon Age games acted like straight people! The party members just tried to cover all various sexualities, so some where programmed to reply to both sexes, because if you just HAVE 8 Characters, of COURSE if you make 2 gay and 2 bi it does not apply with the average stratification! Otherwise they'd have to add 100 possible party members! It is a matter of giving all players as many choices as possible. NOBODY forced you to go into a gay relationship. And if you think gay and bisexuals are so rare... I assume you know your friends and family not very well... You might be surprised.

Shall we start a new thread in the Controversy section? If we want to have a debate about the moral state of India, and Bioware's homosexual schemes, let's do it.

But this thread is probably worth keeping on topic, so that the people concerned can keep up with actual developments.

I hope EA doesn't cave in.

If big giants like EA stand strong in front of cencorship claims. other publishers and devs may too.

I am sorry for bringing this into a game forum. And I understand, in India not all are narrowminded bigots or whatever.

But last time I checked, India was a democracy, and the Indian politics didn't drop from the sky by some aliens, but its laws are made by a democratic legitimized government. So I must assume some degree of representativeness.

I, as Westerner, am just sick and tired of countries, calling our Western values degenerate and act as if Human Rights are something that is only for us, another stupid Western value. I am tired to be treated like a stupid arrogant Westerner, just because we had Enlightement and the Declaration of Human Rights and btw INVENTED Democracy and Constitutions in the first place. I am SORRY we brought these values to you countries.

Nobody forced you to buy our degenerate Western value games, movies, books and stuff. But then also pls give back all the nice Western technology and step back into the technology level of the Middle Ages, which some people in these countries seem to love more than our Modern Liberty. So if you think Gay people are from Satan and we Westerners are rotten for tolerating gays, fine, but please give back your computers and cellphones, cars and trains, your constitutions and democracy, because WE evil Westerners invented them too.

Just two hours by car away from here are the remains of a Concentration Camp, where among other people, many gays where gassed for no other reason than being gay during the Nazi Regime! I was beaten more than once for being gay. And I'll be DAMNED if I ever shut up about any form of homophobia!

Last edited:
I am sorry for bringing this into a game forum. And I understand, in India not all are narrowminded bigots or whatever.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all up for thrashing out these problems. It's just that I think the Controversy subforum should be made good use of, to keep the news section more focused. ;)

I seems that this first were noticed on the DAI forum at the Bioware forums. This locked thread at the DAI forums deals with this news.

I don't get why India has taken such stance against this game? Hopefully people in India are able to import the game from amazon.co.uk and play it this way? or are even possesion of the game illegale in India?

Different laws for different countries and as I see it, EA can't really do anything but abide with the laws of those countries.

"Nobody forced you to buy our degenerate Western value games, movies, books and stuff."

Go read the forums where Indian gamers are venting. It's nearly all directed at their political leaders for censorship and traditionalism run amok. Here in the US, it's only been about a decade since we granted basic equal rights (e.g. healthcare, service in military, cia, etc) and non-criminalization (e.g. throwing out sodomy laws) for gays. We aren't that far ahead.

The people who want to buy these western things probably share many of your beliefs, but the Westerner vs. non-Westerner speak, and we didn't ask you to buy our stuff, makes it sound like you're attacking the very people most likely to share your beliefs over there.

I don't get why India has taken such stance against this game?
Probably because they didn't realize that this won't hurt EA. Sure there will be no sales in India, but just imagine news headlines. Scandals (will) sell (everywhere else).
Instead of cutting demon's wings, India practically let EA to grow another pair. Well, good job India! Morons…

Hopefully people in India are able to import the game from amazon.co.uk and play it this way?
PC version is DRMed by Origin so no matter where you buy it, Origin is malware that spies on your PC, if your IP address is from india, you can't register the game.
Console versions probably don't have this problem.

In the end DA3 pirated versions will probably be #1 seller on indian black market.
What would be the top irony is if indian games magazines decide to award DA3 with GOTY of 2014. LOL
While it's too early to say if DA3 should get GOTY at all, in this case, I'd understand if magazines do that even if the game is crap.

