Drakensang Online - Interview, "Too few people bought Drakensang"

The Polish CE was even better than the German CE.

Good to hear it's coming out over there. I hope RoT will have decent sales. It's clearly better than DraSa, just a bit short.

i have a friend who's sister and husband moved there, this was 15 years ago and they still can't speak danish, they do understand it quite well though hehe

As a Dane - and language teacher in Danish to foreigners, I have to agree with this.
And the big challenge is that in Norway and Sweden, they sound every syllable out loud and clear, not so in Danish. We have a strong tendency to reductionism e.g. a word like morgenen (the morning) will be spoken like this [mornen]. And there's plenty of other examples for this as well.

And, yes, the children in scholl who learn to write in Danish have exactly the same problems with this as the foreigners have, i.e. they both will write 'jæm' for hjem (home) because they write what they hear.

As for the little film about Danish, most Danes will probably think it is cute...

Back to the topic at hand: I wanted to get Drakensang in German (or in English), but hadn't the money when the game was released in 2008? I tried the demo of TRoT, but didn't like it much, mainly because the game wasn't about me as the hero, but about -ahem- three other people. That might not be a big problem, if the story was interesting. It wasn't - to me, that is.

The rule system used for both Drakensang and River of Time could certainly need a bit more streamlining, I find. I found the level up thing in Drakensang very confusing, but eventually got the hang of it.

As for they didn't go for Steam or Gamer's Gate, I don't know.

The Polish CE was even better than the German CE.

Good to hear it's coming out over there. I hope RoT will have decent sales.
Yeah, our CEs tend to be quite lavish. CD Projekt started the trend, with even regular releases, back when most people were pirates (software copyright laws in Poland have been in place only since 1994!), to convince them that it's in their own interest to pay for a legal copy.

The Polish version of RoT already got a positive review from CD Action; I think it should be in stores soon. I have Drakensang, but I haven't played it yet due to lack of time; unfortunately I heard bad stuff about the translation.

Well, I hope the game does well. I don't think even stellar sales in Poland may convince foreign publishers to grab the title, though...

Oh, I'm so jealous having just seen the Polish CE in the other thread ! How much does it cost, in Euros ?

43.15 Euros. But I'm not sure about whether shipping is included (I'd say it isn't).

And there are supposedly some bonus in-game items in the CE (if you order via www.drakensang.pl); the website says both that you get all 4 AND that you can choose one of them. No idea what they mean by this.

And, what's worse, I just clicked "buy now" on their link to the CE edition and got a "the page cannot be displayed" error. Well, there's Techland for you. Hope they sort this out.

Cool, nice to know that, thanks! Some "regular" releases of new games are more expensive than that...

the website says both that you get all 4 AND that you can choose one of them. No idea what they mean by this.

That's simple.

The German PE had 2 items that could be personlized.

Initially, the handbook and all press releases and texts said that you had to chose for one of both.

But essentially, there was no way or reason to hinder the buyer to get the other item, too. Which everyone did, as sool as this possibility became known. ;)

There are I think 3 or 4 items available through other versions of the game : The CE, a commercial donload-only version, an item that came as a bonus code with a magazine, and an item one could win in a small game of the official web site. All of these items are basically notthing but codes.

The German PE is perhaps one of the most exclusive game editions ever, except of course to those available for press editors only.

Seeing the "downfall" of Radon Labs I'm actually glad I chose to order a PE.
Despite its heavy price.

Here's an excellent overview on what's currently happening around TDE = DSA : http://zivilschein.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/wandeln-in-den-zeiten-von-dsa/

Google seems to translate it very good into English as well - except the very last few paragraphs, which it just seems to skip.

I don't know how to do this, apart from copy & paste.

Everyone interested in TDE = DSA should imho read it !

Edit : Here's the google translation :

Please note that google translations translated "Drakensang" as "Flashpoint" !

After 25 years, "The Dark Eye" (DSA) brought the issuing Verlag Ulisses drastic changes to the way the table will be further developed in RPG.
Ulrich Kiesow, the DSA was first published in 1984 brought to the Schmidt games (first in cooperation with Droemer Knaur) had died in 1997 and shortly thereafter had filed for bankruptcy Schmidt games. After having briefly looked uncertain for the success of role play, was founded by Ulrich Kiesow Fantasy Fantasy Productions Publisher (FanPro) took over the publication. Ten years later he gave it again: The DSA novels published FanPro continue that went for the contents of the table RPG responsible DSA-editors but also on how the publishing rights to all relevant publications for 2007 to the role-Verlag Ulisses.

A year later, shortly after the Ratcon 2008, Florian was Don-looking of the Editorial Board for DSA relieved. He had taken over after Ulrich Kiesows death in 1997 this function together with his colleague Thomas Roman of the DSA-inventor. Thomas Romans, who had previously been next to Don Florian equal-looking chief, took over the now altogether.
The move announced irritated some difficult, especially since he neither by Ulisses, nor from the ex-editor in chief himself, or his colleagues and has played this was the Ratcon 2008 just before this change is still very active in his old role.

