Failout76 gets monthly subscription

But didn't they promise to offer everything for free, except for cosmetics? In my books, that covers the free updates. Sure, you can call that generous. But it's what they promised, hence I don't really see how that warrants a subscription to pay for it after the fact.

But didn't they promise to offer everything for free, except for cosmetics? In my books, that covers the free updates. Sure, you can call that generous. But it's what they promised, hence I don't really see how that warrants a subscription to pay for it after the fact.

Of course they didn't promise to deliver "everything" for free :)

That would be grade-A stupid of any developer.

You must be careful believing what random people are claiming. We live in the age of utter bullshit and false claims reign free.

Can you source that promise? Because I would love to see it.

Certainly, I don't remember any promise like that.

What I clearly remember, however, is that they've said they don't want to sell power - and I don't think they've done that.

They didn't explicitly say they wouldn't charge for private server access either, so that's just my interpretation of their intentions.

I won't claim they made a good business decision, but anyways, here's the excerpt from a Pete Hines interview.

[…] We have microtransactions in Fallout 76. But, they’re only cosmetic. Anything we’re selling for real money you can also buy with in-game currency that you get as a reward while you play.

And part of the main reason we’re doing it is because we want to provide all of the post-launch content that we do for free. So any DLC or new content we add is free to everybody. And we feel like we’re being upfront, we’re doing this in a way that makes sense. It’s only cosmetic, there is no pay-to-win. You can earn it in-game if you don’t want to buy it. If there’s an outfit you want. Like yeah, you’re getting rewards along the way, just use that to go buy the weapons skin or whatever the hell it is you want. […]
https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-we-do-believe-in-single-player-7939215/

Maybe there's enough room for a lawyer to wiggle out of it. Works for me tho. ;)

I won't claim they made a good business decision, but anyways, here's the excerpt from a Pete Hines interview.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/13/pete-hines-bethesda-interview-we-do-believe-in-single-player-7939215/

Maybe there's enough room for a lawyer to wiggle out of it. Works for me tho. ;)

Well, that's 100% true for what they've done, so far.

All the content has been free, so far. As in, some of it you actually have to earn in-game - but you don't have to pay real money for it.

The upcoming Wastelanders expansion is a very good example of their generosity, I think.

I mean, that's like an entire game on top of the existing game - and they're giving it away for free.

To me, that's pretty fantastic.

But they're talking about game content, not "everything" they ever do for the game. Private servers is a feature, and not DLC content.

However, they DID promise private server access from the beginning - and regardless of whether they explicitly said it was free or not - I think that was clearly how most people would have interpreted it.

As such, I think they went too far by including it as a subscription-only feature.

Not exactly a deadly sin - just a poor PR decision, and one that doesn't sit well with me.

Honestly, I think they've had an amazing year in terms of content updates.

Again, vastly more free content than I've seen for any other live service game in memory.

Certainly more than I expected from this game.

But it's still Fallout 76 - and it's not for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom