ES4: Oblivion - A Fluent Let's Play in 4K Resolution!

Oblivion…that awkward teenage phase of Elder Scrolls. It seemed good at the time, but man is it inferior to Morrowind and Skyrim in nearly every way. Then again, without learning from all the mistakes of Oblivion, we'd never have Skyrim, so fair enough!

Ah the excuses of a fanboy :lol: How can you can call Oblivion "awkward teenage phase of Elder Scrolls" when the game was released AFTER Morrowind? Daggerfall, Battlespire and Redguard were "teenage phase of Elder Scrolls". Oblivion was a brainfart.

Last edited:
He's "advertising" something he's making for others to enjoy, if they want to. Not a product to be bought.
Maybe the word was inapropriate, I really didn't know. All I know is that Fluent is also relying on Patreon and as far as I know that implies money but I maybe wrong here too ? These articles look like a kind of advertisement to me but what do I know.

Maybe the word was inapropriate, I really didn't know. All I know is that Fluent is also relying on Patreon and as far as I know that implies money but I maybe wrong here too ? These articles look like a kind of advertisement to me but what do I know.

So, if what he's sharing with others at no cost also happens to benefit himself, it's a problem?

seeing that video reminds me of how horrible the GUI was. Without mods, it's probably the worst GUI I've ever seen in a crpg, and that's not an exaggeration.

I'm using Darnified UI. Are you saying that is a terrible UI? Because I find it quite nice.

The default UI is a bit too big and ugly, but I don't find it to be that bad, either. Darnified UI is way better, though.

The shadows on Uriel Septim VII looked exceptionally bad. I couldn't watch anymore after that.

I noticed the poor shadows as well. I'm using the Real Lights mod, which changes the way light affects things. Is there some way to make the shadows look better? Maybe an INI file tweak or something?

I replayed Oblivion entirely last fall. I enjoyed the experience much more than I did when the game was first released - though I was never one to say the game was horrible, even in its vanilla offering.

Ah the excuses of a fanboy :lol: How can you can call Oblivion "awkward teenage phase of Elder Scrolls" when the game was released AFTER Morrowind? Daggerfall, Battlespire and Redguard were "teenage phase of Elder Scrolls". Oblivion was a brainfart.

Sigh...it's called a metaphor...metaphors are NOT literal. Oblivion had major growing pains as they tried to bring Elder Scrolls into the HD modern gaming age. Hence, the metaphor for teenage years. We must study rhetoric! Please read this page 5 times for penance:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

PS: the term "fanboy" should not be used because it doesn't facilitate dialogue. It is a fighting term. I might as well say that you, zahratustra, post like a pregnant cow! You n'wah!

Anywho, hugs to you zahratustra...you filthy swit!!

:biggrin:

I'm using Darnified UI. Are you saying that is a terrible UI? Because I find it quite nice.

The default UI is a bit too big and ugly, but I don't find it to be that bad, either. Darnified UI is way better, though.

I was talking about the unmodified GUI. It's one of the most console-centric interfaces I've ever seen in a PC game. Darnified UI improves it significantly, but it's still pretty ugly. :)

He could be running with minimum settings ;)

Sorry, forgot to say what settings that is.

The 75-90 FPS at 1440 is high graphics settings with hairworks off and all post processing at max. On Ultra, everything maxed, with hairworks on, that drops to 50-60 FPS, which is why I don't play on Ultra, and especially with hairworks on. It looks way better at the settings I play at.

Minimum settings? No way, but I could easily get 60+ FPS on 4k at that settings. It would still look like a console game.

TW3 @1440 with 75-90 FPS? Must be nice to own a super-computer. :)

Oblivion holds up well enough visually, but seeing that video reminds me of how horrible the GUI was. Without mods, it's probably the worst GUI I've ever seen in a crpg, and that's not an exaggeration.

Not exactly a super computer.

Specs:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MB
32G DDR3 system RAM
MSI GTX970 OC 4G VRAM
GTX 660 OC dedicated PhysX
Samsung SSD
Acer 27" 144hz Gsync monitor

That's just acceptable for gaming these days. I'm going to add a 2nd 970 in a couple of weeks. I know guys who are gaming with 3 way SLI 980ti. Ok, that's overkill, but my system is probably not even considered high end these days, maybe mid-level.

Back on topic. I bought Oblivion back shortly after it was released. That's around the time that I first started gaming. I couldn't get into it at all, but I had never really liked any of the Elder Scroll games that I had tried before that.

The problem I had with Oblivion is although the world was pretty in a sort of static way, it didn't seem alive at all. I started playing the Gothic games and even though on the first 2 the graphics were more dated than Oblivion, the world seemed more alive, the grass and trees were moving in the wind, clouds moving, everything. I only played Oblivion for a few hours and quit it for good, boring game world, not immersive at all.

Not a whole lot to watch on my 4k screen so will be fun to give this a look.
Just sucks that my connection struggle to stream at lower 1080p bitrate.
Hopefully youtube won't mind me downloading it before watching.

Hi!

Can you please report if the video worked properly for you in 2160p60 bitrate, after you downloaded it? Keep in mind, the video I uploaded is near 20 GB, due to a high bitrate of 60 MBps and of course the long footage. I'm not sure how YouTube handles downloads of videos but it will probably still be large.

Anyway, would love to hear if it's working for you, if you had the chance to download it. It seems YouTube is out to get me or something by making all of my videos choppy for no reason.

I was talking about the unmodified GUI. It's one of the most console-centric interfaces I've ever seen in a PC game. Darnified UI improves it significantly, but it's still pretty ugly. :)

Well, the un-modded UI is really big, and indeed it's a bit ugly for my tastes. The Darnified UI does it improve it a lot, and I like that it looks more like a PC interface with smaller text, icons, etc.

The modded UI is not a perfect UI but it does what I need it to do. I do have to learn it a bit better, though. I find myself not knowing exactly where to go in the UI, and that of course is a (small) problem.

Last edited:
Hi!

Can you please report if the video worked properly for you in 2160p60 bitrate, after you downloaded it? Keep in mind, the video I uploaded is near 20 GB, due to a high bitrate of 60 MBps and of course the long footage. I'm not sure how YouTube handles downloads of videos but it will probably still be large.

Anyway, would love to hear if it's working for you, if you had the chance to download it. It seems YouTube is out to get me or something by making all of my videos choppy for no reason.

The first video I could only watch in 720p so guessed it was still uploading for higher quality, or whatever it is youtube do to slow things down. So waited until today. Checking I can't get any of your videos over 1080p and my download addon, which no doubt is dated don't see anything over 720p. Searching for 4k I find a multitude of videos that play in just that without any issues so not sure what it is that won't work with yours for me. Anyone else can see it at 4k?

You could have been honest about being so petty, but it's a personal choice.
Sorry but I don't get what you're meaning by "being so petty" ? I'm always honest with what I'm writing and saying, no matter the consequences, that's the main reason why I do not post that much (the second being my limited fluency with English… This honesty does not prevent me from being wrong sometimes but never to admit it afterwards.

Sorry but I don't get what you're meaning by "being so petty" ? I'm always honest with what I'm writing and saying, no matter the consequences, that's the main reason why I do not post that much (the second being my limited fluency with English… This honesty does not prevent me from being wrong sometimes but never to admit it afterwards.

Honesty would be to simply bitch about Fluent and his video, instead of pretending you were really posting to ask about a modlist.

Agreed. The UI was terrible, and even with DarNified it still was hideous. Sometimes people forget Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls developed specifically for the consoles. It also was developed without several key Morrowind designers. Hence, overall it turned out pretty decent, considering.

The first video I could only watch in 720p so guessed it was still uploading for higher quality, or whatever it is youtube do to slow things down. So waited until today. Checking I can't get any of your videos over 1080p and my download addon, which no doubt is dated don't see anything over 720p. Searching for 4k I find a multitude of videos that play in just that without any issues so not sure what it is that won't work with yours for me. Anyone else can see it at 4k?

You may have to delete cookies and clear cache.

If they still don't work, then I really have no idea. :(

Back
Top Bottom