Really dramatically, however, were only the changes in the anniversary year 2009, when it was restructured in the fall of the editorial itself. When was the coordinated FanPro DSA Redakion a little loose group of authors, their approach by the chief editor was, but had all the creative influence on the development of the role play. Ulisses replaced this model with a clearly defined pool of editors who are supposed to implement what is decided by a five-member "core editorial. Patric Götz became the head of them, and also worked further as a publishing manager at Ulisses (a task which he resigned a few months after the restructuring). Thomas Roman, who supported him, acts as their spokesman. The other key editors are Chris Gosse, Daniel Richter and Uli Simon Lindner.

The new way of working made problems. In April 2010 Don Florian took a look-up his hat and left the DSA-editing for all. His former colleague, Thomas Romans, after all this time wrote a short note about it, otherwise it remained outwardly calm down.
Florian Don-looking but still written fantasy texts, this limits at DSA but since then on novels that are not in Ulysses, but moved further in FanPro.

On 18 August, Mark Wachholz then removed from the office. Thomas Romans founded this in the official statement:

We consider that occurred many years practical, organizational and conceptual differences for non-bridged and have therefore decided after lengthy consideration to this step.

Content, organization and conceptual differences?
Mark Wachholz has made since leaving a lot of text on the Internet. In his first lengthy opinion, the differences referred to read as follows:

The reason for the trouble I've caused apparently the publisher is, in my personal opinion, probably the fact that I not only with the Metaplot quasi-planning activity in the DSA-produced editorial, […] but that I also had repeatedly expressed criticism of the "disempowerment" of the DSA-editing by the insertion of the core editors in the autumn of last year. For this request, since then decide on publishing anything that happens to DSA and are in direct contact with the Publisher. Basically as a five-member Editorial Board, so I was taught that without a top was the chief editor.

As editors, we had just learned of this decision one day before the official release, by mail with the note that this press release "is not unimportant. ^ ^

After a long and detailed critique (not just mine) but we were promised that we would see it all wrong and nothing would change in the future work of the editors. But nothing happened, and after a few months ago, I signaled my displeasure again. Finally, I must assume that my criticism was seen in the decision of the publisher as a wanton attack on the integrity and therefore no consensus or so was possible.

The fact that Mark Wachholz not the only internal critics of Ulysses' way to develop DSA was, he points in another discussion in the Vinsalt forums where he parallels between his departure and the former by Florian pulls Don-shows:

The way in which the publisher has kicked me, does not hurt me, because I had no other way can imagine, after everyone had seen at the office, such as Florian Don displays was suddenly no longer editor in chief, to do it then without prior Info had such a sudden three (!) new this place a year later and filled up with what bitter words he finally, in April this year finally took his hat from the DSA office. Someone much longer and been much more responsible position than I was.

In response to the sacking of Mark Wachholz also occurred Tyll Zybura and Katharina Pietsch from the DSA-editing, both of which were taken a few years ago as a dedicated DSA fans in this - as this was still Fanpro.

Tyll Zybura said in his statement of "many years […] of disappointment and frustration with the editorial operations (and more generally the production company) by DSA," his longtime friend and associate Catherine Pietsch was detailed:

I started several months ago to write a mail to resign from the office, as it became clear that the cooperation between the core team and the editor does not work and have thus confirmed the fears that for me in the fall with the establishment of core team to work in the office were connected on (and to me even then a lot of work pleasure and motivation, for example, I had taken from the RatCon have stolen) that ensure that the work of writing is marginalized in practice and this is again well in addition to the deterioration down of communication and coordination, especially in the disregard of the responsibilities of the editors is.

[…]

The 'Vision', which has Ulisses of DSA are as many printed pages, the content and quality are secondary. This is for me but no environment in which I will continue to do work that motivated solely by the desire for good, narratively exciting developments to see to get good, useful publications on the way and to write good, useful articles, and can motivate me even from this desire.

Also Michelle and Ragnar sulfur, which were not members of the editorial team, but have made important contributions over many years for DSA said that the dismissal of Mark Wachholz the complete phase-out all its work for the RPG.
In relation to the dismissed workers told both together [PDF]:

His kicking us signaled definitively that, for our ideas to the development of DSA and our involvement in Ulisses no place.
Important parts of the core editorial team have in the discussion of our concepts […] in recent months proved that it does not see the need for such conceptual work [,] nor to appreciate the work done there. On the contrary. At some point, the point has come where the frustration is too great. This is the case now.