Different laws for different countries and as I see it, EA can't really do anything but abide with the laws of those countries.
Actually EA can, but won't. All they need to do is a special censored version, case closed. But why would they do that? It won't make headlines and boost sales!

Actually EA can, but won't. All they need to do is a special censored version, case closed. But why would they do that? It won't make headlines and boost sales!

Are you suggesting that EA should make censored a censored version of DA:I for India? I'm no friend of EA but, if the whole story is really about the homosexual content, I applaud their stance on this particular subject.

Adverant is right to caution against generalizations. An "us vs. them" mentality, while an undeniable part of human nature, is something someone from a discriminated-against minority should be especially wary of. I'm sure there are many Indians who have gay friends and family members and are empathetic to their plight. It is quite possible for a government to have different views than even a majority of its citizens.

Example: I looked a few things up the other night after being surprised to hear friends of my wife, a gay couple, got married in Arizona here in the U.S. Arizona is often percieved by many, including myself as a reluctant citizen, as being populated by right-wing extremists. We certainly do have many politicians who fit that bill, and you will meet some on the street, as well. I did this research because i remembered two referenda about gay marriage falling in favor of tradition a few years back. The first was a ballot question to allow gay marriage, which failed by roughly 55% to 45%. The second ballot question was an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as a union between only one man and one woman. (They threw in something for the polygamists, of which there have been some enclaves in Arizona.) The amendment passed by also a roughly 55%/45% margin. It seems the courts declared the amendment unconstitutional, the government did not appeal the ruling and gay marriage is now allowed in Arizona as of last month. I mention all this simply as an illustration that 55% to 45%, the popular opinion amongst people who actually vote, is much closer than many of the politicos and idealogues would have had us believe.

Are you suggesting that EA should make censored a censored version of DA:I for India? I'm no friend of EA but, if the whole story is really about the homosexual content, I applaud their stance on this particular subject.

Not really. Reread it whole. EA gets more benefits this way. :)

Of course, when the fuss is over with, they still can make the censored version. Modders will make uncensor mod, everyone's happy.

It's not the first time India has banned a particular video game. I seem to remember Fallout 3 being banned due to it's depiction of two-headed cows, which they said would offend some faiths there. DA:I however shouldn't be in the same category - you would never see the controversial content unless the player made the choice to pursue that romance.

I never saw the point in the in-game romances anyway. They didn't seem to add much to the game, I am not wanting to play a dating sim. In some cases they seem downright inappropriate, like Commander Shepard romancing subordinates under his command in Mass Effect, an action that is frowned upon in many organizations.

It's just really sad to me to think that these countries and people in these various countries are so unenlightened. It seems that many people still want to live in the Stone Age and have no regard for advancement in ideas or culture. It's just sad to me.

Of course, I'm a progressive, so I am trying to advance the evolution of the human race. But regardless, I'm sure that the future is bright for us, because the internet will play a huge part in outing these antiquated belief systems. Eventually (and hopefully), future generations will come to their senses and realize that all people are equal and they shouldn't give a damn about one's sexual orientation.

But then you read something about albino people being killed in Africa because these ancient witch doctors or shamans or whatever believe that albinos body parts have magical properties. Sometimes I just feel I'm not from the same planet as these people.

But let's end this mini-rant on a positive note. Things are going to get better, I just know it ;)

In some cases they seem downright inappropriate, like Commander Shepard romancing subordinates under his command in Mass Effect, an action that is frowned upon in many organizations.

I hear you, but I was ready to face the frowns at the court martial for that blue girl! :lol:

Oh and… A slightly offtopic pic from tweeter last year, but since GTA5 full of nudity had no problems with laws in India, let's see how Rockstar solves issues compared to EA:
Ea_0265c8_4826934.jpg

Dunno if it's authentic, but it's true.

Of course it's not authentic. Twitter has a character limit of 140.

Equating "western values" with social progressivism is wrong,not helpful and leads you down the wrong path. There are plenty of western "values" that are regressive and social progress was historically anything but limited to the western world.

Also why the hell was Risen banned in Australia?

:mwahaha: sorry joxer, can't help it...

Back
Top Bottom