Elminage Gothic - Combat & Dungeon-Crawling

It is pretty decent, JDR. Just watch the video I posted to get an idea of the minute-to-minute gameplay to see for yourself. :party:

And the art style was a big reason why I was interested in the game. The monster art especially looks great on my 32" screen. :)

Just curious, when you say monster spawn squares, do you mean squares that have a chance of spawning a random encounter, or squares that always spawn a random encounter.

I think when I do pick this one up (soon) I will probably play with the infinite map mod.

There are two mechanics at play. First there are squares which always spawn a random encounter. Once you have fought it, you can pass it again without another encounter so long as you stay on that map. If you leave the map and reenter you will run into another random encounter at that spot.
Second there are a small number of wandering monsters. These have a finite number and can also be exhausted provided you stay on the same map. There is a very small chance of a wandering monster encounter occuring on any dungeon square. A consumable item that an alchemist can craft can remove all of these wandering monsters from the game map.

I was initially turned off by the cartoony art style, but you guys are making this sound pretty decent. :)

It is cartoony and definately is identifiable as being Japanese. That said I find it far less cartoony than most JRPGs. The atmosphere is surreal, but never cute. The game definately feels dark, in ways that most JRPGs don't.

Thanks Fluent for your recommendation. I got this at 50% off on GOG, for my gf mostly. She just finished Xulima and I think she'll enjoy this dungeon crawler.

You're welcome, Sacred! I hope your gf enjoys. :party:

For those still on the fence or wanting to see more of the game, I am uploading a new video now and I will post the news-bit shortly. I also have more videos coming later today, possibly tomorrow. Stay tuned. :cool:

Got the chance to play a bit more of this one. It's a real treat. I like how I have to exercise my brain muscles a bit in order to figure out my surroundings.

At first I thought the game was a bit difficult to navigate and it was tough to get my bearings, but it's really not too bad once you use your brain a bit, and pay attention. Digging it! :cool:

P.S. The slightly scary/dark/surreal vibe is great, too.

Last edited:
It should be mentioned that the game is extremely dicey.

Character creation, levelling up: huge spread between results.

When levelling up, HP might be increased by 1 to 20+ etc

Right. It uses dice rolls for determining pretty much everything, including the stat gains and losses when leveling up. :)

Keeps things interesting. ;)

I'd only see that as a negative if the game didn't allow you to manually save whenever you want.

So you can save and reload to get the best stats you want? If that's the case most people will do that and it defeats the purpose of the random system.

I just go with whatever rolls I get. Saving and re-loading to get a perfect roll is boring and defeats the purpose of the system.

Long live dice rolls! :)

That is part of the issue. And maybe set as a design objective.

The issue, though, is the huge spread you get. Usually, you get low values then a high value. Average values are rare.

For example, at character creation, bonus points are determined randomly.
Supposedly, it goes from a lower value to a higher value (like 5 to 64) The value might be rerolled over and over again.

More than often, when rolling, you get 5 to 10. Then, suddenly, you'll get 29 (sidenote: I noticed a lag between pressing the key and the roll, the risk of crushing a good result because of the lag is large)
The important point being the break between the values: you might roll 30 times, 29 times, the values go from 5 to 10 then on the 30th, you'll get that 29.
24 points to distribute at character creation makes a huge difference, knowing that at start, attributes are capped at 20.

It goes the same for HP. You might roll 1 as you might roll 29. Repeated over a few levels, you might end with a character having 30 HP or 90 HP.

It might be a design choice, by the way: the player must save and reload in order to get that roll.

It is better to be warned on that feature, considering the huge spread that exists.

Over the rolls, you do not get average versions of characters, rather higher and lower versions.

It's a non-issue for me so far, and I'm 15 hours into the game.

It all evens itself out over time. :)

I'm not a fan of wide-random, but I like some element of random. If a game has wide-random, as wide as 1-30 on something as important as HP on level-up then if it has a 'maximum HP on level-up button' you can bet I'll be using it - or I'll be reloading and wanting the save-anywhere button. However, if it's more rational random, such as 12-18 HP on level-up then I'm cool with playing along.

Likewise with Monster spawning. If the game has wide-random HP and wide-random monster spawning then you could end up with one group on minimum HP being faced by swarms of enemies to move 5 feet where as another group will have ludicrous HP and be fighting ones and twos while they march to their goal.

That's not what I consider challenge and therefore not what I consider fun. I like my experience to be like a test of abilities rather than a crap shoot. Hence I always prefer save-anywhere, because if it's a genuine challenge then you should be restarting your game where your challenge last got challenged, not way back somewhere that you've already proven yourself with.

On the topic of this game, it looks like a great dungeon crawler, though if I am to make one criticism, the sound it makes whenever you click on anything is really, really grating, I'm not sure how long I could cope with that. Hopefully there's a 'Turn off the User Interface Sound Effect' button zing zing zing zing zing zing zing zing ;)

Width is not involved. The occurrences of various values is. Lower values show up much more than expected over average values. It tells it is not random but rather a design choice to make the process dicey.

It's a non-issue for me so far, and I'm 15 hours into the game.

It all evens itself out over time. :)

It is better to state that the issue is ignored.

Builds matter in the genre and in this game, the way of building a character profile is unusual for the previously stated causes.

It must be added that the game probably supports the concept of good/bad builds.

Japanese did not adopt at first the socalled RPGers' convention that a player must work to get stuff at first but when they finally adopted it, they pushed the bar high.

The monster encounters system is already explained elsewhere. It must be added though that some spots (so far one per dungeon) is met to allow grinding as it is a source of infinite combat.

You can buy levels at creation of a character.

Another thing to be mentioned: change in occupation (class) It might happen overtime that a character, through levelling up, no longer correspond with the demands of the occupation. The rest follows.

Eventually, in this game, a good build is not achieved by min max allocated points on players' decisions.
It is achieved by levelling up a large number of characters and then keep the good ones, requalifying the unproper ones and erasing the bad ones.

It is different from what players could have expected from other games.

Sure, it's different, but it's not a flaw or anything. I guess it's good to point out that it approaches things differently. :thinking:

Chien, how much have you played of it? I ask because I want to know if this is indeed a fact:

It is achieved by levelling up a large number of characters and then keep the good ones, requalifying the unproper ones and erasing the bad ones.

I don't mind if this is true, but I'd like to know if I should create new characters to level up with my party. Where did you get this information from? o_O

Back
Top Bottom