What exactly was this frustration, Michelle said sulfur in a very detailed commentary on the moon letter:

I would have had no problem in accepting that such planning is not desired. I hold this to be a mistake, but that decision is for the publisher. I also have no problem if you look at the reserves for the core of this editorial and communicated. And I would have had no problem with it. to discuss an alternative approach of another editor (but wait, this I would have had no power, so take this objection as theoretical) - if it had not been given one.
But what I do not like is when we - because we believe that it is not only appropriate but does Not present - a concept, and this is defeated two years in the air without the publisher busy. Conceptual work is expensive. We have done this work for free. We have gladly done and on my own, no question. But not for us to incense, but because we believe that such planning is very important for DSA and Aventuria, and because we are firmly convinced that that would have brought the players an advantage. In recent years, the brand DSA has lost more and more confidence. Players were disappointed and frustrated. Our goal was to regain that confidence little by little to learn from the mistakes of the past […] and there - to hopefully - better. […]

We have not had the right to get all our concepts are simply the go or even 1:1 to be implemented. I had expected no thanks. But we had the claim that we our work seriously and has been paid to deals, as we have explained to us with comments on our concepts and looking for compromises, even if we were perhaps a different opinion. Instead, it has slowed us verschludert concepts or, despite repeated requests not read, questions not answered, agreed conferences canceled at short notice, papers, even then, not read when it was long-awaited meetings / discussions (but of course still mitgeredet) and the like. Especially I liked it when we have changed due to a settlement of a note, just so that precisely this desired change in a subsequent round of comments, sometimes even by the same person was again criticized. A rogue who evil thinks.
[…]

It would be easier for all concerned, fair (and more relaxing was) when the charge should have equal claims to have in our policy or in a middle kingdom concept generally not interested. The cliffhanger, however, we have gewärtigt testimony, even from a remarkable deal with each other, who has found in Mark's second leg of its peak.
Tyll has given in its opinion, the frustration that has befallen me more and more apt words. Motivation has been met with disinterest, commitment was a nuisance or produced jealousies and - yes - even fear.
[…]

[…] There are divergent opinions that have to be reconciled, where everyone has to back down, sometimes completely. This must be able to withstand. One must be able to separate between criticism of the case and criticism to one, must be willing to let someone else make times and recognize that his own ego is not necessarily harmful. A successful work should be the goal, and should suffice as a uniting focus to putting aside all personal feelings.

I will not rule out that the publishers the benefits of a comprehensive plan looks like. My experiences have been me but doubt that this claim, it is present, then, to be implemented seriously in the act is or may be implemented. With Mark, Catherine and Tyll three members of the editorial staff have given up their work, which not only had a strong interest to make such planning, but have also gone into production with its concepts. Concepts, which - from my humble point of view - high quality and were viable.
Sure there are others who can do the job well. I'm curious, but not hopeful, given what I have experienced in recent years.

In the meantime, a deleted post in the forums of Alveran.org criticized Michelle sulfur husband Ragnar sulfur mentality, with regard to the product of Ulisses DSA. The excerpts quoted here follow the games on the blog "The just want to play" version reproduced, where these and other contributions have been archived to the point:

Michelle and I were not sure of the fastest writers, because we much (outside of the DSA world) researched, honed on the lyrics and had a high demand on the consistency and relevance of the information presented.
How much is left of such a work is entitled, if you have an SH runterklopfen place in 12-18 months in 3-4 months (eg Orkland-SH), everyone can easily figure out yourself. In the embedding in an orderly and übergeordenten Metaplot is not yet included.
Especially since it is never heard from only one side responsible "thank you for the great work," but only "I do not need it good, I need it Wednesday."

Now, once the usual suspects will cry, but clear: The publisher finally lives from the fact that he publishes products and delays cost money.
Correct. I certainly was always aware that DSA is a commercial product that people want to live on and need. But the success of DSA is based certainly not just a small part in the work of many fans and as such, the publisher can not pay adequately, it is as far as possible kept pflleglich deal with this human capital.

"I do not need it good, I need it wednesday called" Ragnar sulfur that mentality. DSA-products should not appear good, but fast.

DSA fans are confused whether the events. Some ask "Rabbatz" on the Ratcon or the "boycott" by Ulisses products, a sense of humor think about protest-shirts or discuss a "Wikileaks Aventurica.

The sinking of Ulisses?

Moritz speaks at "off the soapbox down" from a "storm in a teacup" and believes in no significant impact of the events on DSA.

Dominik from the role-Almanac is the "waves" that run the current changes in the editorial, strange.

On the "Blog of the Black Eye" will be found that such issues should not be held in public, because only the parties could say something about it and just this lack of objectivity.

Very superior admonishes the author and long-DSA-editor Lena Falkenhagen in the comments on the article by Moon letters restraint: our image of all of the events must surely be one-sided, as editor and publisher rather keep covered.
This restraint sees it as "real professional behavior."

herumrühren intensive in the International Editorial is actually not very useful, and kicking off the DSA publication or the death of role are emerging - but not with the process itself can be read by certain tendencies which are expressed in the representations of Gone too.

When Mark Wachholz 'notice has really happened the way she describes this - on the phone during a conversation on an otherwise completely different topic - which actually really bad form and is open to criticism.
She was, however, and this is much cheaper in mind, four other very dedicated DSA-authors an opportunity to lay down their work as well, because they believe it to recognize a certain mentality. It should be interesting to see who are the Approved.

Mark Wachholz was a perfect example of a fanboy Promoted. He wrote many articles in Aventurischer messengers who were concerned with action begun by completely different authors working towards threads or future events occurring. His work on the archives Aventurischer three to seven (the current band) meant the combining long written texts. He has thought very little plot and characters even for DSA.
On most noticeable was his work on Alveran.org, one of the most important German role-playing sites. Their regular news updates represented over the last years the main source for news about DSA and employed Mark Wachholz for several hours each week. This news item was set as part of his separation from Ulisses how Alveran.org explains in his own behalf:

In the course of the separation between games and Ulisses Mark Wachholz than DSA-editor, we are forced to adapt to further news on the DSA Alveran. Mark was one of the webmaster of our site since April 2002, the news section operated almost in isolation and informs a lot of effort for eight years players, fans, DSA-authors and editors about everything about the black eye. Our aim has always been to DSA to present in its entirety. With the termination of his engagement DSA also this work is set here now. Update on current events or important in his own behalf, we will continue to be reported here, however. Internally, we discussed in the light of current events is also currently on the further future of Alveran.org. It confronts us with the question of whether we identify ourselves with our nearly 15-year-old fan work with the path from the publisher for The Dark Eye still can. We will, however, weigh in peace.

Indicated by the complete end for Alveran.org apart: This breaks off a huge piece of fan work for DSA. There is no news Alveran.org be much more difficult to stay on new products and developments informed regarding the role play.

Tyll Zybura was even almost the embodiment of the Promoted Fanboy: Even before his first Botenartikeln he introduced own-game assistance on its website "Wind Feder clouds tower", and operates with the Hexalogicon and Borbarad project still two more game assistance sites to DSA.
The only official adventure that he has ever written is alone, "Trombone Hall" - a very ambitious and well playable work that serves above all to initiate Aventurischer events that will be very influential in the coming years. It should be accompanied, according to whose side the 28 Aventurischer messengers 138, but instead is in PDF format for free download.

Katharina Pietsch did their part by playing an adventure competition (in which Tyll Zybura sat on the jury) for the DSA-editors, and operates as before the race win with Tyll Zybura "Wind Tower Feder clouds" with many Fantexten.

Michelle sulfur was indeed since 1995 after five years of cooperation not a member of the DSA editors more, but still worked for the RPG. She wrote numerous articles for the Aventurischer messengers, even after she had looked after him for three years as editor, worked with many game assistance and since its founding in 1990, chief editor of the Standard Thorwal - probably the most important fanzines specifically on DSA.

Her husband, Ragnar sulfur, the editor of the Standard Thorwal was one of the more important personalities for the DSA-letter game. He has written for Ulrich Kiesow the basic "rules for managing a mittelreichischen fief", short feud rules and established, among other things the important Bilstein Convention (which was not held in Bilstein, and therefore a different name).

Except for sulfur Ragnar these people were all united by the project to simplify the so-called Metaplots Aventuria, that is the overarching plot lines that are not only a finished story, but whole cities, regions, or more influence. Many desert plots were started and left there at some point or paused. Mark Wachholz and his colleagues wanted to simplify complete unify übersichtlichmachen,. It focused on plots which were left open by other authors.

We see that the authors which has been lost are all representative of a "DSA from below": dedicated fans, avid adventure competition participants, website operators, fanzine writers, players Letters, enthusiastic researchers in other people's publications.
The objective pursued by Ulrich Kiesow principle, everyone who submitted convincing and courageous contributions to make to a co-authors for DSA, brought out the services of people like these.

"The just want to play" is right to be seen there one desired by Ulisses "consumer mentality of the DSA-Fans", "an increasingly diminishing their own creative potential, a massive loss of interesting unofficial drafts (including, sometimes it comes Volume XZ, since this is all in there … ") and especially declining acceptance for things where not happy making Ulisses emblazoned the logo. This is one cycle of the last demotivated eagerly writing, writing lyrics which still can not find a reader? Why tinker scenarios that no one is playing? "

want to be retired writers, their whole commitment ("heart's blood is type" a word widely read these days) for the cause, because it is the way in which what they have learned to appreciate, to be able to actively embrace seize on. Smooth edges, iron out deficiencies.
With a five-member Editorial Board, to follow the rest of the word, has this mentality is not compatible. The way of thinking "I do not need it good, I need it wednesday 'it is contrary to even jump.

Dirk has recognized this in his article on moon letters, but Ulysses' approach to be justified in a dualism "fans have a great impact on organic vs. developing world. Publishing director reaches out for economic reasons by ". He hopes the fantasy publisher beginner friendliness or the long-term preservation of role in mind:

One such reason might be, for example, "Aventuria be novices friendly, so away with the cross-references to obscure Botenartikel and 21 other products. Due to the reduced requirements are our modules already sold out quickly and no longer part of the backlist. We want a new player does not give the impression that he to acquire all these things (possibly available second hand) must be able to play at DSA. "

[…]
Seen through the eyes of a dealer but I see the need for a "flaring of the underbrush" so that DSA not by aging of its buyers (many of which are only more readers Aventurischer history, no player) completely disappears.

