Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. Coffee

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 9. Tea

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 10. Water

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
I drink mostly coffee or water daytime and beer or water in the evening. Due to slowly getting fat I'm considering dropping the beers. But they are so tasty ;(

It will sound like a bad idea if you're afraid of death. Everyone dies so enjoy yourself.

It's easy to be young and say "one day i'm gonna die so fuck it!".. but i can assure you that you will regret that life choice once you get older and you realize life is actually very long and those last 30-40 years in poor health could have been very good, way more enjoyable and perhaps the best years.. Being afraid of death is pure common sense, we have one life to enjoy, so enjoy it at its fullest and in the best health you can be.

Being afraid of death is not common sense, it's a choice you make. You can choose to be afraid to die and live life really afraid to live, or you can say you don't care when/if you die and live life to the fullest. All I know is that God is with me through every step, guiding my hand, and I will regret nothing, even if I end up with cancer or worse. Death should be celebrated like some cultures do, not something to be afraid of and try to prolong.

Being afraid of death is not common sense, it's a choice you make. You can choose to be afraid to die and live life really afraid to live, or you can say you don't care when/if you die and live life to the fullest. All I know is that God is with me through every step, guiding my hand, and I will regret nothing, even if I end up with cancer or worse. Death should be celebrated like some cultures do, not something to be afraid of and try to prolong.

The fear of death is built into every animal and human (unless it has mental problems, e.g retardation). I am not afraid to live, neither do i go around fearing death at every moment, that would also also be considered mental illness. Living healthy and fearing death (obviously in moderation, it cant border to some kind of obsession) is the purest common sense there can be.

Yea, definitely the best way is moderation concerning things like that. On one extreme, sure, you can have your thrill seekers/daredevils who will do extreme high risk sports like "base jumping", and you can go to certain base jumping news/fan websites and see all their pictures of the ones who died doing that sport, some die every year. Mostly young people, but even some middle aged folk too - more than you'd think.

These people I believe have the same kind of mindset a junkie might have, all they care about is their next high or next thrill. And maybe the next heroin overdose won't kill them, or maybe it will.

On the other extreme is someone who avoids anything even a little risky and winds up never leaving their house because of fear and paranoia and becomes a shut-in.

Luckily, there are plenty of places to choose between these extremes. :cool::biggrin:

Fear is hardly a choice. Denial of fear can be a choice, though.

That said, fear can be controlled to a certain extent - and you can learn to minimize the unfortunate side effects involved with that particular response. I wouldn't call it an easy thing to do, though - but it's doable.

But, where the primal fears are concerned - there's no way to actually remove them.

If we want to make sense of the "fear of death" - then we need to agree what we're talking about. Usually, you don't feel the fear of death until you perceive your life to be in actual danger. When that happens, instincts tend to take over - and you will have the flight or fight response in most cases.

Your life doesn't have to be in danger at all, though - you just have to experience that perception. Anxiety disorders provoke that kind of fear in people, for instance - and that's very hard to keep under control. Again, it's doable with practice.

If we're talking about the average everyday thinking of death as a thing we don't look forward to, that's not the fear response. That's more of an intellectual exercise and something that's proportionally much easier to keep in check and which you don't have to feel on a profound level.

yes it does not need to be in an alarming way at all, just common sense; "do i want to live rather healthy and being extremely thankful at older age that i did" or "do i want to throw it out of the window, i will die one day, so i don't care!" (naive thinking because you will absolutely care when you do get sick).

I find it a bit depressing that someone would argue that trying to stay away from e.g too much sugar or alcohol/tobacco would prove life pretty much worthless - that its the best life has to offer.

We are human beings who can contemplate our own existence. Of course you can conquer fear of death. The reason other animals don't appear to is because they are animals, not human. To live fearlessly is something few people can truly say they do, but you know it when you see it. And once you realize you are a divine child of God, what is there to fear? You're immortal, this fleshy body is nothing compared to what you truly are. Ego is what causes fear, and you can transcend that through self-realization.

That's fine, I'm not posting to get anyone to agree or disagree. But once you find the truth of who and what you really are, fear goes out the window. I'll be happy to go when my time is up, however it may be, knowing I enjoyed what the mortal world had to offer.

Consider this, Bob Marley died from cancer starting in his toe that could have been treated and he chose not to. Did he worry when he got sick? He lived by grace. Timothy Leary died of cancer with a smile on his face and laughter in his heart. Death is just an idea, it isn't real. What you truly are cannot die, and you can discover that on your own. Then the world just becomes a playground of experience rather than a robotic march of cultural and social conditioning.

When I say the ego is the one afraid of death, it's because the ego believes it is losing something. Losing my wife, my house, my possessions. But the ego is just a thought believed in, compounded over time and built as a structure by thoughts, cultural and social conditioning. If you come to the realization that you really don't own anything and the ego is simply a trick of the mind (which the mind itself is simply a thought, a nothing, in other words), then there is nothing to fear losing, even life itself.

I don't think you understand the kind of fear I'm talking about. Accepting death is not the same as not feeling fear - or responding to life-threatening danger with the instinctual fight or flight response.

I mean, I have absolutely no problem with people wanting to hold on to some kind of desperate religious fantasy in order to keep life bearable - but I'm not going to ignore my own personal experience until such time as a convincing alternative rears its head.

Buddha, Christ, Krishna, Rumi, Mooji, etc., did not have fight or flight response. Fight or flight is an ego fear, which had been transcended by those beings.

An alternative is there for all to discover. If anyone is interested in discovering what you truly are, I'd recommend watching this video from the point of 15 minutes on, for just the short duration of The Invitation (30 minutes or so). - https://youtu.be/eaV2yJ_sUmE?t=901

Ego-death is interesting (experienced it a few times on LSD and DMT, possibly on Psilocybin). But no, i'm not a religious person and i believe we have one life and that "our body is our temple", more so as i age and become more intelligent. Even as a hardened "Psychonaut" i thought Timothy Leary was fucking idiot that ruined a lot for e.g psychedelic research.

Thinking the body is a temple is an ego thought. It wants to preserve something, keep something, but nothing is your possession truly. The body is not sentient, it is nothing, just flesh, blood, bone and marrow. It's a time body that is subject to time. "Building intelligence" itself is ego, it's building onto the ego which is just thoughts that you believe in. The true self is not bound to time, it is timeless. There is no one life either, we've all likely been here countless times as other incarnations, with the ultimate incarnation being the human being who can contemplate its own existence for the purpose of awakening to the truth of its existence.

I really recommend trying that short exercise I posted. If you've ever wondered who you truly are, why am I here, what am I truly, etc., you can have those questions answered right now.

Fluent, you sound like you're using us to convince yourself.

I recommend against that tactic. I will always seek to contribute in this way - and, in my world, that would mean endorsing reality over these fantasies.

So, if you want to hold on to them - please don't push it :)

Just try the exercise. We can talk about it after you've given it a try.

Back
Top Bottom