Fallout 3 Fallout 3: Post-play impressions and reviews

How do you rate Fallout 3? (ONLY vote after you played a serious portion of it)

• An Excellent Game

Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Good

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Acceptable

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Below average

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Bad, lousy & rotten

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
I re-installed my divers and it seems to crash less often, though I'm still getting hard BSOD crashes in XP.

Try the Android quest in Rivet City it seems to have quite a few options on it's outcome.

I'd have to say the Android quest in Rivet city has been the best implemented so far in my experience. Three choices to conclude it, a fairly decent reward (at least on one of the choices... nice Plasma rifle which can turn your enemies into a viscus, glowing green puddle of goo with a crit hit... nice!) multible inquiries needed, and I liked that after finding some pieces of the puzzle, you had new dialogue options to inquire further. Fairly decent... as far as RPG quests go.

Hey, Skavenhorde, hold down the key you've assigned for your PipBoy to toggle your flashlight.

One surprising sidequest apperared to me when i was passing by
Vault 101
. It had some interesting ideas to beat it.

Also, another particular quest, although i think its connected with the MQ, but you don't have to make it if you find other ways around it make me think about Deus-Ex.

I really didn't want to do it the "obvious" way so i stormed in guns blazing. Beeing "the good" guy. Surprised how i earned Karma doing it.

It seems that most solution has different way to solve it. And pointing out one particular "grand" quest is hard. Most interesting quests i stumbled upon.

I think however that doing research for the "book" was one of the best way to get introduced into the world.

My findings is that the sidequest isn't "good" on their own. But when they appeared for me i did enjoy them immensly. They added to the universe and the experience.

Many quest was connected to and referred to by other quests. It made everything more beliveable. BUT i also think that it will differ from person to person. How you choose to do and play it. I followed the mainquest pretty strahightforward and always felt like i had to replay the game to experience it so i didn't bother on exploring to much. That i wanted to do in my next play through.

(Its hard writing about good quest since i don't want to mention them since then, if i had read about them i would probably gone: Ah, now that is that quest! :) )

Is it really the first free bug game released since decades? :biggrin: I wonder if it worth to wait next patch or not.

It's not entirely bug-free. E.g. there are situations in which you character knows something (s)he shouldn't have any idea about, which is shown in the dialogue options.

Also, my game crashed twice when loading a savegame. I hope they fix this.

Bah I really don't know if I should buy the game. On the one hand I really want to, but then again there is a lot of funky stuff coming out this month...

Still, this one won't be hitting the bargain bin anytime soon...

Bah I really don't know if I should buy the game. On the one hand I really want to, but then again there is a lot of funky stuff coming out this month...
I already bought Fallout 3 (not sure when I'll play it) because I felt fun to have the collector edition even if the 3 isn't that good. I wonder what CRPG "funky stuff coming out this month"?

Depending on location, and loosening the RPG requirement, there's at least Sacred 2 and King's Bounty to consider.

Personally, I was also thinking about the new Colonisation because I simply love Sid Meier's games. So for me, the last month brought 4 titles I'd at least consider buying.

Ha ok I understand what you mean. Well trying Sacred 2 demo disgusted me, I won't buy any Russian video game or music production until a long time and I'll wait much more patches before trying a copy, and I agree Colonization is an interesting approach, Civ4 has been the best of the series with Civ1 on Mac, in fact I already bought too Colonization and not yet played.

I already bought Fallout 3 (not sure when I'll play it) because I felt fun to have the collector edition even if the 3 isn't that good. I wonder what CRPG "funky stuff coming out this month"?

Well, I'm not playing just CRPGs... unfortunately other genres cost money too. WotLK is coming out (which I'll buy anyway - resistance is futile), Left 4 Dead is coming out (which I'll also buy because I'm a huge fan of zombie horror), then there is The Chronicles of Spellborn and Mines of Moria which I'll might have a look at, so... it's just a lot of money at a time.

I agree that the android quest is one of the best questlines. Also, I really like exploring the Vaults and trying to figure out what went wrong - it's often hard to figure out, and with too little information available, but it's still possible to complete the puzzle.

I must've totally missed out the complexities on that one:

I got the android quest at the science lab in Rivet City. Then I noticed that Sister has unusually glittery eyes, just like the Canadian's android bodyguard (not to mention the giveaway in Blade Runner, which this was obviously referencing), so I went and snooped in his hotel room. Found the evidence, got approached by the Railroad person, agreed to help her, took the part to Commonwealth guy, end of quest. Left me thinking "WTF, was that it?" (Was it?)

The ambience of the Vaults is very similar to the originals I felt, they use music that's very similar to the original underground, rather than the orchestral score you hear above ground. The 3d works really well in this situation because not being able to look around a corner adds a certain suspense.

Last edited:
PJ, that was nothing like my experience with that quest, interested to know if you get a follow up from that conclusion.

I won't buy any Russian video game or music production until a long time and I'll wait much more patches before trying a copy

If you are talking about kings bounty, just reconsider it, first of all it is the most bug free game I played in a long long time. After I solved the crashing issues, it has been rock stable, and I haven't encountered a single bug so far. I am just telling you to reconsider and just buy it, it is the best game in a long long time, much better than any products from any other country as of this year.

And it is availiable as a silk smooth 30 minutes ( with my connection ) download from gamersgate for just $40 ( a steal ), which also gives you the patch and a manual. If you have problem with the game they'll refund you.

The android quest:
Basically, you can complete the android quest about halfway through it, by doing what PJ did. However, if you want the full experience, you have to learn from various places that a Dr H. Petterwhatever did surgery on the android. When confronting Dr H. Petterwhatever he tells you everything - the identity of the robot, the surgery, etc. You now have a few options: Tell the robot everything, but hide his identity, and recieve one of the best weapons in the game - an uber plasma rifle (special version that's even more uber than the normal ones). Tell Zimmerman about the robot - recieve a special perk with some significant permanent bonus. I believe you can also get both the weapon, and the perk, if you first talk to the robot, agree to keep his identity safe, and then talk to Zimmerman and tell him everything. Haven't tried though, since I usually play a good karma character.

As a die-hard fan of the original two games, with strong preference to TB-combat and having no qualms with the isometric look... I'm having a blast with Fallout 3. Sure, it has a fair share of goofiness, but so far the good bits have overgrown the bad bits for me. It's nice there are numerous skill- and statchecks. I constantly feel challenged and am always low on bottlecaps and ammo. Exploration is great fun.

Maylander:

You won't lose any Karma once you have permission to off "Tyrell" so you can take his gift then deal with him. That's one of the reasons I felt it was a Fallout quest because you can exploit the situation for more gain, of course, you don't have to do this.

Back
Top Bottom