One thing is clear: if DSA work in the old form and economically, "" would, would not come into the FanPro Not having to pass the license! The fresh look of Ulisses is perhaps the only thing that DSA can save long term. And probably can go only by making things differently than before … Aventurienbeben included.

But: DSA has become a niche product, if it was not always a, and is constantly compared to decreasing sales.
The "fresh look" by Ulisses has no reason to look at quality as Tyll Zyburas reveals insight:

The problem is that sales of DSA products are so small obviously and the number of all buyers is so high that the quality demands of the fans, the wishes and demands, the praise and the criticism that you received during the public reception (reviews , posts can be filtered out), can be correlated in any way with the sale of the products. Poorly received products usually have received no significant poorer sales than good.

The publisher feels that is no objective, quantifiable pressure that forces him to make himself think about the long-term quality of its products. This does not automatically mean that this does not happen, but it means that other things are important: minimizing expenditure, output maximization. For the publisher it is indeed a simple calculation: The DSA license has cost so many, is so long and so available, so at this time to the maximum possible revenues do with it. If this turnover is low anyway and the publisher has to rely heavily on fresh money to be quality (editorial, content consistency check, voting) and sustainability (long-term planning, overall design work, constant communication with authors and fans, 'care' of the authors strain) even less important because both are very very expensive for an extremely complex product such as DSA.

This is in part understandable, but the other terribly tragic - because there is an extended editorial, which could actually be just responsible for these two elements (apart from editing). But the publishers are solely responsible for transfers to the permanent core of editors - in addition to their actual activity as authors for pressing game assistance. This can not work.

As for me personally it particularly disturbing is that the publisher does not believe a quality initiative to increase its sales on a broad basis (not just through more products in less time). […] DSA sold somehow always the same, so you take, what you can get. The entrepreneur has perhaps justified, but it is not a wise move to me. And for the DSA game world, in my opinion, really bad.

Cut off old beards is certainly not what does Ulisses, on the contrary: In times Participate in which the increase everywhere and a say, everyone is constantly asked how it always is to continue making and constant talk of it is that the consumer and producer is blurred and the boundaries between creators and consumers, there is nothing paradoxical to centralize decisions to marginalize and freelancers to minimize the commitment of fans.
A product that has lived as DSA Join more than its competition from, straight down into that time in this hands-potential re-Tignale place more means to throw his appeal from the window.

can beginner-friendly makes Ulisses DSA also no, because as one of the contributions of sulfur look at Alveran.org and wind Feder Cloud Tower, fought the publisher (probably unintentionally, but by no means inefficient) any effort by fans to offer free support for players want to enrich their gaming experience or explore new DSA publications. Free additional material is among the most important Einstiegsmotivatoren, which has a role.
Also the Metaplotteam would have led to some trouble to a strong improvement in clarity Aventurischer events. Effort that is not paid directly, but would improve the response to the question "What happened Aventuria right now?" Dramatically - an important concern, especially for beginners. Whether this simplification will be still remains to be seen - now appears questionable, who could make them at all.

Especially since it has long been someone who, like no one else stood up for better ease of entry of DSA and always wanted a simple gameplay rules Now: Florian Watch Don.
As he said to myself, half a year before he signed with the DSA-Editors:

There are about ten years in Germany is not really interesting role playing, with which you can start playing just as it was before. […]
Such a project, with which one beginner again brings to the table easier to role play would be an important project for the next time.

Florian Don-look has become his - like Mark Wachholz (cited above) notes for his own colleagues - and the most surprising exit may never expressed in public, a behavior which is indicative of size.
But Thomas Romans has more right than he realizes when he writes:

Florian's expertise as a reminder for beginners […] kindness and understanding will be missed.

The role play DSA remains complicated and einsteigerunfreundlich, it punishes unaufgerufene participation, and that with the continuously declining sales (and, incidentally, is also created sexist).
Not a problem - if it were only that.

If it is not.

New entrants are expected for DSA DSA primarily by the new computer games: The "Flashpoint" series and "Demonicon.
This hope is based on the observation that many who have come in the nineties to DSA, the entry on the computer then found.
Based on their popularity can see how much interest there was always at an additional DSA-computer game. On the basis of disappointment over the broken hope Projects "LMK - Legends of the Magi wars" and "Armalion" who wanted to meet the one you can see how big the skepticism was further announcements.

On the Ratcon 2006 a presentation instead become a classic: Bernd Beyreuther, head of the Berlin-based software developer Radon Labs, Olgierd Cypra, Community Manager of the Hamburg publisher dtp, and some authors put together the DSA project "Flashpoint before. Although the computer RPG was announced for months, but here were first unveiled key details about the past year in the development stage flagship.
Surprisingly there were other revelations: 1999 (that was five years before "World Of Warcraft") is a two-million budget was spent on developing a MMORPG with the DSA license. His attitude after a year Stefan Blanck brought to found Chromatrix, the GmbH, which developed the DSA-phone games and browser games. In addition, 2004 was a Myranor computer game will be published on the 2001 was even a trailer produced, but which (just to Ratcon 2006) as the game itself never came to publication.

To support the synergy effects, put it, "Flashpoint" for its publication in August 2008 at the current DSA-based rules. The scores for the computer game were impressed, sympathetic, players reviews, the sales enormous. The publisher dtp complained but the modest success of the international version. The long-planned console port fell out eventually.
Radon Labs dtp and agreed on another computer game, which should increase the success of "Flashpoint" - "Drakensang: The River of Time" was released in February 2010 and immediately attracted the development of add-ons according to which, under the name " published Phileassons secret "during the Cologne Gamescom in August 2010.

In the wave of the first reports of success for "Flashpoint" in August 2008 announced the also in Berlin seated Publisher TGC that its in-house developer Silver Style also to a computer role-playing with DSA license worked - "Demonicon should appear 2010th

Just in October 2008, when "Drakensang" only two months old, was a message stunned the world's largest fair for games, the Essen Game Convention 2008, all DSA experts: Omniamedia, a hitherto unknown company had, by the Significant Fantasy GbR the DSA license allows - to shoot a feature film. "Svartland" was scheduled for an appearance 2011th

In the anniversary year 2009 you could get the impression that for the 25 years of age may become DSA after the last years of the crack ail new heyday, perhaps more brilliant than it was the nineties.
The German role-playing and fantasy in general German again seemed to have a strong future ahead.

Then in November 2009 announced the setting of the film project "Svartland", "because the licensees have not used the film license within the time limit.
Thereupon the license of a DSA-film at the KSM GmbH was given, but on their project since no new messages have been reported. Last, the new licensees have sought a film crew and investors.

In May 2010, just three months after the release of Drakensang: The River of Time "and even during the development of the add-on" Phileassons secret, "Radon Labs filed for bankruptcy.
Bernd Beyreuther said initially, "the sales of Drakensang do not play a direct role," said the publisher dtp But, the negotiations for a third Drakensang had failed because "the recent titles have been adopted in the German market very well, which alone is not enough for a million-dollar development budget einzuspielen again. "
Radon Labs was acquired by Bigpoint, a developer and publisher of Hamburger browser games, and from that in "Bigpoint Berlin renamed. On the Gamescom in Cologne in August 2010 gave a Bernd Beyreuther (shortly commented here) interview about his company. There he said:

We have great reviews [for "Drakensang: get at War"], we have even a top-rankings delivered. But the sales have not made it back and forward. And it is clear: If the numbers would have been good, it would have run with Radon Labs differently.

[…] Well, our product ["Drakensang"] was beautiful. We liked it. But it has not sold.

From the background of the DSA world Aventuria Bernd Beyreuther speaking as a "rigid world," a "strait-jacket":

We have already had a hard time at Riverside, we are constantly pushed to the limits of the system and the background world. Above all, sit on one side, the authors create the world. The license holder to collect the coal, sitting on a different page. And that's almost tragic. That was a problem.

This sounds amazingly similar to the things said Guido Henkel and over again about his time as Poduzent the North Country trilogy, as in this format the PC Games of 2002:

After three parts and sold hundreds of thousands of games, Attic was financially still on the spot. At the conclusion part of the trilogy, Shadows over Riva, Guido said today as examples: "We thought we finally make the Mordsreibach - especially because we had just completed a deal with Topware of us were three million dollars cash in hand. But that was at the end pay directly through to the bank to pay off our loans. "From the Attic rest had as usual a large part to the licensor. Guido finally resigned. "I thought," Hey, we have the number-one seller in Germany, and it is not possible to make money with it? What we do wrong! "Five or six years is nothing but the black eye - I was fed up and wanted to do what else to invest our money in a separate series."

Although Bigpoint Berlin now on behalf of the new parent company makes a Drakensang as a browser MMORPG, there will be no longer connect to this DSA or the background world Aventuria.
For Bernd Beyreuther and colleagues DSA will be in future no longer an issue.

If the development of DSA computer games generally associated with insoluble problems?
Still "is Demonicon" announced by TGC. In July 2010, however, were the two founders and CEO of software company from Markus Malti and Carsten Strehse from it. Although the latter was instrumental in the development of "Demonicon" involved, was detained at the announcement - but now with the already-delayed publication in 2011.
A few days later, filed for bankruptcy and TGC. Currently we insist that "would Demonicon" developed. The swelling in over a year already general skepticism about it in the face of events, but has risen sharply.

In the development of Drakensang: The River of Time "Radon Labs put a lot more than the previous emphasis on cooperating with DSA-authors, in order to achieve integration with other media.
The result would be a series of articles in itself worth as examples Florian Don-vision novel "The Ferdoker parchment," the backing band "father of waters", the browser game, "Seeds of Wrath", the solo adventure "Eilif treasure" and the group adventure "Hort serve in the detail ".

