Elder Scrolls Online

I don't think we agree so it was not factored in. The game is OLD, and back then, like Gothic 1, there was little hand holding.

But I had no trouble with Gothic, but Morrowind was amazing, but overwhelming and hard to stick with. I guess it comes down to how much you want to invest in the game and that depends on how much it connects with you.

It's not as interactive an interface as the newer ones and I had a few false starts over the years. If you have patience to invest in it it certainly pays off. The graphics mods for it make a massive difference.

Depth and breadth of connectedness to NPCs and locations you can visit in the world is not nearly as much as Morrowind. It's a matter of degree. At some point a threshold is met that makes the whole experience more engaging. Skyrim was close, but not quite as good as Morrowind, IMHO.

Ok, so Morrowind is deeper because it has two instead of one super old entity with a remote connection to what is currently happening in the plot. Gotcha.

edit: I'm actually wrong, Alduin count as much as Dagoth Ur, so twos for twos.

Also the conversation system in Morrownid has at least an order of magnitude more lore information presented to the player, than Skyrim or Oblivion. There's simply no comparison on the aspect of "NPC to PC communication of lore."

Ok, so Morrowind is deeper because it has two instead of one super old entity with a remote connection to what is currently happening in the plot. Gotcha.

On that point you are wrong, and oversimplifying, as well as straw manning. In essence, you seem to be trolling me, or just ignoring what's been said.

Morrowind requires a deeper investment, but it rewards you so much more because of that investment.

Once you slip into Morrowind lore, you will be literally whisked away downstream into a completely new, unique, plausible world.

It's not just solely about the lore, it's about the entire presentation and pace of the world. Because the game is methodical and slower-paced, you are able to slowly ease into the lore more. You're also able to discover things on your own and dig as deeply as you would like to into the lore to get the most reward out of it.

I can see why others think Morrowind has the best lore. It's the deepest I feel, although I'm not saying the later games "suck" or are "too mainstream" or anything. They just aren't quite as methodical as Morrowind, although Skyrim does a decent job in that regard.

I also love Oblivion and I'm playing it right now. Heavily modded, of course. I love these Elder Scrolls games. =)

Also the conversation system in Morrownid has at least an order of magnitude more lore information presented to the player, than Skyrim or Oblivion. There's simply no comparison on the aspect of "NPC to PC communication of lore."

You mean the hyperlinked chat windows in which most NPCs said most of the exact same things as the last NPC you encountered?

So just spouting internet memes, now? If you bothered to read them all which I doubt you did, you would know the following.

Given that SOME of the information is repeated, it's still 100x or more information total in Morrowind than you get out of all the Oblivion and Skyrim NPC conversations combined.

On that point you are wrong, and oversimplifying, as well as straw manning. In essence, you seem to be trolling me, or just ignoring what's been said.

I'm not oversimplified anything more than you are. You mentioned connectness of NPCs, I just pointed out there was as many in Skyrim linked to both the past and current events.

Having less text to read doesn't make a game lore less deep. You clearly prefer Morrowind, that's fine, but the other games has just as many lore elements. It's just not the type you want to see (aka weird alien stuff).

Can we get back to The Elder Scroll Online now please. There are a TES sub-forum for everyone who want to continue the discussion about the lore.

You are looking for ways to dismiss a very important distinction between the shallowness of the later TES games and Morrowind. Or you don't understand the nature of connectedness and deepness. It's not a trivial count of how many NPCs or entities participate in past documented and current events.

This thread got derailed because Dart was taking misinformed swipes at Morrowind (as usual) knowing full well he'd get a reaction. You'll notice it's very difficult to have a targeted discussion about the Elder Scrolls without it going all to hell.

Alright, I asked the question how the lore compares to Morrowind, I think we've beat it to death. And as usual I was right. ;)

j/k I am still intrigued about ESO, but after watching some gameplay, all I could think is, "this again?"

Alright, I asked the question how the lore compares to Morrowind, I think we've beat it to death. And as usual I was right. ;)

j/k I am still intrigued about ESO, but after watching some gameplay, all I could think is, "this again?"

You are starting to sound like DArt you know.

And I really get the feeling you need to do some self-analyse. I don't sound at all like a guy interested in any more TES stuff… You just want more Morrowind, TESO is not just more Morrowind (there is some of that if you play Ebonheart Pack, but later that Alliance move into Skyrim...).

As for the combat, it works better than in Skyrim despite being quite similar.

I guess I'm ready for an emergency exorcism. Know any available priests? ;)

I truly love TES, only recently eclipsed by Witcher 3.

However, MMOs? Haven't played a single one. For a reason. Actually a few. Good ones, even.

However, I have liked multiplayer. Was really hot on ME3 multiplayer for a few months. Sort of MMOish/skirmishish?

TESO fall into the Solo-MMO category unless you do PvP in Cyrodiil (you can go there solo, but more chance to stay alive if you hang around more players) and some dungeons requires a group but it is optional content. There is also an adventure zone that is more group-centric but that's late end game stuff.

A solo-mmo means that you see other players, but you can basically ignore them, they don't impact your gameplay (that much).

The group dungeons might feels somewhat similar to ME3 multiplayer.

This thread got derailed because Dart was taking misinformed swipes at Morrowind (as usual) knowing full well he'd get a reaction. You'll notice it's very difficult to have a targeted discussion about the Elder Scrolls without it going all to hell.

You mean it got derailed because some people (you) can't handle differing opinions and have to create fantasies of ultra deep lore in an effort to prove how it's wrong not to love what you love.

You love Morrowind and that's cool. I can easily handle that. You can't handle that I don't and that I have genuine reasons for it. Reasons that have nothing to do with lore, but with gameplay which I know everything about when it comes to the game.

I never said anything about Skyrim having the same depth of lore. I said the style is very similar, and that's completely beyond your capacity to dispute. You can't make reality go away, sorry.

That said, azarhal who is clearly the person in the know when it comes to lore in all these games, has demonstrated that depth seems to be very similar as well.

Once again, never argue against an opposing opinion from a position of emotional investment. It will make you twist facts until you're stuck looking like a fool. The sooner you accept that, the sooner we can end these sessions.

Not rocket science, really.

I am still intrigued about ESO, but after watching some gameplay, all I could think is, "this again?"

Honestly, my gameplay for the last 12 hours looked nothing like that video. It was pure solo, except that there were other people running around--that is really something you will have to be able to put up with. The video you posted looks like your standard MMO flashy combat.

For combat, I think ESO is superior when it comes to melee - but inferior when it comes to stealth/archery.

For magic, I really couldn't say - as I never play mages.

That said, ESO has a larger "active" arsenal than Skyrim or any other TES game. You have potentially 12 active abilities to use during combat - and a ton of passives on top.

Back
Top Bottom