If this synergy of fresh air for DSA?
The role-Verlag Ulisses regemäßig published in high frequency material in DSA astonishing punctuality - the quality of products but is sometimes criticized heavily. A result of "I do not need it good, I need it wednesday 'mentality?
The latest personnel decisions arouse also clear that they wanted to produce a "DSA from above" and the participation of everyone, for the DSA was essential since time immemorial, go back.
The official publications for the actual role, however, are now, unlike in the early days, only of role playing in stores for sale, and even there the availability of increasingly diluted.

About browser or mobile phone games are not likely to find new players to DSA, for the media are too different - rather, the synergy here works in reverse. The novels have disappeared in recent years also made of the fantasy shelves of regular stores: the demand is just too low now, as that department stores and bookstores still interpret DSA novels.

The DSA-movie "Svartland is failed and the replacement project of the film is KSM after nine months of licensing even less well known than" Svartland "already to his notice.
The DSA film would have some possibilities, but that someone would make him the first place.

Of DSA for television or DVD release has been for years to hear any more.

The computer games are sold with accompanying DSA basic regulations, and if the effect of the North Country trilogy still occurs, there is some potential in them. But Radon Labs, now called Bigpoint Berlin, none will make more and TGC's "Demonicon" there is much more speculation than tangible material, its original publication date is already passé.

But what is the significance of the already available "Drakensang" games for the RPG? In my conversation with Florian said Don look a year ago, the then editor of the DSA members me this:

If we table today Roleplayers asks how they came to DSA, tell very many - especially by those who are already longer there - that she was by the previous games, the "Nordland Trilogy" have been added.
On the other hand it is true that by "Flashpoint", which indeed has been a while now on the market, no measurable increase in sales is taking place in print role-playing.

No measurable increase.

looks after heyday of the German role is not at all any more. Of course this has to answer by far not only Ulisses and of course none of this is the result of the personnel upheavals in the DSA office.

But DSA is at a turning point. With sagging sales and turning away players, while failing left and right further DSA projects, no one succeeds, the turnaround can be introduced with the new prospects and DSA itself, the flagship of German and German role-playing fantasy, sinks into obscurity.

That's the change, the DSA is exposed in these times.

Last edited:
If that comes with English (i.e. English subtitles/text), I'm so buying it.

Unfortunately if you go through some of the videos on Polish drakensang site
http://www.drakensang.pl/

you can clearly see that everything is in Polish (including UI), only recorded voices in intro movie is in English. Also German documentaries on separate DVD have English subtitles.

Another article from the above mentioned source, processed through google translations ("Sulfur" is an actual second name here ! - And odd is that Google translations translated "Drakensang" as "Flashpoint" ???) :

[Source : http://zivilschein.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/wir-mochten-drakensang-aber-zu-wenige-haben-es-gekauft/ ]

Normally there is no link to each article without commenting, but in my research for the current series of articles on the breaks at DSA, I came across an interview published yesterday, which led to the recent buffed.de Gamescom 2010 in Cologne, with Bernd Beyreuther has.
Bernd Beyreuther was one of the two founders and managers of the Berlin software house Radon Labs and was with his colleague André Blechschmidt has been involved in its predecessor firm Terra Tools, where he developed the strategy game "Urban Assault" has helped to develop.
In Radon Labs, he was the creative force behind "Project Nomads" and "Flashpoint" games, but had to share the responsibility as a company director and the insolvency of the company in May 2010.

After Radon Labs was acquired by the online game developer Bigpoint is to develop and license the next without DSA Drakensang as a browser game, he spoke in unusually plain language in an interview with the online gaming magazine buffed.de on the past events.
Anyone who is interested in Drakensang, DSA or game design in general is likely to gain from this interview enlightening insights.

I quote at this point, some comments, a few particularly sensitive places as a taster:

Drakensang is an online game.

The last few weeks before the bankruptcy were really nerve-jangling. 28 May we did not know who on 1 June will be our employer.

In principle, it was only once a "Clash of the Cultures". It makes no picture at all, how different the business models are, how different the whole mentality and the modes of production are. Since two completely different worlds collide.

This and the previous quote to throw some light on how much Radon Labs was involved in the cooperation with Bigpoint really interested and how much of what now lies before the "Bigpoint Berlin" referred to the development team, to do with his previous performances had.

We have great reviews [for "Drakensang: get at War"], we have even a top-rankings delivered. But the sales have not made it back and forward. And it is clear: If the numbers would have been good, it would have run with Radon Labs differently.

"Die in beauty" was the wording that was in the room. We want Drakensang, but too few people have bought.

These two quotes read quite remarkable given the many weeks that have brought both Drakensang games in the front ranks of the German sales charts, the prices have retracted them, and the success stories, the developers and publishers both national and on international paragraphs have supplied.
What were the expectations of most of these actually already considerable achievements?

We had also a console port or the like in the head before the bankruptcy came.

Write down: Drakensang on the console is dead and buried. The port was for many years as a project in the air, but was never announced. Now she is out of the world.

We have already had a hard time at Riverside, we are constantly pushed to the limits of the system and the background world. Above all, sit on one side, the authors create the world. The license holder to collect the coal, sitting on a different page. And that's almost tragic. That was a problem.

The other is the rigid world. An example: We want a final boss and that Answin mouth of ravens, the classic villain par excellence. Was not because of being revised, especially for a book series. Since the character is completely redefined, perhaps he had a bad childhood and is only so nasty … no matter, so we could not fit in any case Answin into play. And that's just one of several examples. The rules about when we were also a DSA Drakensang 3 with license not use it again. And we had also already planned to leave the continent Aventuria, precisely in order to escape the tight corset.

This all sounds very hopeful regarding future license games German roleplaying. Not specifically in Beyreuther and his colleagues - other developers will experience even noticed this too.

We have created a product in 2005, with a focus on offline on single player on the cinematic narrative and reinbewegt us in a niche. Well, our product was beautiful. We liked it. But it has not sold.

Offline, single player, cinematic storytelling. Ten years ago you would have thought for a recipe for total breaks. Today this is called a niche. "
And again: "Flashpoint" was nice, but it has not sold. " Hum.

Here is the interview in full text, including images.

(For comparison, I refer again to this Article, the PC games that commented Guido Henkel, who co-created the North Country trilogy, critical of those days.)

Update: Michelle sulfur, author of the biographical Answin novels, observed in the Alveran.org forums, Bernd Beyreuther presentation regarding the background of the world, especially the boss by crows Answin mouth. As to Alveran.org seem to disappear now increased contributions here Vollzitat:

I must say that the statement of the publisher confuses me. They had then contacted me, and I have them decidedly disclosed, in which direction my planning. Retrieved from "not compatible" out of the question (and nasty childhood not know how the reader should Answin. I must now speculate whether the responsible parties have at Drakensang my comments then do not read or not understood). I merely made it clear that you have a DSA-known villains like Answin, which indeed has a certain caliber and an aura, should not stuffed into a 08/15-Story, and that I consider it problematic to him for dramatic reasons, yet pour another defeat - even to one in which he again sent does not act much. That it forbids him to dispose of before the final JDF "," should understand. But I also had made proposals of how to tackle the cause, for example, so that all are satisfied, and would have been willing to steer a KG.
I have heard from the publisher then nothing more …
Now talk about a "narrowness of the game world" or a "lack of mobility of the authors' seems to odd.

Possibly, Bernd Beyreuther refers to his criticism on someone other than Michelle sulfur, but the Answin novels seem to be but rather not to have been in the path.

Wow, the boring DraSa 2-AddOn might be the Beginning of a massive Decline of the whole TDE-Universe…

Unfortunately if you go through some of the videos on Polish drakensang site
http://www.drakensang.pl/

you can clearly see that everything is in Polish (including UI), only recorded voices in intro movie is in English. Also German documentaries on separate DVD have English subtitles.

Turnip boxes :( Ah well, I'll just have to sit and wait patiently.

Wow, the boring DraSa 2-AddOn might be the Beginning of a massive Decline of the whole TDE-Universe…

Well, I don't think so, because things have been beginning to roll on much earlier.

But indeed - TDE appears to be at some kind of "turning point".

The problem with TDE is that no one seems to be bothered with taking it outside of Germany. Fanpro did release some English TDE books from one of the previous editions, but there were only about 2-3 books and an adventure pack or two. If Chromatix or whomever it is who owns the rights to TDE got some sense, they'd bring it out properly into other markets. Dark Heresy, D&D, Pathfinder et al seem to be doing fine, so why not go "Let's bring out TDE!"?

I'd like to try TDE, but it's hard to get hold of the books, let alone find a group to play with. Start a marketing campaign, get it out into the public eye, and use the success of the game to fuel the P&P game and vice versa. If The Witcher can overcome the unknown property problem, so can TDE.

Well, if the apprehensions of the employes that left (or were fired) are true then their new strategie is to massproduce crap as fast as possible since their loyal fanbase buys everything anyways.
Phileassons Secret is certainly created with exactly that mindset...

Really no need to expand - there are already enough bad RPGs on the international Market :)

The problem with TDE is that no one seems to be bothered with taking it outside of Germany.

This is actually one of the major problems I see myself.

And - I think you can still get the English-language rule set book of the 4th edition somewhere ... both at the RPC and the "Spiel International" fair here in Germany this book can sometimes be seen.

I think the best luck you can have with shops from de Nederlande - Dutch shops. I'm not sure, but I think they still have English-language material - according to some of them appearing every now and then at both events.

www.amzon.com lists these as being available :

Basic rules set : http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Eye-Basi...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283766674&sr=8-2

World Of Aventuria : http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Eye-Worl...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283766674&sr=8-6

This seems to be a small collection of one or two Pen & paper group adventures : http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Tower-...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283766743&sr=1-3

These are the only entries i could find.

Back
Top Bottom